College Football Playoff

So we end up with FIVE one loss teams....couple of observations/opinions:
1. How do you put any 2 loss team in and leave out Georgia, Bama, Wisconsin, Oklahoma, or Clemson.
2. Based on winning their conference championship games, I think Clemson, Georgia, and Oklahoma have to get in.
3. How do you bypass a very good Bama team which, IMO, is better than Ohio St. or Wisconsin.

Should be interesting for sure....

Comments

• Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,010
    Very interesting indeed. As a die hard Ohio State fan, I feel our offense struggles at times and we don't deserve to make the playoffs.
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,309
    Alabama is in, just announced. Sux.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    Ohio State fan here too but fair call for Alabama. Maybe if Ohio State beat Wisconsin by a blow out margin they would have got in but they have had some struggles this year for sure. Better than being embarassed in their next game!
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Grew up in Big 10 country, but think the committee got it right.

I really don't think the conference a particular belongs to should have any effect on the selection of the top teams.
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,010
    They got it right.
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,949
    These make for some intriguing games...just think how great the 8 team playoff will be whenever that happens (?)
    I
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Yup. OSU was too inconsistent this year.
  • Msabot1
    Msabot1 Posts: 2,098
    Taking that **** kicking from Iowa sealed it for the Bucks,I think...
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    edited December 2017
    Because Alabama’s schedule was weak. How many top five teams did they beat this year? “Unequivocally better” based on what?

Buckeyes have one conference loss, and one loss to a very good Oklahoma team. The Buckeyes deserved to be in because they have beaten “unequivocally better” opponents than Alabama and are the Big Ten Champs. I remember what happened last time the Buckeyes won the Big Ten, they became National Champions. Was the offense not up and down then as well. The Buckeyes face top defenses in less than ideal weather almost every week and played more games than bama. Unequivocally better says the committee, give me a break. Two SEC teams in the playoff is outrageous.
    Post edited by jeremymarcinko on
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    They need to put the power 5 conference champs and three at larges for next year.
  • Yeah that works
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited December 2017
    The SEC conference is rife with losers. Been my experience that a late season loss to be taboo. Alabama does not deserve to be in the playoffs.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • halen
    halen Posts: 675
    I think that choosing the best four teams for the playoffs is wrong. Many things are wrong. prior years, you have Bama playing LSU in championship game (before playoff system). Instead of Bama playing an Stanford lead by Andrew Luck or OK State lead by Brandon Weedon. Then there was the Ohio State got into playoffs without playing for their conference title. Knocking out a 3rd ranked TCU team, even Baylor.

How do you really judge the four best teams? Last I checked, it could potentially be anyone's game, any weekend.

This significantly devalues conference championships. One conference you have to be the best with zero loses to get in, another conference you don't have to win it and another you have two teams in the playoff.

With that said, Go Sooners!! Their offense is also their defense. Why can't they play Georgia at Jerry world instead of Atlanta? Kind of like when Sooners played USC at the Coliseum or LSU in Baton Rouge or Florida at the Orange Bowl.

Halen
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    You could even go top six, 1st and 2nd having a bye
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    It doesn't matter if there are 4,6,8 or 20 teams involved, there will always be controversy. It's just human nature. I suspect the other bowl games will provide better entertainment than the playoffs.
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • Malbec
    Malbec Posts: 548
    OK. Lets say the Buckeyes make it to the playoffs over the Tide. The committee doesn't want to lose the rest of their credibility by having another potential blowout in the semifinals. Clemson is the Bruce Lee of college football.

oy8hthv6rr1l.gif

• jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    edited December 2017
    You must be talking about when Ohio State blew out the tide.
    coszi8k0w8ga.jpeg
  • txcoastal1
    Christian Wilkins, and the GIANT sophmore Dexter Lawrence are a force
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• kevhed72
    deronb1 wrote: »
    They need to put the power 5 conference champs and three at larges for next year.
    agree to the power of ten
  • txcoastal1
    You must be talking about when Ohio State blew out the tide.

I remember when Princeton and Yale ruled the roost B)

• Malbec
    No J-bird. I'm talking about the 31 points Clemson hung on the Buckeyes last year.
    Wait a minute... 31 points? Looking at Iowa's results for the season, only one team lost to the Hawkeyes by 31 points this season.

By the way, Forrest is a bigger stud than Ezekiel, plus he doesn't slap his women around.

Ron, those two guys should should be suspended and send directly to the NFL.
    I'm sooo crossing my fingers for a Sooners-Tigers matchup.
    Mayfield has been unflappable in every game I watched this year.
  • txcoastal1
    Wilkins will go next year, and then Lawrence will check out the next

• kevhed72
    Until the Big 10 starts winning more bowl games overall, the SEC will be regarded as the better conference overall...and Im a Big 10 guy
  • halen
    halen Posts: 675
    Clemson has Sooners checked last two times
    That TE Andrews with Sooners has a true NFL future. Analysts state that Baker Mayfield has the golden arm of Sam Bradford and Johnny Football Manziel. Johnny Football spirit and attitude, yes. Golden arm. No amd have you seen his offense line. Release to slow and technique is like backyard football. Not good for his height.

But yes. I would like to see Clemson v Sooners.
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,087
    I feel Clemson, Oklahoma and Alabama belong there. I would rather have had Ohio State than Georgia. I think Ohio State is a great team.

Having said that. I'd much rather wait till next year. Nebraska finally got it right!
    Look out Big Ten!

frt0vc9o8ob7.jpg

ym2kcjd3n4dl.jpg

• Msabot1
    Msabot1 Posts: 2,098
    Malbec wrote: »
    No J-bird. I'm talking about the 31 points Clemson hung on the Buckeyes last year.
    Wait a minute... 31 points? Looking at Iowa's results for the season, only one team lost to the Hawkeyes by 31 points this season.

By the way, Forrest is a bigger stud than Ezekiel, plus he doesn't slap his women around.

Ron, those two guys should should be suspended and send directly to the NFL.
    I'm sooo crossing my fingers for a Sooners-Tigers matchup.
    Mayfield has been unflappable in every game I watched this year.

Forrest is somewhat richer than he is too!...LMFAO!..
  • kevhed72
    deronb1 wrote: »
    If they took the P5 champs plus 3 at large it would be:

Clemson
    Georgia
    Oklahoma
    Ohio State
    USC
    Alabama
    Wisconson
    Auburn

Rank em how you want, but that would be a great playoff!

I would be glued to my TV for every one of these games and if I had to chose, take these games over most of the pro football games I see on TV of late
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    I'll just be glad when it's all over :#

zn47bxgp0fkb.png
  • Malbec
    On January 8th, May your heart grow 10 times that day. <3