Computer Help

Options
I'm not computer illiterate, but I can't build a computer from scratch, I'm somewhere in between. I have a Dell laptop that I'm having an issue with as of three days ago. I keep losing my internet connection. My DSL router is working fine with my desktop and tablet. After much diagnosis, I have determined that the problem is when I tilt the screen past 90 degrees. Open it any further, and the laptop won't even detect my router. Move the lid to where the angle is less than 90 degrees, my connection returns. When I get a signal, shaking the laptop or tapping on it hard won't make me lose the wifi signal. My first thought is that I have a loose antenna wire connected to my wireless card. Took the laptop apart. Both antenna wires seemed to be connected, I disconnected them, removed the screw that holds the network card down, removed the card, re-seated it, screwed it down, reattached the antenna wires (hardest part, the connection is soooo small), put the laptop back together, no fixxy. Then I thought maybe something is telling the card to shutdown as if I was closing the lid, so I unchecked the option in Device Manager/Network Adapters/Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160/Power Management to "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power". No worky. For the heck of it, I went ahead and downloaded the most current drivers for the card, no fixxy. I'm baffled. The diagnostic software says the network card is working perfectly, even when it's not getting a connection to the router. It's as if it's just not receiving a signal. I can place the laptop right next to the router and it still won't get a signal if the lid is opened past 90 degrees. No issues when connected with an ethernet cable. It took three days to figure out the issue is related to the angle of the lid. I have a bluetooth mouse, no issues with connection, just wifi.

@nbrowser

Comments

• Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,204
    Options
    I knew you'd know! Thank you!!
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    Options
    nbrowser wrote: »
    use a mini USB Wifi adapter.

This is what I'd do. Newegg sells them for super cheap. And dont remove the internal card, just disable it in device manager.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Hermitism
    Options
    You don't know how much I appreciate your help! It took forever to figure out it was related to the angle of the display. It would work fine on a desk, as soon as I put it on my lap, I'd lose the signal. I thought my legs were pushing in on the bottom of the computer and thought the antenna was loose, it sits on rubber nobbies when on a desk. Then finally figured out I readjust the screen when I sit it on my lap. And then figured it out when messing with the lid. Yeah, that link you posted would be the easiest fix.

Anyway to disable the network card and not have it reinstall with every startup, so I don't have to open it back up to remove it? And does my bluetooth mouse work from that same card or is there another card that controls bluetooth?
  • Hermitism
    Options
    nbrowser wrote: »
    use a mini USB Wifi adapter.

This is what I'd do. Newegg sells them for super cheap. And dont remove the internal card, just disable it in device manager.
    Just saw your post after asking the question about disabling. Thanks!
  • Hermitism
    Options
    @nbrowser
    @EndersShadow

Ken & Dan, I can't thank you enough. My laptop is back up and running on the internet! $8/free shipping, I'll take an eight dollar fix any day. It arrived today. Why does a laptop antenna have to go all the way around the display, when this little tp-link thingy gets a really good signal. It's so small. In the room where I use the laptop the most, it's one bar shy of a full signal, but it's steady. I had noticed the last couple months that the signal strength was fluctuating a lot. I had assumed that it was my router starting to fail... Not so much. That green flashing light might get the black electrical tape treatment. :wink: I can't stop looking at it, it keeps attracting my attention when I'm trying to focus on adult internet pictures. I'm just kidding... Not really.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,480
    Options
    But don't go blind
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    Options
    Herm:

I may have mentioned these to you before... but if not.. buy them :smile:.

We have used just about all the different sizes on things from our Security systems LED screen, router, ADT security brain box, Crown amps, soundbar power buttons, and they are super easy to put on lol.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Hermitism
    Options
    I may have mentioned these to you before... but if not.. buy them :smile:.

We have used just about all the different sizes on things from our Security systems LED screen, router, ADT security brain box, Crown amps, soundbar power buttons, and they are super easy to put on lol.
    Perfect. Looks like the cure for what ails me! Jesse's favorite power conditioner has some lights on the front that are extremely distracting when watching TV/movies. I also have a thumb drive I bought years ago that has a blinky that's as bright as a street lamp. That product would be good to put over my laptop camera. I don't need anyone spying on me while I deteriorate my sight. That joke's for DaveHo :lol:

• mrbigbluelight
    Options
    .... and be sure to put one of those dot-things over your laptop's camera. B)
    Sal Palooza