Speaker Stand Suggestions for LSiM 703

Answers

• Back where I started, no stands. I ended up sending the sanus 22" back, thought they would be a little too short. Increasing my budget to around 2 bills.
    Living Room
    Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Yamaha BD-S681, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, Polk S60, Polk S30, Samsung 60" LED

Office
    Cambridge Audio 851A, Auralic Aries Mini, LSiM 703s

Douglas Connection ICs and Cables
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    Those look nice.
    I disabled signatures.
  • teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    Upstatemax wrote: »

Those show only being available in 24" tall - still not tall enough. I think you would want to go 28"-30" tall. My Sanus Ultimate Foundation 28" are perfect height with the LSiM703s, but a little higher would have worked well too. Measure before ordering stands. You want the tweeters at, or a little above ear level in your usual listening position.

• Upstatemax wrote: »

yes, they do...damn rabbit hole :)
    Living Room
    Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Yamaha BD-S681, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, Polk S60, Polk S30, Samsung 60" LED

Office

• teekay0007 wrote: »

Those show only being available in 24" tall - still not tall enough. I think you would want to go 28"-30" tall. My Sanus Ultimate Foundation 28" are perfect height with the LSiM703s, but a little higher would have worked well too. Measure before ordering stands. You want the tweeters at, or a little above ear level in your usual listening position.

I think 26" or 28" would be best, most of what I see has a 6x6.5 top plate which makes me a little nervous. Thinking bigger top would be better but there are not a lot options.
    Living Room

Office

• simm
    simm Posts: 562
    I’m using the Sanus steel foundation stands. I believe they are 28” high and are the perfect height for my room. I used them with Boston Accoustic VR-M60 before the 703’s and have no complaints. I filled them with sand shortly after I bought them.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    teekay0007 wrote: »

I think 26" or 28" would be best, most of what I see has a 6x6.5 top plate which makes me a little nervous. Thinking bigger top would be better but there are not a lot options.

Skylan stands are available with custom sized top and bottom plates as well as height. They cost more than your stated amount, but are well worth the money. They must be mass loaded.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut wrote: »
    teekay0007 wrote: »

Skylan stands are available with custom sized top and bottom plates as well as height. They cost more than your stated amount, but are well worth the money. They must be mass loaded.

They look nice but yes they are considerably more, 350 plus. It sounds like many have used the sanus without fail but the 6 x 6 plate seems too small.
    Living Room

Office

• Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    Jesse, for small top plates, could you cut a thick piece of wood the same size and shape of the speaker and screw it to the top plate without undermining the coupling/decoupling effect. I think a 3/4" or 1" thick piece of wood cut with a curve to match the shape of the 703's would look attractive. Never can remember which is the proper term for stands. We want to "couple" the speaker to the floor, correct?
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623

Those Target Audio HS stands do come in a 28” height.

The top plate is plenty large. I’m regularly listening to a set of Totem Element Fire speakers that have been sitting on Target HS stands for quite awhile.

• F1nut
    edited November 2017
    Hermitism wrote: »
    Jesse, for small top plates, could you cut a thick piece of wood the same size and shape of the speaker and screw it to the top plate without undermining the coupling/decoupling effect. I think a 3/4" or 1" thick piece of wood cut with a curve to match the shape of the 703's would look attractive. Never can remember which is the proper term for stands. We want to "couple" the speaker to the floor, correct?

Sure, you could make your top plate, but the 6x6 would work just fine. I've got some large speakers on 6x6 plates, no issues whatsoever.

Most say to decouple the speakers from the stands and couple the stands to the floor. However, there are some that believe coupling the speakers to the stands and decoupling the stands or floor standing speakers from the floor works better. Personally, I've found decoupling from the floor to yield poor results.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Hermitism
    F1nut wrote: »
    Most say to decouple the speakers from the stands and couple the stands to the floor. However, there are some that believe coupling the speakers to the stands and decoupling the stands or floor standing speakers from the floor works better.
    Now you're just trying to confuse me on purpose! Payback for all the dumb questions I've had to ask over the years! I was as green as they come when I joined here. Now I'm more of a chartreuse shade.

Since we are on the subject, I've noticed a lot of stands come with parts so you have two or three different methods to mount the speakers to the top plate... Mini spikes, rubber knobs, and some way to actually bolt the speakers to the top plate. Would the spikes couple the speakers to the stands, and the rubber knobs decouple? One more question, since I bought my LSiM speakers used, they all have round rubber knobs on the bottoms, those are stock aren't they? The seller didn't add those?
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    edited November 2017
    Most of the speakers I've bought come bare nekkid. My 703s don't have anything on them, and sit on a top plate much smaller than the bottom face of the speaker. The top plate on these Pangea DS300 28s is something like 6 x 8-1/2. I stuck little rubber feet on the top plate, and sit the speaker on them. (The DS300 is discontinued, btw, and replaced with the DS400 which is supposed to sport some different pillar attachment hardware and thicker top and bottom plates, iinm.)

I went with a loose version of the decouple-speaker, couple-stand-to-floor method, though the feet I used are pretty firm, so I'm not sure they're really decoupling. I've considered using pads, but have to wonder whether they absorb cabinet vibration/suck sound.

If I were doing this again, I'd probably go with a smaller rubber foot for something more pin-pointy, like a small 3M bumpon you can find on Amazon, and/or experiment with something softer, maybe some small squares of Sorbothane instead. I do like that these feet are fairly grippy, so I know the speaker's not going anywhere.

m8jcdrd5sfff.jpg
    I disabled signatures.
  • gce
    gce Posts: 2,158
    I have my 703's on Sanus steel foundation stands filled with sand. The speakers sit on rubber knobs and I have the stands spiked to the floor. Works the best for me.
    Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    The 26 inch tall version of the Sanus Steel Foundations stands works well for me.
  • Okay, the coupling and decoupling concepts are a bit advanced for me at this point and I have never really thought about it but is does make some sense.

However, I hear that most have stands that top plates are much smaller than their speaker and have no issues. Appreciate the feedback and suggestions.
    Living Room

Office

• F1nut
    Would the spikes couple the speakers to the stands, and the rubber knobs decouple?

Correct
    One more question, since I bought my LSiM speakers used, they all have round rubber knobs on the bottoms, those are stock aren't they? The seller didn't add those?

I believe Polk supplies rubber feet with those speakers.

President of Club Polk

• sgmsmg
    sgmsmg Posts: 542
    2 Channel
    Pre:Bryston BP173
    Amp:Bryston 14B3
    Speakers: Golden Ear Triton Reference
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Bryston BDA-3, Bryston BDP-3, Bryston BCD-3, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 Speaker, Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 XLR, AQ Diamond USB/HDMI
    Power: PS Audio P10 Regenerator, AC12, AC10 and AC5 Cables
    Display: Sony XBR65Z9F

Home Theater
    Pre: Anthem AVM90/JBL SDP-55
    Amps: Parasound A31, A51x2
    Speakers: Polk LSiM 707 (FL/FR), Polk LSiM706 (Center), LSiM 703 (SL/SR/SBL/SBR), Polk 900-LS (Atmos)
    Subwoofers: SVS SB16 x 4
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: AQ Meteor/Rocket 88, AQ Niagara/Sky
    Power: Torus AVR20, Shunyata Denali, Shunyata Delta, Cullen, PangeaAC9SE Cables
    Display: Sony XBR85Z9G
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    I bought the 300 Pangea stands from Amazon the other day. 32 INCHES . I sat on the couch and measured how high my ears were, which was about 40 inches. Take into consideration how tall your speakers are and how much above that stand the tweeters will be.

24 inches will be too low, 28 might work depending, but in the event you ever move to floorstanders, you can't use those stands in the surround positions because the speakers won't be high enough to get over the back of a couch.

Using a lower height for stands can be done if your willing to tilt those speakers up in the front some, which would be hard to do if the top plate didn't cover almost all of the speaker your using.

That said, I don't always subscribe to the tweeter at ear level thing. It really depends on the speaker, it's design and dispersion. Most times I actually like the tweeter slightly above my ear level, go figure.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Hermitism
    @F1nut

Jesse, I haven't seen any pictures of the tops of the columns under the top plate on the UF stands. Are they hard to fill? Do I want the smallest size shot I can find? # 10 shot? So far the best deal I can find is 25 pound bags for $39.99/free shipping.

I checked with a few people that are into reloading. They've been going to tire stores and getting used lead tire weights and melting them down into bullets. They said that tire shops get bottom dollar for the weights at recycling centers. But I figured .22 caliber bullets would be too large, which is the smallest size they had made for themselves. If you had stands with large enough openings, that would be an extremely cheap way to add weight, by dumping a bunch of old tire weights from a tire store with some sand to fill in the gaps.
  • F1nut
    Forget the tire weights, you'll never get them in the tubes. Even to get shot in them I had to drill larger holes. You'll see what I mean.

President of Club Polk

• Ended up with the Pangea DS 400s. Loaded with 50lbs of sand per stand these are over 75lbs each. Very solid, no leakage and the 28" seem to be the perfect height for me. Great match for the 703s which seem to be getting better by they day.
    Living Room

Office

• Hermitism
    Ended up with the Pangea DS 400s. Loaded with 50lbs of sand per stand these are over 75lbs each. Very solid, no leakage and the 28" seem to be the perfect height for me. Great match for the 703s which seem to be getting better by they day.
    Congrats on the stands. You should post some pics with the 703's on top!
    F1nut wrote: »
    Forget the tire weights, you'll never get them in the tubes. Even to get shot in them I had to drill larger holes. You'll see what I mean.
    My box came this morning. My lead tire weight idea really was laughable, OMG!

gfm43utf6vt0.jpg
    z1ndzavmk6zb.jpg
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    Those resistors in that box are the biggest I have ever seen! :o
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    I have the Pangea 300's, very weighty stands even when not filled. Congrats man.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Hermitism
    @F1nut

Since they put fill holes on both sides of the columns, did you feel the need to dynamat over the fill holes on the bottoms to prevent leakage or just let the shot/sand fill the small cavity at the end? A cork gasket is used on the tops of the columns, but nothing for the bottoms. I like msg's idea for blue loctite on the bottom bolts in his "Pangea Speaker Stands Build" thread. So thought I better ask first. Shot doesn't come till Monday.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    Nice house! Stands look great.
  • F1nut
    Hermitism wrote: »
    @F1nut

Since they put fill holes on both sides of the columns, did you feel the need to dynamat over the fill holes on the bottoms to prevent leakage or just let the shot/sand fill the small cavity at the end? A cork gasket is used on the tops of the columns, but nothing for the bottoms. I like msg's idea for blue loctite on the bottom bolts in his "Pangea Speaker Stands Build" thread. So thought I better ask first. Shot doesn't come till Monday.

I didn't use anything at the bottom. Those columns bolt down tight to the base.

To make filling easier I drilled holes at the bottom of the tear drops on the metal tube plate. Wrapping a piece of blue tape around the top of the tube when filling helps to keep stuff from spilling over.

President of Club Polk