Looking to upgrade from my RTA-11t’s, suggestions?

I currently have a pair of RTA-11t’s. I have owned them for about 5 years now. I upgraded the crossovers with Sonicap Gen 1 capacitors and mills resistors. Installed dynamat on the drivers and PRs along with some new seals. Swapped the tweeters for RDOs. Put them on spikes. I have a set of Larry’s ring, but haven’t installed them yet.

I recently purchased a PS Audio 200c amp. I am now considering a different set of mains. I have a 3.1 system setup in my loving room. I use two channel for music and the 3.1 for everything else. Everything is running from a Marantz SR7005.

I am having a hard time purchasing something different due to the fact I can’t listen to it first.

Does anyone have any input on what a potential upgrade would be? I don’t want to buy new/used speakers and go backwards in sound. I would be open to modifying the new pair if needed.

I have looked into RTiA9’s, maybe something in the LSiM series? I have been on the lookout for a pair of RTA15TL’s but thy seems to be in scarce availability locally. Maybe something in the SDA family.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ian

Comments

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    edited December 2017
    SDA 2Bs

I'm about 90% sure I read that they were Matt Polk's favorite of the entire lineup. I agree.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,337
    LSi15. They are a bit harder to drive but a worthy upgrade from the RTA11T.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • SRS 2.3TL's
    "Make a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Light
    a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Lsim series....
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    Where are you located / Here's some 15 tl's in Chicago for 300....one needs a tweet though.

https://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/ele/d/polk-audio-rta15tl-tower/6420022587.html
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,525
    What do you feel your missing that necessitates an upgrade speaker wise?

Just have an itch to scratch? Wanting more highs, detailed, etc..... that changes what folks might recommend.

Personally I've heard/owned 11TL's and they sounded sweet, even compared to my LSi 15's with db840 sub mod....
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Earthy
    Earthy Posts: 488
    Polk Audio SDA SRS 2.3TL
    Parasound Halo A21
    Parasound Halo P3

Home theater
    Polk LSiM 707, 706c, 703, 705
    Polk Blackstone TL3 for height
    SVS PB12-ISD Sub
    Denon AVR-X6400h
    Parasound Halo A51
    LG OLED65B7A
    Sony UBPX800
    Logitech Harmony Elite
    PC LSiM 703
    Spare LSIM 702 and 706c

Home Theater #2
    Polk Audio LS70, CS350LS, LSF/X, S4
    Onkyo TX-NR808

• What do you feel your missing that necessitates an upgrade speaker wise?

Just have an itch to scratch? Wanting more highs, detailed, etc..... that changes what folks might recommend.

Personally I've heard/owned 11TL's and they sounded sweet, even compared to my LSi 15's with db840 sub mod....

You are probably on track with having an itch to scratch. Don’t get me wrong, my current set up sounds pretty damn good especially when considering the total investment of about $1,200. My guess is I would have double my investment to see a significant positive change.

The 11t’s can be lacking in the bottom at low volume, the passive radiators really shine at higher than conservative listening levels. I have a PSW125 that I use for tv/movies/games. On the other hand, overwhelming bass can quickly ruin the listening experience for me. For music I really prefer 2 channel, I guess I could run 2.1 and turn the woofer down a little.

The LSi15’s look appealing, they are the version without the powered woofer
    Correct? My 200X pushes about 400 watts into 4 ohms. Would probably do the trick. Any necessary upgrades on these guys?

Tony,

I am located in Connecticut. Chicago would be pushing it. I found set of RTA-15’s for $400 on fleabay in prestine shape, in NY. Still 4+ hours one way.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    How about a sub? SVS, REL, Rythmik, etc. Then go from there.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • tonyb
    ipsullivan wrote: »
    What do you feel your missing that necessitates an upgrade speaker wise?

You are probably on track with having an itch to scratch. Don’t get me wrong, my current set up sounds pretty damn good especially when considering the total investment of about $1,200. My guess is I would have double my investment to see a significant positive change.

The 11t’s can be lacking in the bottom at low volume, the passive radiators really shine at higher than conservative listening levels. I have a PSW125 that I use for tv/movies/games. On the other hand, overwhelming bass can quickly ruin the listening experience for me. For music I really prefer 2 channel, I guess I could run 2.1 and turn the woofer down a little.

The LSi15’s look appealing, they are the version without the powered woofer
    Correct? My 200X pushes about 400 watts into 4 ohms. Would probably do the trick. Any necessary upgrades on these guys?

It's easy to blame speakers off the bat for what your sound lacks. You have to look at all the contributing factors first in my opinion, before kicking your speakers to the curb.

You could add a sealed sub for better 2 channel performance, I mean a better sub than the Polk 125. SVS was running a special on a decent sealed sub for 400. Just an option...

You could also have an impedance mismatch between the amp and receiver, resulting in loss of dynamics. Check the output voltage on the receiver and compare it to the input voltage on the amp.

Maybe your cables aren't the best match for the gear ? Always a possibility.

Just some things to consider before making speaker changes, If ya just want new speakers....the signature series or LSIM's should be a drastic improvement, but that psw sub is pretty much worthless with those series.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    ^^ How much of a variation between input and output voltage constitutes a mismatch @tonyb ? ^^

Does it have to be an exact or near exact match? Does a 1.73v input mismatch horribly with a 2.5v max output (both at 22k ohms). Inquiring minds want to understand. Sorry for the thread jack!
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,548
    MrBuhl wrote: »
    ^^ How much of a variation between input and output voltage constitutes a mismatch @tonyb ? ^^

Does it have to be an exact or near exact match? Does a 1.73v input mismatch horribly with a 2.5v max output (both at 22k ohms). Inquiring minds want to understand. Sorry for the thread jack!

Solid question
  • tonyb
    Depends....if your amp has a 2.0v input, and your receiver has a 1.0v output, it makes it impossible to drive that amp to full power. This would lend itself to loss of dynamics at lower volumes when your receiver may only be outputting .05 or less line voltage. That can be one reason why you feel you have to turn up the volume to get your speakers to wake up.
    Just for giggles, most receivers have in the neighborhood of 1.0v line output. Could be why so many experience that jump in SQ when moving to a pre-amp. Pre-amps in general have a higher line voltage than receivers.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Thank you SIR!
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• tonyb
    I should also add, that discrepancy in in/output voltage may not rear it's ugly head on easy to drive speakers with a receiver/amp combo in front of it. Harder to drive speakers such as multiple driver floorstanders will easily display any mismatch happening.

To tell the truth, I never gave it much thought or concern. I used a receiver/amp combo for years and was very satisfied. It wasn't until I took the receiver out of the equation for the Joule pre that woke me up, and the music, to what was going on. My amp literally had another dimension to it and really showed what it had to offer. All by having the proper line voltage to drive it to full power.

I wasn't a big believer in the importance before, I am now. As we like to say....hearing is believing.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • hyrum
    hyrum Posts: 1
    I have a really nice Denon receiver 7.1 to much for me what would it be worth to you and where are you located I live in Utah and have a pair of RTA 8t and will never get rid of them best sound ever have a pair of mission freedom 770 check them out for there tweeter
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,647
    hyrum wrote: »
    I have a really nice Denon receiver 7.1 to much for me what would it be worth to you and where are you located I live in Utah and have a pair of RTA 8t and will never get rid of them best sound ever have a pair of mission freedom 770 check them out for there tweeter

Say wha......??
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,678
    My attention span ran out before that sentence did.
  • tonyb wrote: »
    I should also add, that discrepancy in in/output voltage may not rear it's ugly head on easy to drive speakers with a receiver/amp combo in front of it. Harder to drive speakers such as multiple driver floorstanders will easily display any mismatch happening.

To tell the truth, I never gave it much thought or concern. I used a receiver/amp combo for years and was very satisfied. It wasn't until I took the receiver out of the equation for the Joule pre that woke me up, and the music, to what was going on. My amp literally had another dimension to it and really showed what it had to offer. All by having the proper line voltage to drive it to full power.

I wasn't a big believer in the importance before, I am now. As we like to say....hearing is believing.

That makes sense. I am going to refocus my efforts on getting some decent interconnects and speaker wire. What I am using now if definitely sub-par. I will check the output voltages and if it is a bad mismatch I will look into a pre amp. What is the best way to do this?

Thanks for all the input!