Replacement drivers for M5 surround speakers.

Hey folks, my faithful M5 surround speakers are starting to growl and I was wondering if 6.25" drivers are available for replacement?
If these can't be rebuilt then what recommendation for a comparable speaker is currently available?

Best regards,
Jon

Answers

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Describe the problem. There are many available drivers. Have you taken the driver out? There is a number on the back mw65xx
    I want to say they are mw6502 which is very common.
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,458
    I think he might be talking about the white/black speakers Polk made back in the 90's that could be put up into corners and such...
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Those would be monitor 2s
  • pitdogg2
    Oh i thought m5 meant monitor 5. Yes clarity would help
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Oh i thought m5 meant monitor 5. Yes clarity would help

How clear can you make it...he said M5 :p
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • pitdogg2
    edited December 2017
  • Ha, thanks for all the responses!
    Yes these are truly M5 surround speakers, they are wedge shaped to fit in corners, etc. My searches on this site have presented detail on the monitor 5 but very little for the model I have. The tag on these has Polk Audio M Series with a barcode and 'M5 29687' printed under.
    I was able to find a PDF on this site that detailed how to change the drivers in M3II and M5 but there were no part numbers included.
    Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Best regards,
    Jon
  • DollarDave
    DollarDave Posts: 2,575
    edited December 2017
    I have a couple sets of those and the drivers match those in the AB805's that pop up every so often on the auction site. Not the 800's, but the 805's (and possibly 855's), which use MW7006's, if I recall correctly. Pop one out of the M5 and check it.