Help me troubleshoot phono...

I would normally just get back behind the system and figure it out, but recently jammed everything into a pretty tight space, so looking for some feedback on what to check out first...

See my electronics flow in the signature below...

Problem....spinning records only the left channel makes any sound. When I hit the "mono" button on my phono preamp, both channels play...

Thanks for any input....

Paul
2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A

Comments

• Loose cable or cartridge lead.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    edited December 2017
    Yup.
    The mono result is a red herring, as the mono switch (in essence) parallels the two channels to one, but delivers the resulting "mixed to mono" signal to both stereo channels of one's preamp or amp.

The "lack of continuity" most likely will localize to one of the RCA plugs at either the tt end ("if so equipped") or at the preamp/integrated amp/receiver end. Could be not seated properly or could be a broken connection (either conductor) at the plug (very common IME with phono cables) -- or along the cable (less common, but stuff happens).

Cartridge wiring is probably #2 on the list from my perspective -- start with the "interconnects". Could be the wiring from the headshell connection to the cables, but perhaps more likely to be the little "header" wires in the headshell that connect to the cartridge pins (or those connections themselves). The little teeny-tiny female receptacles on the headshell wires were often just crimped onto the teeny-tiny wires, and could break or come loose (at least on the massmarket tts of the 1970s).

Occasionally a cartridge will actually lose a channel (i.e., cartridge failure). I've read about it on the internet, but never experienced it myself. :|

• hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Loose cable or cartridge lead.

Hopefully cable...

I’ll tried jamming my arm back there to check, but I’ll have to do it again...

t0a3fb7c3s4p.jpeg
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • mhardy6647
    yeah, well -- :)

We're all empathetic -- we've all been there.
    My problem is that cables here have evolved the ability to tie knots in themselves -- which manifests itself only when I want to move or replace one (or two).

Be safe out there!
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    yeah, well -- :)

We're all pathetic -- we've all been there.

Fixed
  • mhardy6647
    Just to clarify: I think some of us are both pathetic and empathetic.

:|
  • soundfreak1
    soundfreak1 Posts: 3,374
    Wow seeing that Darad takes me back. Really did like mine.
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a biamped to mid/highs
    Parasound HCA1500A biamped to lows
    Nakamichi EC100 Active xover
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    Lehmann audio black cube SE phono pre, Audioquest phono wire (ITA1/1)
    Denon DP-1200 TT. AToc9ML MC cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    o6xgdsx936fr.gif
    I disabled signatures.
  • hochpt21
    Checked all the connections at arms length, and yuk....everything seems fine.

I’ll have to start pulling components out and checking them.

Until I get the time and willpower....MONO IT IS!!
  • mhardy6647
    Yeah, but it's one-channel mono :( -- unless you pull out your old Sinatra and Nat "King" Cole, and those original Parlophone Beatles and UK Rolling Stones mono platters :)
  • hochpt21
    I know, but it is music coming out of both speakers. :)

I'll dig around in there when I get time..
  • mhardy6647
    edited December 2017
    Well -- if you play, say, an original Capitol stereo copy of Rubber Soul --it'll be rather apparent ;)

-- but, yeah, I hear you and I gotcha!
  • hochpt21
    I dug everything out of the system and hooked everything back up...magic.

I must have just had something connected incorrectly as all the previous connections were secure. But regardless we are back in business!!
  • mhardy6647
    We'll just hope you don't have a bad connection within one of the cables... which might re-manifest itself at any time :/