Plasma buzzing

EndersShadow
EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
edited December 2017 in Electronics
I know a few of us have or still have Panasonic Plasmas.

Early this morning mine started developing loud buzzing sound from the rear panel.

It still works fine but it’s driving me batty as I can hear it 10 feet away if I mute the TV.

I’ve holding my hand against with the flimsy rear panel and that makes it lower but then I goes back up when I let go.

And weirdly turning down the contrast helps a bit too, but I can only go so low

Is there anything I can do to do to fix this?
"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)

Comments

• We've had our 58" Panasonic plasma since 2006. While I can't offer a possible reason for the buzzing you're experiencing, the good news is the TV is completely modular with respect to various controller boards. I have replaced the digital input board on ours two times due to electrical surges caused by nearly direct lightning strikes. So, if you can isolate the noise source, perhaps it's something you can fairly easily replace? Hope so. Good luck!
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    I have yet to experience anything like this on my TC-P65S2 that I bought in 2010. I did replace the YMAIN board in 2013, which was a common issue with those models.

And I agree with BlueMDPicker. The boards are fairly easy to replace. The larger the screen, the easier, as things aren't so cramped as they are on the smaller models. Although the larger models tend to have costlier parts.

Doing a Google search of the model number and "buzzing sound" will likely bring you to a forum with a wealth of information. And once you find what part is the culprit, there is probably a YouTube video showing how to replace it. :)
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Mine buzzes. I just turn up the volume. ;)
    My screen fluctuates as well.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,640
    Never an issue with mine. Looking for an excuse to replace it. No luck (wife)
  • EndersShadow
    From what I'm reading, its likely the ferrite cores on the unit vibrating against the flismy metal on the back.

If this thing wasn't wall mounted (and 100+ lbs), I'd pull it off, take the back off and then either dynamat the OUTSIDE of the back, or do what the suggest, which is wrap the back of the cores with electrical tape and then put the back on.

Maybe next weekend when I have friends over, I will think about it.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,709
    There are small fans back there, it's possible one of those is bad.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• sgmsmg
    sgmsmg Posts: 542
    It might also just the area where the fans are need cleaning.
    2 Channel
    Pre:Bryston BP173
    Amp:Bryston 14B3
    Speakers: Golden Ear Triton Reference
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Bryston BDA-3, Bryston BDP-3, Bryston BCD-3, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 Speaker, Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 XLR, AQ Diamond USB/HDMI
    Power: PS Audio P10 Regenerator, AC12, AC10 and AC5 Cables
    Display: Sony XBR65Z9F

Home Theater
    Pre: Anthem AVM90/JBL SDP-55
    Amps: Parasound A31, A51x2
    Speakers: Polk LSiM 707 (FL/FR), Polk LSiM706 (Center), LSiM 703 (SL/SR/SBL/SBR), Polk 900-LS (Atmos)
    Subwoofers: SVS SB16 x 4
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: AQ Meteor/Rocket 88, AQ Niagara/Sky
    Power: Torus AVR20, Shunyata Denali, Shunyata Delta, Cullen, PangeaAC9SE Cables
    Display: Sony XBR85Z9G
  • Mine always buzzed a little. More when DC was present on the line.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • Rich502
    Rich502 Posts: 146
    My Panasonic plasma always buzzed when I dimmed the recessed lights in my room. The more I dimmed the louder the buzz became, which totally went away once I turned the lights off. Is there anything on the line, even in another room that may be causing the noise?
  • Holiday lights?
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • EndersShadow
    Rich502 wrote: »
    My Panasonic plasma always buzzed when I dimmed the recessed lights in my room. The more I dimmed the louder the buzz became, which totally went away once I turned the lights off. Is there anything on the line, even in another room that may be causing the noise?

Now that you mention it we do have Christmas lights we JUST put up.

That said, the TV and my two amps are on dedicated 20 amp circuits so the house would have to be going to he panel then back onto the TVs circuit
  • Could it be electromagnetic induction associated with holiday lighting?
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    edited December 2017
    Could be any DC on the mains. I have an Emotiva CMX2 that eliminates DC, which I purchased for an ATI amp that was susceptible to tranny buzz from DC. Prior to the CMX2 when the Amp buzzed so did the plasma. As you said the brighter the picture the louder the buzz.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    If it is the Christmas lights it would be because of EMI coming from the unshielded wires. As long as they are plugged in it could cause interference regardless of the electrical circuit being different. Unplug and see if the issue resolves.

My guess though is a dirty fan wobbling. If reachable, a can of compressed air may resolve it.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    nbrowser wrote: »

Buy a cheap Ninendo Wii on craigslist...get a sports game and "accidentally" chuck the controller at the screen while playing....bowling! Hard as possible...then go buy a new TV. :)

Ken you forgot one thing....blame it on the kids B)
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • EndersShadow

Buy a cheap Ninendo Wii on craigslist...get a sports game and "accidentally" chuck the controller at the screen while playing....bowling! Hard as possible...then go buy a new TV. :)
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

Ain’t no got no money to replace it with fellas.

Weirdly enough later yesterday the HDMI 1 inputs started looking weird and grainy, so we switched to HDMI 2, and the picture is back to good, and by adjusting the contrast down a bit the humming is gone.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902

Weirdly enough later yesterday the HDMI 1 inputs started looking weird and grainy, so we switched to HDMI 2, and the picture is back to good, and by adjusting the contrast down a bit the humming is gone.

Hope you realize Dan, that set is on it's last legs. After the new year, start looking on your local craigslist for another tv on the cheap.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • EndersShadow
    tonyb wrote: »

Hope you realize Dan, that set is on it's last legs. After the new year, start looking on your local craigslist for another tv on the cheap.

I’m gonna price out a new HDMI board as I very much like the set.

Maybe move it to the loft and find a Insignia or Visio 60+ tv for downstairs or something. I’ve been fairly impressed with my other two Insignias.
  • I’m gonna price out a new HDMI board as I very much like the set.

They were running $125-$140 used/refurbished when I replaced mine. Never ran across a new one. Make sure you find the exact board number for best results. On my set, there were 4 variations (designated via suffixes) of the HDMI I/O board.

• EndersShadow
    I’m gonna price out a new HDMI board as I very much like the set.

They were running $125-$140 used/refurbished when I replaced mine. Never ran across a new one. Make sure you find the exact board number for best results. On my set, there were 4 variations (designated via suffixes) of the HDMI I/O board.

Good to know. Any reputable sources for boards or ones to stay away from?
  • Lol! Just checked my bookmarks and BOTH the companies I've purchased from seem to be defunct: tristatemodule.com and moduslinkptstvboards.com

Tough business!

Once you get the exact board number, you might try a saved search on eBay until one pops up. Good luck. You'll be a huge fan of their circuit design engineers when you've completed the fix.