Dolby Cinema?

Unfortunately, no Dolby Cinemas in my area. Wondering how good is the experience? Can a high end home theater system compare? Searched online but did not find any info on audio equipment used.
AVR: Marantz SR 5011
L/ R: Polk Audio 703 LSiM (Bi Amp'd)
C: Polk Audio 255c - LS
R: Def Tech
Sub: PSW 505 (12 inch)
DVD: Oppo UDP 203
TV: 2016 Sony XBR 75X850D

Comments

• Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    If you love the sound of people choking on popcorn and talking about the movie, nothing compares to a cinema.
  • Marfly
    Marfly Posts: 66
    I'm quite content with 5.1 DD and DTS.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,471
    edited December 2017
    Marfly wrote: »

I'll up it one. I liked my 6.1 DD and DTS.
  • Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

7.2 in DD True HD or DTS HD Master Audio here. Atmos coming soon. B)
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Pffft! 9.4.4...

Go big or don't bother showing up :p
  • I have yet to visit a theater that takes my breath away. I went to see SW AOTC in Irvine years ago as they were one of the first digital theaters to show the movie. It was alright, but nothing to write home about. My Local theater is a Regal with the highend projection system, extra wide seating that rocks back and forth. They have the system turned up to high and it more distorted that bliss.

So the 7.2 at home still wins by a long shot,
    Family Room HT 7.2/i]:Vizio Oled55h1 Pioneer Elite SC-LX502 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Eversolo DMP A6 Panamax M5300-EXSpeakers Fronts Fluance XF8L Center Polk Audio S35 Side Surrounds Optimus LS30's Rear Surrounds Optimus LS30's Subs SVS PB4000 x2 Living room 2ch: Crown Xli 1500 amp Teac EQ MKII FX Audio X6 Mk II DAC Squeezebox Touch Fluance Signature Tower Speakers Panamax M5100-EXOffice media room:Vizio M50Q6 50" Pioneer Elite VSX LX103 Squeezebox Touch Polkaudio R50 Towers Polkaudio CS 10 Panamax M4300 Monoprice 12" subMaster bedroom:Vizio M55Q7 Pioneer Elite VSX LX302 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Squeezebox Touch Polk audio RTi 6 fronts, Rears Dayton B652 Polk Audio CS10 center Monoprice 12" sub Panamax M5300-EX
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,471
    Thorton wrote: »

I had 6.1 in those just failed to properly enunciate lol
  • Thorton
    I have yet to visit a theater that takes my breath away. I went to see SW AOTC in Irvine years ago as they were one of the first digital theaters to show the movie. It was alright, but nothing to write home about. My Local theater is a Regal with the highend projection system, extra wide seating that rocks back and forth. They have the system turned up to high and it more distorted that bliss.

So the 7.2 at home still wins by a long shot,

I couldn't agree more and don't care if I ever go to the theater again.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Not sure what theaters you guys are going to, but the ultra AVX/Dolby Atmos and IMAX theaters here sound awesome, and left me leaving kind of impressed. When I saw blade runner 2049, I was floored by the bass in there! And they had this puppy cranked! I don’t remember theaters ever being that loud. They have come a long way in recent years.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Dolby ? Isn't that like 20 year old technology ? Today it's all about Atmos, DTS HD Master audio. Considerable steps up from your standard Dolby.

....and yes, all available for the home. Get your read on, update your system, you'll like what you hear.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    tonyb wrote: »
    Dolby ? Isn't that like 20 year old technology ? Today it's all about Atmos, DTS HD Master audio. Considerable steps up from your standard Dolby.
    What exactly do you mean by "standard Dolby"? There was Dolby noise reduction in the 70's, Dolby Pro-Logic in the late 80's, and Dolby Digital in the early 90's. Atmos that you mentioned is also a Dolby technology, which is about 5-years-old (less in home theater applications). So I don't get the "20-year-old technology" description. Although that sort of fits the time when Dolby Digital became common after the advent (and public acceptance) of DVD's in the late 90's.

I would imagine that the OP was referring to a theater with the most current Dolby technology in general, using "Dolby" as a blanket term of sorts.
  • tonyb
    Yeah, a blanket term for sure, but I assumed he meant Dolby digital....the original form of it. Many iterations but current ones are as stated.

No Dolby cinemas in his area means...he's in a bunker deep within the Sahara. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124

Let me make this clear, Ivan is speaking about the number of toes he has on his feet

2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • tonyb
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

Let me make this clear, Ivan is speaking about the number of toes he has on his feet

....here I thought he was talking about his nipple piercings. :p
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    "Dolby Theaters" are Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision theaters.

Something akin to the AMC Prime theaters or Cinemark XD theaters. Higher spec surround systems, higher gain screens and better projector technologies.

That is the blanket term definition of the moment.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    I always see the latest Marvel comics movie with Mark when I'm down in DC with him, but I always end up getting annoyed with the damn annoying other people that are there talking, checking their phones etc. So I end up getting the movie to enjoy it in the comfort of my home in 5.2 DD sound!

They don't seem to make DTS videos anymore, those rocked!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • tonyb
    It's DTS HD master audio now Cathy, try it.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • cfrizz

LOL, first I would have to upgrade my prepro to do so Tony, and while I've been thinking about it, I'm not sure it would be worth it to break up my matching Sunfire set, which I still love the look and sound of.

And the thought of having to have to set up my system into the new prepro again, gives me the heebee geebees. That's a lot of *amn work & money!

Quite frankly I'm still not convinced that upgrading to the Oppo from my old Pioneer made an improvement sound wise aside from being able to get Blu-rays instead of regular DVDs.

If I put in a 2 channel SACD into the Pioneer is would automatically shut off all of the speakers including the subs except my S60's. If I want 2 channel with the Oppo, I have to put my pre into 2 channel mode and even then it doesn't shut off the subs.

So right now I'm sitting on the fence about upgrading my prepro.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    DSkip wrote: »
    Too loud and proud. When I saw IT the levels were so loud that the 'jump' scenes were completely lost. I sat there annoyed and wanting to leave. The movie was almost ruined by it. I went to a different theater to see it again and enjoyed it much more.

Come on skip... time to come down from the clouds, no one will equip a theater with rosso or usher.
    :lol:
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• tonyb
    cfrizz wrote: »

LOL, first I would have to upgrade my prepro to do so Tony, and while I've been thinking about it, I'm not sure it would be worth it to break up my matching Sunfire set, which I still love the look and sound of.

And the thought of having to have to set up my system into the new prepro again, gives me the heebee geebees. That's a lot of *amn work & money!

Quite frankly I'm still not convinced that upgrading to the Oppo from my old Pioneer made an improvement sound wise aside from being able to get Blu-rays instead of regular DVDs.

If I put in a 2 channel SACD into the Pioneer is would automatically shut off all of the speakers including the subs except my S60's. If I want 2 channel with the Oppo, I have to put my pre into 2 channel mode and even then it doesn't shut off the subs.

So right now I'm sitting on the fence about upgrading my prepro.

Why can't you get it by way of the Oppo ? You don't need to upgrade the pre, you just need to use the analog outputs of the Oppo and have it do the decoding. Unless it's a real old Oppo that doesn't do DTS HD.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    It's a 103...she got it from me. ;)

But you lose quite a bit of sound quality going that route, unfortunately.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • cfrizz
    Right now I'm straddling both sides of the fence, since only my tv, cable box, and Oppo have HDMI, everything else is analog. Don't get me wrong, it sounds & looks great, it's just different from how I'm use to things operating.

Which is why I'm so hesitant to do anymore upgrading.
  • cfrizz wrote: »

Yeah, but it's worth it.
    cfrizz wrote: »

Refer to pages 41and 43 of the TGP-3's manual. When in stereo mode, set the speaker size to large and the bass management mode to normal to switch off the subwoofer.

Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • Thorton
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    DSkip wrote: »
    Too loud and proud. When I saw IT the levels were so loud that the 'jump' scenes were completely lost. I sat there annoyed and wanting to leave. The movie was almost ruined by it. I went to a different theater to see it again and enjoyed it much more.

Come on skip... time to come down from the clouds, no one will equip a theater with rosso or usher.
    :lol:

But to me, that's part of the problem. I've been to Atmos and IMAX theaters and if you never experienced a great home theater set-up, you'd think it was fantastic. However, when I've gone to a number of these theaters the picture or sound was not fantastic compared to what I've got at home. This may sound cliché but when I go to the theater, I'm watching a movie at the theater. When I'm watching a movie at my home, "I'm in the movie!"
  • tonyb wrote: »
    Yeah, a blanket term for sure, but I assumed he meant Dolby digital....the original form of it. Many iterations but current ones are as stated.

Not a blanket statement. As I understand it Dolby Cinema is Dolby’s best and newest of their standards.

https://www.dolby.com/H5OneColumnWide.aspx?pageid=8462
  • Essentially we just confirmed we are all introverts that’d rather stay home
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Kingkwas wrote: »
    Essentially we just confirmed we are all introverts that’d rather stay home

I don't have a home.......
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    lightman1 wrote: »

rc9sffdk2266.jpg

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    6utcb60jmhxn.jpg
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    lightman1 wrote: »
    Kingkwas wrote: »
    Essentially we just confirmed we are all introverts that’d rather stay home

https://youtu.be/HBsHyMwpIjo
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson