Why i feel a 2 channel setup is the best for your average joe and music lovers.

1. you can spend more money on your main speakers and get a much better set of speakers., so basically if you are on a budget and most people probably are you can buy 2 nicer speakers or you can buy 5 or 7 lower grade speakers with the money you have set aside for your speaker budget... now if you you can afford to buy really nice speakers all the way around in a surround sound set up awesome. In my opinion my 2 channel set up sound excellent for movies and music. i just don't have sound coming from different parts of my room so maybe there is a little magic missing but i would trade that for better sound quality any day..

2 less wires to run. and less money to spend on speaker wires. you could probably spend just say 100 bucks on say 20 feet of excellent quality speaker cable or 100+ bucks on longer runs of the cheaper stuff. allot of people don't think speaker cable makes a difference. i never did either till i got a set of revealing speakers and tried different types now with these speakers i hear a very noticeable difference between my AQ solid copper wire which cost me 100 bucks vs my mono price stranded budget wire which was like 20 bucks for a small spool..

3. with a AVR which is what most people get for surround sound you are paying for several channels of amplification and they are often not the highest quality parts inside., you are paying for all kind of digital processing with a AVR---- now with a good quality 2 channel amp your paying for standard 2 channel amplification that is often made with much higher quality parts inside whith will often result in higher overall sound quality..

here are 2 photos of what you generally see inside of a AVR type receiver.
b2biwttkn36e.jpg
8vbhrv892cds.jpg

now here are 2 photos of what you may find inside of a nice 2 channel amp

3ralnag4ry9j.jpg
ninrsv6ogmvg.jpg

i believe you can get much better sound quality for your money going with a 2 or 2.1 channel set up vs a 5.1 or 7.1 channel set up.. my current set up sound much better for movies and music than the surround sound systems i had in the past ever did.

my buddys crazy 7.1 home theater set up which was extremely expensive and it does not sound that much better than my 2 channel set up for movies( in my opinion) but when it comes to music i would say mine sounds way better than his. i was never really happy with the AVR's i have had in the past for listening to music but i did enjoy them for movies. i actually enjoy my current 2 channel set up for movies and music better than anything i have has in the past now that i finally have some good quality stuff all the way around. if i were to put the money i have in this setup into a surround sound system i would have bough much lower quality everything..

i personally feel you can get allot more for your money sound quality wise going 2 channel..
Cambridge Azur 651A
Polk LSi M703
Sonos Connect

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited December 2017
    What, like I'm gonna disagree?

2oexh3bo9fdb.jpg
    Post edited by mhardy6647 on
  • mhardy6647
    PS (and FWIW), this is more along the lines of what I like to see inside an integrated amplifier...

gk1tg6xgifeh.png

;)

(not my HF-81 -- the one in the borrowed photo above is considerably prettier than mine inside)
  • I look at it this way, when you go and watch a band do they just produce a front soundstage or play in surround sound? I want my music system to recreate the feeling of watching a band play.

Surround sound systems are for watching movies in your home theater.

Apples and oranges....
    "Make a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Light
    a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

• mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

2oexh3bo9fdb.jpg

I’m not disagreeing either!

0didzhl6ngh7.jpeg
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• Tube snobs.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • mhardy6647
    edited December 2017
    mikeyb128 wrote: »

2oexh3bo9fdb.jpg

0didzhl6ngh7.jpeg

Yers is (much) prettier! :)
    (beautiful, in fact)
  • mikeyb128 wrote: »

0didzhl6ngh7.jpeg

Mikey, what is the name of the color on the walls?
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • mhardy6647
    edited December 2017
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    You're comparing the differences between a Ferrari and a Rolls Royce...
    Well put.

I will say this - I get way less worked up about "soundstage" and "imaging" than I do about instruments and vocal(ist)s sounding real -- which to me is more about tone and timbre than it is about imaging... although a hifi needs to get the size of an instrument correctly.

I vividly remember hearing Magneplanar Tympani IBs' reproduction of a piano. It sounded pretty good, but it was about three times the size, in sonic terms, of an actual piano.
    Impressive -- but not right .

(and, not that this is germane to the topic at hand, I personally have zero interest in "home theatre")
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    Why not have a decent 2 channel rig and a decent HT rig, do this get the new David Gilmour live in Pompeii Blu Ray listen to it on a 7.2 HT rig and report back. It's glorified Surround sound heaven, of course you can get the David Gilmour live at Pompeii CD and enjoy it on a decent 2 channel rig.

Chris Botti in Boston on BD or Cream at Royal Albert Hall or Dave Matthews at Radio City are 3 other great examples of this as well.

"Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • TNTsTunes wrote: »
    I look at it this way, when you go and watch a band do they just produce a front soundstage or play in surround sound? I want my music system to recreate the feeling of watching a band play.

Apples and oranges....

It depends if you're watching Roger Waters or The Dead , they had holographic sound at their venues.
    I'll stick with two channel also.

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited December 2017
    I have 6 systems hooked up, Outside in the main-cave. 1 surround system..( main TV system ) Yamaha with 2 -12" Klipsch subs and Powered towers , powered center and bi-polar surround speakers mounted 7' up. Exc. sound ! Movie wise. I've never tried to do 2 channel on it too much since I acquired the SDA-SRS2's.
    1 more surround system in the back room. w/powered sub. Not to shabby either.

5 other 2 channel systems of various costs , ages and purposes. Some EXC., some not to shabby either.

2 systems inside. JVC Surround sound receivers w/sub outs hooked up to powered subs. Exc. sound for TV and movies! The living room JVC is hooked up to Pinnacle Black Diamond surround speakers and a Pinnacle sub. ( the cheap one..) and on music mode, It is BEAUTIFUL sounding. I guess speakers also play a major part in how the surround systems sound with music.

These 15 or twenty year old receivers in the house are so good I've never had the desire to want to replace them with 1200.00 receivers that I own or have owned.
    They are JVC- RX-DV31's. Built in DVD players. I have a Blu-ray hooked up to both of them for years now.

I love a holographic 2 channel system where you can sense the artists are in the room with you. I lived long enough to have experienced it many, many times. I love it.

But I love watching movies too. Movies would take my mind off my neck issue too.

A girl once told me about her still being a virgin...

" you can't miss what you've never had "

I have long adapted that phrase to say " you can't miss what you've never heard " ;)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,837
    edited December 2017
    If I had the right room I would have a nice system that allows me to go between 2 channel and 7.1 Nothing like having a great Pre Amp with HT bypass..

They are both great and fun to play with...
  • Polkaguy58 wrote: »
    TNTsTunes wrote: »
    I look at it this way, when you go and watch a band do they just produce a front soundstage or play in surround sound? I want my music system to recreate the feeling of watching a band play.

Apples and oranges....

It depends if you're watching Roger Waters or The Dead , they had holographic sound at their venues.
    I'll stick with two channel also.

Never saw the Dead live and the only time I've seen Roger Waters live was at a Pink Floyd concert.

My 2.3's do a great job reproducing Pink Floyd however.
    "Make a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Light
    a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

• mhardy6647
    F1nut wrote: »
    For serious music listening, 2 channel is the only way.
    Concur (FWIW).
    (although I will confess to using a subwoofer, Philistine that I am)

• oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    mikeyb128 wrote: »

2oexh3bo9fdb.jpg

0didzhl6ngh7.jpeg

Yers is (much) prettier! :)
    (beautiful, in fact)

Purdy indeed!

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    Concur (FWIW).

Subs are ok and depending on the mains, much needed.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    You're comparing the differences between a Ferrari and a Rolls Royce...

Are they both awesome? Yeah.

But they have 2 distinctly different purposes.

A properly set up and calibrated home theater surround system can create ambient noise effects that a 2 channel system has no hope in Hades of recreating.

At the same time, a solid 2 channel system can create a holographic front music sound stage that tends to be muddied by a surround system.

Nothing personal here but if your buddy's 7 channel surround doesn't obliterate your 2 channel system for movies then frankly, regardless of what he spent, it is NOT calibrated correctly or something is severely broken.

Well said.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • Thorton
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    If I had the right room I would have a nice system that allows me to go between 2 channel and 7.1 Nothing like having a great Pre Amp with HT bypass..

They are both great and fun to play with...

Yes and I totally agree with what you're saying. But if you significantly prefer on over the other, the other will sacrifice. I like having both to where each one makes me shiver and it is absolutely fantastic!
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
  • Thorton
    Concur (FWIW).

Or the room or the optimal placement of the mains.
  • mhardy6647
    edited December 2017
    Concur (FWIW).

Yeah, that's where we are here, with basically Altec 515s (i.e., the woofer sections of the 604E Duplexes) in large vented boxes... they are not noted for going very low... but what they do, they do well.

My -- interesting -- subwoofer prototype is pretty respectable, I think (tho' I am no expert); it's certainly much better at reproducing LF in music than was the cheapie powered subwoofer I got some years back (but that's not saying too much, in all candor).

38047648301_4927f0eb6a_b.jpgDSC_9751 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Three channel is best, but unfortunately when RCA was recording that in the 50s it never caught on. My three channel SACDs in the HT are sweet.

http://www.elusivedisc.com/RCA-Living-Stereo-Multi-Channel-Stereo/products/1094/

With that said, I spend most of my time with the stereo.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mhardy6647
    edited December 2017
    I think that the discrete three channel format (common in the 1950s in better recording studios) was generally upstream of the final product -- not that some folks didn't have three-channel systems (Sinatra, e.g.)... but it wasn't really a 'mass-market' format.

In the early days of home stereo, it wasn't common to find some sort of center channel output on consumer stereo integrated amplifers (Sherwood, Scott, and EICO, to name a few with models that offered either line or loudspeaker-level "mixed to mono" center channel outputs).

Col. Paul W. Klipsch was a proponent of a 'derived' third channel (mixed-to-mono) in the center for his loudspeakers... he advocated a Cornwall in the middle of a pair of K-horns, or a Heresy in the middle of a pair of Cornies for the low-rent crowd.

I think this says more about the Heritage Klipsch loudspeakers' imaging deficiencies than it does about anything else, though. :)
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    PS (and FWIW), this is more along the lines of what I like to see inside an integrated amplifier...

gk1tg6xgifeh.png

;)

(not my HF-81 -- the one in the borrowed photo above is considerably prettier than mine inside)

I dunno Doc i think you need bigger doorbell transformers. Those look a little weak
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    Polkaguy58 wrote: »
    TNTsTunes wrote: »

Apples and oranges....

The Dead , they had holographic sound at their venues.

Sorry but that was the acid.....