Crown d150 and SDA compatible?

smoli
smoli Posts: 4
edited November 2017 in Vintage Speakers
I have a crown d150 and am considering buying a set Sda 1c. Ive heard the amp must be common ground. I am unable to do this as i am away on business. Does anyone know if this amp is common ground?

Best Answer

Answers

• smoli
    smoli Posts: 4
    Looks like I get to pick them up on my way home!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Don't forget to pick up a real amp while you're at it.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pkquat
    pkquat Posts: 742
    smoli wrote: »
    Looks like I get to pick them up on my way home!
    F1nut wrote: »
    Don't forget to pick up a real amp while you're at it.

@smoli, congrats on the purchase. As an FYI crown amps generally don't have the best sound quality, and are not regarded highly by many audiophiles for serious listening. Although they can work well as a good subwoofer amp.

DO not try to get high volumes from the 1C's with that amp either. It is under powered. I have 1C's and a 100WPC Krell cried some. My old Hafler DH220 did ok, but once I got a 200+WPC amp WOW. I would recommend at least 125WPC from a high current amp, perferably 150+ if you want to crank them. A 100 WPC high current amp would be fine for reasonable volumes.

Someone on the Crown forum tried to run Polk SDA-SRS 2's with it and found it underpowered so they were thinking about doing a dual mono setup, which the blade blade version is not capable of as I recall, even if you get an AI-1 transformer or dreadnought in place of the interconnecting cable.

https://www.crownaudio.com/forums/index.php?/profile/15030-scootchu/

The link appears to be down, maybe it is just morning forum maintenance.

Google Crown d150 Polk SDA-SRS II and the link will be near the top. You might be able to see the cached version.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,636
    More like a scar.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    I was biting my tongue (vis-a-vis the D150) :|

They're actually not awful (the accompanying IC-150 preamp was and is awful, though) -- and they're certainly robust: "Built Missionary Tough!" (really and truly).

I mean, ya gotta start somewhere; ya gotta use whatcha got, you know?

14384482776_f1a989abff_b.jpgcrownies by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    ....ya gotta use whatcha got, you know?

Didn't work out so well for me, had to marry her dang it.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    Got this ole beater sitting around collecting dust.

Not even sure if I ever powered it on..
  • mhardy6647
    I do believe that the D-150eh model was special-made for Canada, eh?

;)
  • oldrocker
    Not a clue here.

• pkquat
    pkquat Posts: 742
    @mhardy6647
    ;)

ay or ey might have been a better Canadian pun, although I know the eh is Canadian "a", most people are taught that is sounds more like the "e" in pet.

@mhardy6647 @oldrocker Any idea how the Crown and Hafler compare sound wise. I am not familiar with older Crowns. While my Parasound definitely sounds more musical and overall better than my Hafler, there is a richness in the bass of the Hafler that is hard to beat. It has also sounded pretty good no matter what it was hooked up to.
  • mhardy6647
    Haven't heard a Hafler amplifier in a long, long time. My recollection was that they sounded pretty good (but my tastes have refined a bit since then).

The Crown D-150 isn't a horrible sounding amplifier IMO... it's a little coarse, but not unlistenable.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    I'm scheduled to get a few crowns next month. I hope my SDA's don't make them vibrate too much.
  • oldrocker
    pkquat wrote: »
    @mhardy6647
    ;)

ay or ey might have been a better Canadian pun, although I know the eh is Canadian "a", most people are taught that is sounds more like the "e" in pet.

@mhardy6647 @oldrocker Any idea how the Crown and Hafler compare sound wise. I am not familiar with older Crowns. While my Parasound definitely sounds more musical and overall better than my Hafler, there is a richness in the bass of the Hafler that is hard to beat. It has also sounded pretty good no matter what it was hooked up to.

I've never hooked either one up to compare.

I think I got them in a "stack of stuff" purchase a few years back??

• soundfreak1
    soundfreak1 Posts: 3,374
    I've had and heard that amp and and pre. Dont! Pick up a small parasound amp (same money) and get much better sound. The crown looks much better than they sound.
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a biamped to mid/highs
    Parasound HCA1500A biamped to lows
    Nakamichi EC100 Active xover
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    Lehmann audio black cube SE phono pre, Audioquest phono wire (ITA1/1)
    Denon DP-1200 TT. AToc9ML MC cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable