Legacy Focus 20/20 and Butler 2250 amp

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    nbrowser wrote: »
    DSkip wrote: »
    He's a monoprice kind of guy.

Them's fightin werds eh!

Indeed they are...lol, anyone who knows me knows my distain for Monoprice.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Hi Tony,

Thanks for the cable info. I sent you a PM.

Hoping the system allowed my account to deliver it to your inbox.

Thanks!
  • tonyb
    Speakers sold and delivered this morning. Thanks to vmoreno74 for a clean no hassle transaction. Take care of my babies. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Well congrats on the sale @tonyb. Hope things are looking up for you very soon.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • I will Tony! Thanks for the help loading them into my car. You are indeed a great guy!

Forgot to ask, did you use any specific product to clean the wood or a towel and water was enough?

Thanks again!
  • tonyb
    You can use any furniture polish but not the ones with heavy chemicals. Usually the better products are safer. Lemon oil makes them shine but it isn't the best for the finish. Just a damp rag around the drivers to keep dust off.

Did your wife crap her pants when she saw them ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    I should rephrase that, normally if a cleaner/polish is good for fine furniture, it should be ok for speakers. I used weinmans once in a while. I also never kept them in direct sunlight. If you let sun light hit them daily you'll definitely start seeing fading on the finish.

I also had rules, for the wife....nothing goes on top of the speakers. Women love to put stuff on open spaces, flowers/pictures/etc. No drinks, no kids throwing toys around are allowed in the same room. Nobody was allowed to control the volume dial either but myself. You have to be able to recognize when your putting stress on speakers. These can fool you as with the right associated gear they will play loud and clear without fatigue.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Thanks for the advice Tony! My wife was indeed surprised about the size but also intrigued about the sound.
    We had to visit some friends this weekend, so I am starting the cleaning tonight.

Thanks again and wish you recover from your adverse situation as soon as possible.
  • tonyb
    Just delivered the amp to Kerry, nice dude. Chatted it up for awhile, man has that hording disease I guess like some of you other guys. lol.

Man, when I boxed it up today, there wasn't so much as a hair scratch on the puppy, looked brand spankin' new. Should have asked for more money. :)

Just kiddin' Kerry, hope you enjoy it. Let me know how it works out for you. I like people to be happy with whatever they buy from me.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Enjoyed meeting ya Tony. I saw you're in need of a sub, might be able to give you a killer deal on one of the SVS SB2000's I have since you hooked me up on this Butler. Looking forward to getting this amp in the system.
  • tonyb
    Talk to me once you get home man. Maybe we can work somethin' out. How was the burger btw ? Did ya go ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • kharp1
    Ended up at Chicago Prime for a pretty good steak last night. Gonna try Kuma's today.
  • @Tony,
    Wishing you the best of lucks finding the new speakers and sub for your system.

@kharp1,
    Enjoy the amp!

Cheers!
  • kharp1
    This amp is truly a sleeping giant in the amp world!
  • tonyb
    That it is Kerry, and it looks good doing it too. Makes me happy your enjoying it.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    Shoot. I work right by the Kumas in Schaumburg. How did you like them?
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • Tony, by a chance did you biamp the speakers at some point in time? Just read couple guys biamped this type of speaker with tubes for highs and SS for the bass.
  • tonyb
    No, never needed to. My amp was more than enough and the speakers carry a 95 efficiency rating. IMHO....your better off with a ss amp in the 200 watts per channel + area and a tubed pre amp. I did have them bi-wired though. If your not bi-wiring make sure those jumpers are back in between the posts.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    vmoreno74 wrote: »
    Tony, by a chance did you biamp the speakers at some point in time? Just read couple guys biamped this type of speaker with tubes for highs and SS for the bass.

Sorry to thread jack Tony!

I did biamp my Focus SE's for short time with tubes on the top and SS on the bottom but it never met my expectations. I moved on to big SS and never looked back.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • tonyb
    no problem pal, they are too efficient to make bi-amping viable. They love current though, lots of it.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tratliff wrote: »
    Tony, by a chance did you biamp the speakers at some point in time? Just read couple guys biamped this type of speaker with tubes for highs and SS for the bass.

Sorry to thread jack Tony!

I did biamp my Focus SE's for short time with tubes on the top and SS on the bottom but it never met my expectations. I moved on to big SS and never looked back.

Thanks tratliff
  • tonyb wrote: »
    No, never needed to. My amp was more than enough and the speakers carry a 95 efficiency rating. IMHO....your better off with a ss amp in the 200 watts per channel + area and a tubed pre amp. I did have them bi-wired though. If your not bi-wiring make sure those jumpers are back in between the posts.

Thanks Tony! Just recently read couple guys use tubes and they seem to love the sound.
  • tonyb
    tonyb wrote: »

Thanks Tony! Just recently read couple guys use tubes and they seem to love the sound.

Tubes do sound great on them, that's why I said a tubed pre amp. You need some muscle for those 3-12 inch cones in each speaker though. Something north of 40+ amperes peak to peak. The more the better. A tubed pre amp will add to those highs and also add to every other area of the musical presentation.

The thing with bi-amping, using ss on the bottom and a tubed amp for the top, is your using 2 different amps with different current and delivery, different speed. So the sound may not sound as coherent as you'd like.

Trust me my friend, find a GOOD SOUNDING used amp like a B&k, or McCormack amp. Find a cheap tubed pre from Yaqin or the likes for starters, you can always move up later.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • kharp1
    They could have bought the Butler. Hybrid tube design, 250 watts pretty good sound
  • tonyb
    Lol, I think he might have stretched the budget adding the Butler. Plus he'd have to sleep with one eye open, the wife might get ideas.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • kharp1
    Wives just don't get it. No reason an appendage should be severed because the bank account was emptied for some much needed audio equipment.
  • tonyb
    Right ? but we're suppose to understand 50 pairs of shoes all over the joint.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb wrote: »
    tonyb wrote: »

Tubes do sound great on them, that's why I said a tubed pre amp. You need some muscle for those 3-12 inch cones in each speaker though. Something north of 40+ amperes peak to peak. The more the better. A tubed pre amp will add to those highs and also add to every other area of the musical presentation.

The thing with bi-amping, using ss on the bottom and a tubed amp for the top, is your using 2 different amps with different current and delivery, different speed. So the sound may not sound as coherent as you'd like.

Trust me my friend, find a GOOD SOUNDING used amp like a B&k, or McCormack amp. Find a cheap tubed pre from Yaqin or the likes for starters, you can always move up later.

It seems that the preamp works fine with my amp (Yamaha AS2100), but did some research and it could be a redundant device in my system! :(

Not everything is lost, it seems I have to replace my DAC with either a tube DAC or a "Warm" SS DAC, meaning jumping to a higher-end DAC.

• tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    vmoreno74, although the AS2100 is a great integrated I am thinking the speakers could use additional current as Tony pointed out. You will be pleasantly surprised how those speakers will come alive when big power is supplied.

I tried a couple of different setups with my speakers and finally settled in when I brought in the 600 watt mono blocks. Don't let the efficiency of the speaker steer you away from current. These speakers can gobble up power when provided.

PM me if you want to discuss details.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • tonyb
    Agreed....they need current to sound their best.

Everything in the chain matters, amp/pre-amp-cables-source. You have to be willing to move up the chain on the electronics side, even if you can only do one piece at a time. Buy used for the best bang for the buck.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's