PSW 125 sub woofer reliability

Options
DaveNye
DaveNye Posts: 6
edited December 2017 in Speakers
My Psw125 amp is bad and out of warranty...I have read many posts that this is a common failure...so has Polk Audio changed the design of this amp? I don't want to order one if it will fail just like the old amp! Thanks for any advice!Dave

Best Answers

• Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,204
    Answer ✓
    Options
    DaveNye wrote: »
    The one on the left is the original, the one on the right is the replacement. Notice how the holes in the gasket on the right photo don't line up with the holes in the plastic on the left and right sides. That's how I knew. Plus my OCD would never let me put the new one on the left; They had to put in chronological order!
  • Hermitism
    Answer ✓
    Options
    A couple things.

1. Call them, don't email. I think Polk would benefit from just removing their email address from their website. They don't read them. I've emailed them four times since November 15th...no reply. If it had been a life or death situation, I'd be dead and buried by now.

For assistance or replacement of Polk Audio products
    Call: 1.800.377.POLK (7655) Option 1

2. Tell them that you are a forum member. Forum members used to get a small discount. Not sure if that is still the case.

Answers

• Hermitism
    Options
    I have a PSW125B that was purchased new in 2008. a month or two out of warranty the amp failed. I read a bunch of complaints on the internet (user reviews) about amps failing on that model. I called Polk and ordered a new amp, around the $100 range if memory serves. When the amp arrived it was completely different. It also wouldn't fit in the recession, I had to take a wood plane and shave about 1mm off of each side. Also the screw holes were in different locations and had to drill new holes. I no longer use that sub, but it worked flawlessly after the replacement, but to me it didn't seem as powerful. Could have just been my imagination. I have a picture of the two amps side by side. If I find it, I'll post it here, so you'll know if you have the older of the two. I'll look for it later today/tonight. When I ordered the amp, CS never mentioned an issue with that model, so a lot of the issues may have been due to over driving the amp. Me, I never raised the volume over 50%, but still had a failure.
  • DaveNye
    Options
    Thanks Hermitism....I saw your older post with the 2 amps....mine only has1 large capacitor...is that the one they sent you..or did it have 2 large capacitors?...txs for your help!
  • Hermitism
    Options
    Post a link to that thread, I can't find it. I didn't even think to look here for that picture. How old is your sub? I think it was 2011 when I got the replacement.
  • DaveNye
    Options
    Hi Hermitism....gosh...can't find that thread again....I will search some more and post if I find it...txs again..Dave
  • DaveNye
    Options
    Txs...the one on the right looks like my existing one....so I will contact CS to get new one..
    hopefully at a discount and it fits w/o any modification to box...again thanks for your help Hermitism!! Kind regards...Dave
  • DaveNye
    Options
    Hermitism....OK....thanks for your help and advice..I will post my results after I put in new amp...have a great holiday season!!