Over the top Eastlake Victorian Butler's Chest

F1nut
F1nut Posts: 49,708
I just finished restoring this piece for a client. It required a complete disassembly, literally hundreds of parts, then the rebuild/replacement/reglue not to mention a lot cosmetic work. All in all, it was a bit of a nightmare and I'll be glad to not see it in my shop anymore.

The reason I am posting this is after all these years and all the Victorian furniture I've worked on this is without question the most over the top piece I have ever seen. So, I thought I'd share with you what at one time was the height of furniture fashion. The crazy thing about it, for all the craftsmanship you see on the outside the case construction was some of the worst I've ever seen.

Enjoy!

54m8h5oaabfc.jpg

ov54xaj1rtex.jpg

imfc5a5f99v5.jpg

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

Comments

• Geez that is hideous, nice finish job though.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • F1nut
    Geez that is hideous, nice finish job though.

Yeah....not my taste for sure.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• It takes some real skill to get wood to give that warm glow. Doesn't come from 4 coats of shellac and Lemon pledge.
    It wasn't given to you covered in paint was it ? If it was, double bravo.

..... make that triple bravo.

Sal Palooza
  • F1nut
    That's the original finish after a lot of cleaning, touch up, repairs, waxing and polishing. If it was covered in paint I wouldn't have touched it because I have two rules. I don't strip paint and I don't strip paint.

President of Club Polk

• hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Amazing! Good work...
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    Not to shabby for splashing on a little old English...

Kidding

Kind of cool looking piece you just don't run across those everyday
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Very nice conservation and repair, Jesse. A little too ornate for my taste, but still beautiful.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • Nice work. That’s an interesting piece of furniture. I don’t have any idea what one would use that drawer for.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Daggum Jesse. That is Ut Bckin' Fugly. Did I mention that that was Ut Buckin' Fugly?

Great job man...(I think)...

Personally, I'd choose a bigger golf course.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • F1nut
    Nice work. That’s an interesting piece of furniture. I don’t have any idea what one would use that drawer for.

It's a butler's chest, that's the desk section. The entire piece can be locked up, the column on the right closes over the right side edge of the drawers and once locked prevents all the drawers from opening.

President of Club Polk

• treitz3
    What in the world does a BUTLER have to hide?

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Great job Jesse! Looks like that took some time. I hope you were well compensated and much appreciated by your client!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • warren
    warren Posts: 756
    Your a master craftsman.
    Some final words,
    "If you keep banging your head against the wall,
    you're going to have headaches."
    Warren
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    I think it looks kind of cool. I wouldn't want it in my space, it's just too different from modern furniture to mix, but it's kinda neat.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    treitz3 wrote: »

Tom

A gun
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • treitz3
    In THAT thing?

Tom
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477

Tom

Poison silly
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    edited December 2017
    @F1nut,

Beautifully done! Extraordinary craftsmanship on your part.

I certainly understand your comments about the piece itself, as well as those of others. It seems to be a piece that belongs in a museum, especially after your restoration.

One thing I don't understand is the the reason that anybody would build such a piece with a second-rate "foundation." For all its ornate charateristics, you would think it would have great underlying case work.

Is it English? American? Other?

One other question: Does it have a secret drawer or compartment? Many chests of that sort do, but I don't recall ever having seen a "butler's chest."

Very well done!

P.S.: You know, if it didn't have those "roses" on the top drawer, It would look a lot better!
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• treitz3
    edited December 2017
    HOW-TO-MAKE-THE-WORLD%E2%80%99S-SMALLEST-RIFLE-THAT-SHOOTS-%E2%80%93-OUT-OF-POPSICLE-STICKS-1.jpg?resize=880%2C660

Good deal, I thought it was an arsenal of these....

Tom
  • F1nut

Tom

Butler's ran the house. Among their responsibilities were such things as keeping the household accounts, dishing out cash payments, keeping the silver locked up, etc.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    @F1nut,

Beautifully done! Extraordinary craftsmanship on your part.

I certainly understand your comments about the piece itself, as well as those of others. It seems to be a piece that belongs in a museum, especially after your restoration.

One thing I don't understand is the the reason that anybody would build such a piece with a second-rate "foundation." For all its ornate charateristics, you would think it would have great underlying case work.

Is it English? American? Other?

One other question: Does it have a secret drawer or compartment? Many chests of that sort do, but I don't recall ever having seen a "butler's chest."

Very well done!

P.S.: You know, if it didn't have those "roses" on the top drawer, It would look a lot better!

I agree, this is one that belongs in a museum.

I can only surmise they cut corners where it wouldn't be noticed be the end user.

Definitely American.

No secret compartments, none required as once the right post is locked none of the drawers can be opened.

President of Club Polk

• treitz3
    Wow. My butler could not hold 1/2000 of my music collection in that.

Jesse, all kidding and rib rubbing aside? Fantastic job man! Rock it bro'!

Tom
  • F1nut
    edited December 2017
    Yeah, we all know locks are to keep honest people out.

Tom, thanks!

President of Club Polk

• MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Jesse you do great work, I bet it didn't look that good the day it was purchased!
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    I kept thinking toy soldiers were just moments from marching out onto the putting green.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Hope you charged what the job was really worth.
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    Nice work. That’s an interesting piece of furniture. I don’t have any idea what one would use that drawer for.

It's a mini pool table. Duh. :D
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    Great looking restoration job Jesse. Not crazy about the furniture itself, however (except for the mini pool table).
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee