I just got new surrounds in the mail for my CV -280-SE's . Cool speakers

Tony M
Tony M Posts: 11,009
edited December 2017 in The Clubhouse
Last sat. I went to a yard sale and picked up a set of these CV 280-SE's . I ordered the surrounds before the sun. went down and they arrived today. B)

I might re-foam them tonight, but we'll see.
Here is a pick of them. Oh, I wanted to say I was cleaning the old years of nicotine ( but not too bad ) and dirt and grime off of them and I felt something I have never felt before.

The fronts are covered in black velvet ! :o I went to clean the dirt off the front and the paper towel stuck to the front. I loaded them into the car, unloaded them. I took the woofers out of them and NEVER noticed the velvet. :( They are cool looking 80's style .

Below is an old ad I just saw on the web. I'll post a pic. also from that ad.

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649009022-sound_spectaculaire_cerwin_vega_280_se_155_watts_new_surrounds/

lt56yq1w7qfr.jpg

Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.

Comments

• rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    To get the proper acoustic signature, you need shag carpeting. If I remember correctly, purple offered the best tonal balance.
  • Tony M
    I remember orange doing the trick. :p
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    Tony M wrote: »
    True. Plus, it will match the lava lamp. :p
  • Tony M
    Viking64 wrote: »
    True. Plus, it will match the lava lamp. :p

Of which I have 8 now.
    I've given a couple as gifts in the past couple of years. My neighbor says they leave theirs on 24/7 since I gave them one.
    If I saw them at Goodwill, I'd pick them up for 5.00 to 7.00. The bulbs alone cost 6 or 8 bucks..so I was getting the lamps for free. B)
  • Tony M
    Redid the surrounds on the cones last night. Glued the new surrounds to the frames today and an hour and 1/2 later, I re-glued the cardboard thing flange back on top of the woofer surround. They look brand new again. I might test them tomorrow.

x9l93o8ujytb.jpg
    61ft37orb313.jpg
    7pc4vfsthsqu.jpg
    93lyfg9qna4d.jpg
    ll684fke3jhi.jpg
    6lj1xkvf0gx7.jpg
    4hs292fbmbe8.jpg
    4jpe5m0r6543.jpg
    xkadlydmfi07.jpg
    zsb6ehtu2igz.jpg
    uu4tdse31rgr.jpg
  • Don't forget to trim the rubber over mounting holes.
  • Tony M
    Thanks for the advice.
    I thought the same thing after the Polk replacement woofer issues.

Can you believe the instructions that came with the new surrounds said " Don't worry about trimming the new surround that partially covers the screw holes " ??? what ???

I was going to do it anyway . ;)
    Just like everyone should do.
    Y-not .
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    I usually just slit 'em for the screws -- but it depends on how serious of a 'refoam' that I am performing.

In full disclosure.... I have refoamed a pair of C-V woofers myself. Not that I am necessarily proud of that statement... but I have done it. ;)
    24965305118_da1902ab9b_b.jpgCVR12 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • Tony M
    Great job ! I Love Polks but I also have a disease to where I have to own and hear every speaker ever made if I can afford them.. :s
    I'm done re-foaming and here some pics. I still haven't put them back in but maybe tonight. I can't hardly wait to hear how they sound. Volume wise mainly, I know what quality sounds like now soooo. ;)xmzmutww6nkt.jpg
    4aqve8fc9j2p.jpg

I threw sooo many great speakers away because I couldn't or should I say, didn't know how friken easy it is to re-foam them !

I do have 4 woofers out of these that the voice coil gap is so darn tight, I doubt I could ever get them to not rub after re-foaming. So I just replaced them with some nice DCM woofers and they sounded great. I've kept the old woofers just in case. They have those HEAVY square Alnico magnets.

kxu2zqwp34no.jpg

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    Great job ! I Love Polks but I also have a disease to where I have to own and hear every speaker ever made if I can afford them.. :s
    I cannot identify with this statement at all... ;)
    I'm done re-foaming and here some pics. I still haven't put them back in but maybe tonight. I can't hardly wait to hear how they sound. Volume wise mainly, I know what quality sounds like now soooo. ;)xmzmutww6nkt.jpg
    4aqve8fc9j2p.jpg

I threw sooo many great speakers away because I couldn't or should I say, didn't know how friken easy it is to re-foam them !
    Those look great. I don't think I ever put the trim rings back on the above-mentioned CVs I did. They were given to me by a friend when we lived in Harvard, many years back, and they served my son well in his high school years... they're somewhere in the basement at this house now... I think.
    I do have 4 woofers out of these that the voice coil gap is so darn tight, I doubt I could ever get them to not rub after re-foaming. So I just replaced them with some nice DCM woofers and they sounded great. I've kept the old woofers just in case. They have those HEAVY square Alnico magnets.

kxu2zqwp34no.jpg

What the heck are those. They look familiar -- but only vaguely so.
    They look interesting.
  • Tony M
    MCS speakers.

I already had a MCS TT.
    Same wood grain.
    It resembles a Technics and it has some good weight to it too.

They weigh around 60+ lbs. each with their original woofers. They were a yard sale purchase at 12 noon one sat . a year ago I guess. I saw the ad but we had something or somewhere else to go and on the way back, I said to my wife, the yard sale is just a mile away, I want to see if they're still there. I saw the ad saw and the speakers. But I didn't think they would be there ! And they were pretty clean too. The original owner loved them for years and always took great care of them. He loved listening to his Motown music on them. I could see why. They all have their grills too. 2 speakers have little tiny issues with them. One on one and one on the other. No biggies at all. Both internal.

I asked him how much. :#

35.00 for all 4. :D
    And he was an ex furniture mover and he put them in my car like they were boxes full of potato chips.. :o

They sound really good too !
  • I've got a pair of the 10" 3-way time aligned MCS that sound decent. Over the years I've owned way too many pairs of Versions. Still have a pair of D9's AKA washer and dryer cuz of their size. Had the 15's in them reconed and remembered how thick the foam rubber was over all the mounting holes. Looked like they were begging to wad up on the screws and do some damage if they weren't trimmed.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Good speakers for listening to Slayer, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, etc loudly. Very loudly.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    I confess to owning a pair of D9's. Picked them up cheap. Cosmetically they were in pretty good shape, but the tweeters were blown & woofers needed a refoam. I refoamed the woofers, and it took awhile but I was able to source a pair of the CS5 tweeters, which are not the same as the other D series tweeters.

Frankly, they sound terrible, even for rock. Ear bleedingly bright and the bass is really not that fabulous. Have considered redoing the crossovers, but am having a hard time justifying sinking any more money into something I might pull out once in a blue moon just to rock out for the hell of it. Getting too old for that **** anyway.
  • Tony M
    I helped my co-worker that was selling his D9s.

My neighbor loved CVs and when I heard my co-worker was selling the big ones, I told my neighbor about them. How much he asked. I'll ask my co-worker tommorow. My co-worker said since it was through me, 200.00. When I told my neighbor, he couldn't get them to his own home fast enough.

I helped load and unload them. Big speakers for sure. I heard them in my co-workers house and they rocked with a good tone to them. Really good tone.

Like you DaveHo, when I heard them in my neighbors smaller house, they had a week bass also. Same speakers, different electronics and sizes of the living rooms made a big difference .
  • Tony M
    I put the re-foamed woofers back in and heard them for the first time louder than a whisper. I also noticed the label on the front says 117 db. SPL maximum.. :o

I'm impressed ! These midsize boxes ROCK . The bass seems tight and the mids. and highs are classic CV. Clear. Quite balanced tone wise and that's with both potentiometers on each speaker set to midway.

The louder I pushed them, the more I was concerned about my hearing. But they didn't seem strained at all !

It was cool to bring these back to life.

I wish I had done this to a previous pr. I got from a yard sale. I just sold the older ones for what I paid. 40.00. The guy took and re-foamed them and put them on Ebay for 399.00...and sold them to a best offer. :s Quickly too. I was bummed a lot and said to myself, I HAVE to learn to re-foam before I die. So I have. Way too late in life though, but there is a saying, never too late to....!