Twisted Pear Releases ES Sabre 9028/9038 DAC Boards

SCompRacer
SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
edited November 2017 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
p2poln0mbki5.jpg

I still enjoy the DIY Twisted Pear Buffalo III ES Sabre 9018 DAC I built in 2012 immensely, but it’s time to move on and up. I was considering buying a DAC with the new ES Sabre chip however Twisted Pear finally, after a year and a half, released their ES Sabre 9028/9038 DAC boards. The 9028 is a simpler stereo DAC while the 9038 can be made into an 8 channel DAC or summed for two channel stereo.

I like Twisted Pear for many reasons. They make every DAC chip setting available so you can optimize the DAC for your application. They strive to optimize each performance area of the DAC for maximum sound quality by using high quality voltage regulation. There are four regulators that attach to the DAC board. They make high quality I/V output boards and power supplies. Their stuff sounds good.

pqjawr6fvhhu.jpg

I pre-ordered a 9028 as it can be used with the previous TP I/V output boards. The 9028 has a higher current output than the 9018 chip, while the 9038 has four times the current output so it requires a new I/V board that can handle the high current. The new output board soon to be released is called Mercury, and it will work with the 9028. I’ll get one of those too.

h3eysfn3d8nw.png

Per Russ White of TP…

“There is a lot of greatness in these two new chips. First the over-sampling filters and IIR filter are much improved over the ES9018 - and I am not overstating this - you will absolutely hear the difference between the various filters and you can select the one that work the best for your particular application or taste. The new DACs have the following filters:”

8X FIR filters:
• Brickwall
• Hybrid fast roll-off minimum phase
• Apodizing fast roll-off linear phase
• Slow roll-off minimum phase
• Fast roll-off minimum phase (default)
• Slow roll-off linear phase
• Fast roll-off linear phase

(The 9018 only had two filters, Fast and Slow roll off).

8X IIR filters @ 44.1Khz:
• 1.5874fs - 70K
• 1.3605fs - 60K
• 1.1338fs - 50K
• 1.0757fs - 47.44K(default)

The DAC ships Nov 12. I’ve been working a lot of OT so I’m a dud on weekends. Hopefully this will get me back to the bench. I’ll have to build a new PS for the DAC board as the current power supplies would be maxed out for the 9028. I'm only building a single instead of dual mono in part due to expense and complexity. (The 9028 DAC board costs $459). Maybe, someday...

I’ll also have to build a new Arduino shield for an Arduino Due for control of the 9028 DAC. My current Arduino Uno does not have the memory to run the new software required. Arduino control gets you away from dipswitch settings to on the fly changes via remote control. You can also change inputs via remote.

Fortunately Dimitris Dimitrakoudis in Greece, AKA DimDim (a screen name that doesn’t fit) makes an Arduino shield and wrote code for it. His code is written for a large 3.2” or 4.3” TFT display. A shield is a circuit board and basically means much less wiring to the display it is attached to.

ouhuckos6rvy.jpg

79zoe80cvhq0.jpg

Diyaudio links
TP 9028/9038
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/twisted-pear/313476-introducing-buffalo-iii-se-pro-9028-9038-a.html

Diyaudio introducing Mercury

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/twisted-pear/314401-introducing-mercury-achieving-escape-velocity.html

DimDim’s blog Arduino control
http://www.dimdim.gr/arduino/tft-hifiduino-pro-project/

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *

Comments

• agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    All hail the return of the solder-slinger!
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • SCompRacer
    Didn't you volunteer to help with this build?
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited November 2017
    I love to watch the progress on Rich's projects. This one promises to be very interesting. Good luck Rich I know this will take some time to develop. I am looking forward to the pictures from breadboard to everything cased in a custom box with a shiny faceplate.
    Carl

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    schwarcw wrote: »
    I love to watch the progress on Rich's projects. This one promises to be very interesting. Good luck Rich I know this will take some time to develop. I am looking forward to the pictures from breadboard to everything cased in a custom box with a shiny faceplate.

So true Carl.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    @SCompRacer

Rich: As with most things you do, I will follow this thread with much excitement, understanding little, if any, of it, yet marveling at the craftsmanship shown through the build...

I swear you and @ALL212 are twins separated at birth as his stuff looks "almost" as good as yours :smile:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    Thanks for he heads up Rich. It has been a while since I have checked the TwistedPear website. I will be getting a Buff IIse pro card. Unfortunately, or fortunately, I am also looking to replace my BAT VK200 (heavily modified amp) with a BAT VK-255se amp, which will cost as much as 4,235.00. That is ano small amount for me, but I feel it's time as I have used the VK-200 for about 4 years now. While the VK-200 works absolutely perfectly (and sounds great!), I still feel it's time to move on from it.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • agfrost
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    Didn't you volunteer to help with this build?

If I were just a few miles closer I'd be happy to hang out and soak up whatever knowledge I could.

Heck I've got a couple projects I'd like your advice on...
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
  • SCompRacer
    headrott wrote: »
    While the VK-200 works absolutely perfectly (and sounds great!), I still feel it's time to move on from it.

Well if you got an itch, you have to scratch it! Nice amp upgrade.

I'm still happy with all my present gear. The DAC is the only thing I am interested in upgrading.

Currently I use balanced out with the Legato. I lifted the balanced ground so no common mode DC, no more caps in output stage. That was the only disadvantage to the Legato discrete output, common mode DC between ground and pos balanced, ground and neg balanced. The Krell shuts down with any hint of DC.
  • SCompRacer
    agfrost wrote: »
    If I were just a few miles closer I'd be happy to hang out.....

Want me to move closer? lol
  • SCompRacer
    edited December 2017
    Some progress!

Waiting for my 4.3" TFT screen to see if the DimDim shield works. SMD stuff, owner completion, tiny. U4 is a real SMD ability test. Doesn't help that Jasper got pissed about ignoring him, he chewed up my hot air station hose. Using small iron tip and trusty Hakko FR-300 to remove the blobs/solder shorts. Not much space between chip legs.

I power right and left channels of output board with two Twisted Pear Placid HD BP ver 2.1 power supplies. 15v + and 15v -. Still waiting for the new TP Mercury output stage. I'll start with my trusty discrete balanced out TP Legato.

djz83ficnbzg.jpg

xqplj5e10br1.jpg

• headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    Very nice Rich! SMD can be horrid. Glad you are getting it taken care of though.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • schwarcw
    Looking good Rich! Man those boards are nice! Love the Twisted Pear green LOL!
    Carl

• SCompRacer
    edited December 2017
    Hey Carl!

It lives! Talk about simple build, lol. Very happy with SQ upgrade so far, used DAC for sale soon...

Amanero USB input, isolated. Twisted Pear Amanero USB Isolator Module Hermes, Cronus Re-clocking Module stack. uFl cable connection to DAC. 45.1584/49.152MHz Crystek clocks for up to 384Khz PCM input.

More progress on shield/Arduino DUE. Still waiting for tft screen. No smoke from shield on power up, proper voltages at key points. This shield uses I2C (serial control) isolation chips powered by DAC board.

vvqutnyugsw0.jpg

epccgjyxpvfn.jpg

gu6u8hdmtnyf.jpg

Post edited by SCompRacer on
  • agfrost
    Very cool, Rich.
    Jay
  • schwarcw
    Hey Rich, looking good! The nice green of the "Pear" boards. There are some tiny SMDs on the new blue board. A true craftsman's work!

Is that the Cronus stack that we tried to fit in my DAC?

Carl

• SCompRacer
    edited December 2017
    schwarcw wrote: »
    Hey Rich, looking good! The nice green of the "Pear" boards. There are some tiny SMDs on the new blue board. A true craftsman's work!

Is that the Cronus stack that we tried to fit in my DAC?

I got a lighted magnifier! Makes them SMD parts look like a bus... :D

Yes, that is the Cronus stack. The issue we had is DAC board was getting power first from shunting supply while the Cronus stack was powered milliseconds later from the 5v linear supply.

I am using the new and improved high amperage dual linear PS from Twisted Pear. One 5v side to DAC board, other 5v to Amanero/Hermes isolator/Cronus stack. Signal locks every time upon power up.

I didn't want to push your 5v shunting any higher and try and power both or we'd have issues, thus the Sonore USB to I2S card. The Amanero/Hermes/Cronus is a very good USB input. Doesn't have 8x oversampling like the Sonore. Your oversampling is switchable off, but it does a better job doing the oversample than the DAC chip and then run DAC in synch with the Sonore clock. It used the same Crystek CCHD series ultra low phase noise clocks.

From Sonore:

"A unique feature of this interface [USB to I2S] is the (optional) onboard OSF. This filter oversamples to 352.8/384, using specially developed proprietary digital filters. The filter design takes advantage of the high power available in the FPGA to incorporate a sophisticated partial minimum phase filter, which greatly reduces pre-ringing, while still providing excellent stop band rejection (anti aliasing). "

IMO that Sonore/8x oversample/synch/ combination got the best SQ out of the 9018 DAC. It had complete isolation from USB side. It is discontinued but some folks still seek them. One of the best USB to I2S cards out there IMO.

hvv7l7yxzabg.png

• SCompRacer
    agfrost wrote: »
    Very cool, Rich.

Thx Jay! I was hoping you'd volunteer to put the second one together.... :)

k7u33fd2o5ry.jpg
  • pitdogg2
    Rich do you solder the surface mount stuff like any other job or is it baked on so to speak?
    That some tiny work bro kudos
  • SCompRacer
    edited December 2017
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Rich do you solder the surface mount stuff like any other job or is it baked on so to speak?
    That some tiny work bro kudos

Thx. I'm no expert but can get it done. A magnifier is a must for me. I have one attached to a clamp tool, also have a lighted one.

You can use hot air work station or fine tip on solder iron. To remove chips with multiple legs a hot air station is the only way to go. There are various tips available for hot air station, like square and rectangular depending on chip you are working with. To install, you can use iron with fine tip.

A solder workstation with adjustable temp is highly recommended. You have to either hold part with tweezers or fab a fixture to hold part down. Vice grips and a toothpick will work. Tack one side or one leg of chip, move to other side and solder, then back to first side.

You want to use small diameter solder, like .020, .025. Some folks use solder paste. Using the fine tip solder iron I find a desolder gun very useful. (I have a Hakko FR-300) It helps to remove large blobs or solder runs between legs of chips. You have to work fast with desolder gun as get the part too hot and it will be removed. Same with iron. Get it too hot, you pull iron away and it's gone, stuck to tip of iron.

Took some time for me to acclimate to SMD parts. There are videos on youtube that are helpful.
  • schwarcw
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    From Sonore:

"A unique feature of this interface [USB to I2S] is the (optional) onboard OSF. This filter oversamples to 352.8/384, using specially developed proprietary digital filters. The filter design takes advantage of the high power available in the FPGA to incorporate a sophisticated partial minimum phase filter, which greatly reduces pre-ringing, while still providing excellent stop band rejection (anti aliasing). "

IMO that Sonore/8x oversample/synch/ combination got the best SQ out of the 9018 DAC. It had complete isolation from USB side. It is discontinued but some folks still seek them. One of the best USB to I2S cards out there IMO.

I totally agree! My digital sounds better than I had ever hoped with the upgrades you made with the Sonore card, etc.. I like what I am hearing with the oversample/synch combo.

I am looking forward to your new unit come together.

Carl

• mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    I can't seem to find the "buy now" button nor the "please make me one" button.

Damn vanilla! B)
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    Great to see another cool DIY project of yours on here.
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • ALL212
    ALL212 Posts: 1,553
    @SCompRacer

Rich: As with most things you do, I will follow this thread with much excitement, understanding little, if any, of it, yet marveling at the craftsmanship shown through the build...

I swear you and @ALL212 are twins separated at birth as his stuff looks "almost" as good as yours :smile:

Almost...ALMOST!!! Challenge accepted, waiting on parts... >:)

Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • SCompRacer
    mrbiron wrote: »

Damn vanilla! B)

Make sure I get it working first! :D
  • SCompRacer
    ALL212 wrote: »
    @SCompRacer

Almost...ALMOST!!! Challenge accepted, waiting on parts... >:)

I thought we had that non-compete agreement thing. We just slap stuff together, hope it works and enjoy it.

And Dan knows more than he is letting on....
  • Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    mrbiron wrote: »

Damn vanilla! B)

Put me on the list too! B)
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    Oh no, :# say it ain't so Rich. My DAC has been rendered obsolete. :'( The 9018 is a great chip but looks like the clever fella's at ESS have raised the bar. I look forward to your build and your impressions of the new DAC board and that new analog stage.
  • pitdogg2
    FTGV wrote: »
    Oh no, :# say it ain't so Rich. My DAC has been rendered obsolete. :'( The 9018 is a great chip but looks like the clever fella's at ESS have raised the bar. I look forward to your build and your impressions of the new DAC board and that new analog stage.

Fred's in the house.
    Hello Fred
  • SCompRacer
    edited December 2017
    FTGV wrote: »

Hey Fred!

I wouldn't go throwing it away. ;)

Yes, ESS has learned and applied improvements. Russ's Mercury I/V stage is also very impressive. The 9028 is higher current but will work with IVY/Legato output stages. The 9038 has four times the current so it needed a new output stage. The 9038 will be the up to 8 channel offering. Russ claims there isn't that much difference for the complexity you have to deal with. Again, chasing that additional few % or so. I want simpler now.

Check out the Mercury thread in the TP forum at diyaudio. He hasn't released a schematic as of yet. I remarked how impressed I was with it. His response...

"Believe me - this is by design - I have been working on this output stage for more than a year - and it started out discrete... Mercury is essentially Counterpoint but using OPA1632 where I have been using discrete components. It sounds as good as it does - because I was meticulous about designing and testing it... over and over and over.... "

No common mode DC to worry about like with Legato discrete balanced out, barely detectable. I had lifted the ground on my Legato balanced out so I could get rid of the coupling caps and the flavor they bring along with having the corner frequency to figure/deal with. As you'd know, true balanced gear can work with the ground lifted.

At one time he was reluctant to release the Counterpoint as folks would copy it. Now it's in the spirit of diy. Things change...lol I know one look and you'll have it figured out.

cpc14o4y48vf.jpg