Can't trust Audiogon?

Options
2»

Comments

• Polkitup2
    Polkitup2 Posts: 1,619
    Options
    Noel from Skylan says 25 lbs of rice is the way to go for the hL5+ speakers. I will probably do that since that costs about $8 from Sam's club. Funny, you mentioned vacuum, after I spilled the lead shot I did a final cleanup with a vacuum. Unfortunately, the shot was too heavy to make it all the way to the vacuum cleaner bag, so it now resides somewhere in the vacuum housing. Every time I tun the vacuum on it sounds like a popcorn machine.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,099
    Options
    Polkitup2 wrote: »
    Noel from Skylan says 25 lbs of rice is the way to go for the hL5+ speakers. I will probably do that since that costs about $8 from Sam's club. Funny, you mentioned vacuum, after I spilled the lead shot I did a final cleanup with a vacuum. Unfortunately, the shot was too heavy to make it all the way to the vacuum cleaner bag, so it now resides somewhere in the vacuum housing. Every time I tun the vacuum on it sounds like a popcorn machine.

And spraying lead dust out the vent every time you turn it on. I think I would chuck it and get a new vacuum.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,205
    Options
    Raw or cooked rice? :lol: Wish I could have gone with $8, lead will probably plummet in price now that I bought some.
  • Hermitism
    Options
    And spraying lead dust out the vent every time you turn it on. I think I would chuck it and get a new vacuum.
    You know, when I was a kid, I'd use my molars as pliers to crimp the lead weights to fasten them to the fishing line. I'm probably knocking on death's door about now!

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,799
    Options
    The whole lead poisoning thing has been blown out of portion just like radon gas.

Noel told me to use kitty litter in my Skylan stands. Instead I used lead shot and sand, way more mass.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Hermitism
    Options
    Let's not forget the dangers of rice. "Arsenic-laced rice products being reported in the news are not the result of breakfast cereals and baby foods being soaked in poison at the factory. Rather, various natural and man-made processes can cause the toxic element to accumulate in rice grains as they grow." ~thehuffingtonpost
  • Polkitup2
    edited December 2017
    Options
    According to a post I saw on the Harbeth forum apparently some users had too much bass energy with sand, so Noel recommended kitty litter. However, some owners still reported too much bass energy. He experimented with some different materials on his Harbeth HL5s and came up with rice as an alternative to sand or kitty litter which he believe provided clearer sound and more articulate bass. His recommendation of rice was specific to the Harbeth HL5. I guess the type of fill that should be used depends on how much damping your speakers need.
  • F1nut
    Options
    Hard to believe one can have too much bass with a speaker rated at 40 Hz +/-3 dB.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Hard to believe one can have too much bass with a speaker rated at 40 Hz +/-3 dB.

I didn't want to be the one to verbalize that, but, I agree.
  • kharp1
    Options
    Polkitup2 wrote: »
    According to a post I saw on the Harbeth forum apparently some users had too much bass energy with sand, so Noel recommended kitty litter. However, some owners still reported too much bass energy. He experimented with some different materials on his Harbeth HL5s and came up with rice as an alternative to sand or kitty litter which he believe provided clearer sound and more articulate bass. His recommendation of rice was specific to the Harbeth HL5. I guess the type of fill that should be used depends on how much damping your speakers need.

What type of rice? Brown, long grain, white, instant? Fried or steamed?
  • Polkitup2
    Options
    He tested with long grain rice. You want to avoid brown rice because that is oily and will go bad.
  • Polkitup2
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

Yea, I would't think bass quantity would be an issue with those specs. Here's the link where it was discussed in post 156:

http://www.harbeth.co.uk/usergroup/forum/subjective-soundings-your-views-on-audio/electronics-sources-stands-cables-accessories/stands-and-mounting-discussion/94-stands-for-your-harbeths/page11
  • F1nut
    Options
    tmallin's comments are a laugh, reminds me of candyliquor.

President of Club Polk

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,446
    Options
    To paraphrase:
    I used to use Skylan stands, but find that Target barstools missing a foot pad each provides just the right amount of wobble give.
    I disabled signatures.
  • kharp1
    Options
    I sense that the "pint of Guiness" was perhaps the reason for some of the findings.