AB805 problem

Options
I have four wall mounted AB805 speakers that are 22 years old. I use them mostly for 5.1 surround sound videos and sometimes for music (cd and radio). Some of the speakers have developed distortion especially at low volumes. The distortion sounds a bit like static. I’m guessing the problem is one of three things:

Wiring
Speaker Drivers
Cross Over

The crossovers contain one capacitor. If I replaced the caps would that solve the problem? If anyone has any ideas or advice I would appreciate it.

Thanks
Mike

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Hi Mike,
    Welcome! While anything is possible, however usually crossovers aren't the cause of distortion. Not impossible, but not the most likely cause. Most often the cause is a defective component: a tweeter or driver. Is it possible to remove the speaker's grille cover and use a pillow to cover the two drivers and hear just the tweeter?
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • dicranurus
    Options
    Yes, I’ll try that and let you know what I find.
  • dicranurus
    Options
    Kenneth
    I tried the procedure you recommended above. It appears that the tweeter is not the source of the distortion. Most, if not all the distortion is in the mid-range driver and possibly a little bit in the low range driver. Let me know what you think.

Thanks
    Mike
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hi Mike,
    It can be difficult when trying to hear mid range distortion from two closely spaced drivers and determine which one is the cause. The first thing to do is contact Polk's CS guys at 1-800-377-7655 select option 2 and they can let you know about replacement drivers. Be sure and mention you have joined CP.
    Cheers, Ken
  • dicranurus
    Options
    Thanks, I will make the call.