New to Polk and New to home audio help!!

1235»

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    wickedg8gt wrote: »
    I always do 5 seating positions. When calibrating.

Do you get to toggle through all those or does it keep the last one? When i ran an AVR i would only do my seating position at ear height.
  • rpf65 wrote: »
    Calibration programs aren't perfect. A lot of people make changes after running them.

Not sure what speakers your running, but that AVR is designed for book shelf type speakers. You may want to look at higher end AVRs. As you look at the more expensive offering, of any manufacturer, one of the things that tend to get better is power supplies. I would start there, before thinking about an amp.

Getting more power to your speakers isn't just about getting them to play louder, it's to get overall preformance better. Many times people will get a more robust AVR and find that they're actually playing they're systems at lower volumes, because dialogue seems to be clearer.

Better power supplies usually mean cleaner power. Clean power tends to improve dialogue, when discussing HT systems. This is why many people hear a noticiable improvement when adding a power conditioner to their current systems.

Hello sir. My speakers are S60 fronts; S35 for center and fxia6 for rears.
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    edited December 2017

When I tried doing Audyssey by the instructions I got bad reading.

What I found that worked was only moving the Audyssey mic 3" per reading.

A nice big AVR like a Denon X4400 and a nice amp would always help.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • mrloren wrote: »

When I tried doing Audyssey by the instructions I got bad reading.

What I found that worked was only moving the Audyssey mic 3" per reading.

A nice big AVR like a Denon X4400 and a nice amp would always help.

Ok. I will try doing the Audy without doing major placement.

That's what I've been looking at is the 4400. Crutchfield has the 4400 and the 6300 on sale for exact same price. But the 6400 does all 5 speaker bi-amping for $800 more.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    There is no bi-amping with a receiver forget that. The more channels you engage the less power will actually be going to the speakers. The Denon 6300 is rated @ 140x2 so anything after two channels will drop and distortion will go up some. If you engage 5 channels it may be tough hitting 100wpc. That receiver can only do 205watts with one channel and I believe that was with 1% distortion. So you will not be doubling anything.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Time to maybe start looking at an amp or a lot more wattage Denon receiver. I've put over 100 hours on my Signature Series speakers and I can tell they are broke in. Not as loud/prominent as when they were knew. When streaming HD movies with 5.1/7.1 high def audio; I have to turn my receiver below -10 to really get the loudness and boom sound I want. Was told by Polk to never turn my receiver to 0 or in the positives. My current Audy settings are Front L/R: -5.5 Center: -4.5 Sub: 0 Surround L/R: -8.5. Opinions on what to do? I'm afraid to turn my receiver up any higher than -3 or -4.

Those settings are way low, go back into the setup menu and change everything back to 0, see if that helps, and it will, then adjust to your liking to balance it out.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    You can try rerunning Audyssey, maybe play with the settings, but I have a feeling you won't be satisfied.

That AVR is pretty old, in the HT world, so I probably wouldn't advise buying an amp, just to make that one work. Really didn't check to see if it had pre outs for the front two, but pretty much everything changed since that one was built.

I think if you want to get back into the HT game, you should really consider a more modern AVR. If you want to stick with Denon, I would look at the 3300 or higher.
    Lot of good AVRs out there, and even if you don't plan on expanding your number of speakers, there are other reasons to upgrade.
  • rpf65 wrote: »
    You can try rerunning Audyssey, maybe play with the settings, but I have a feeling you won't be satisfied.

That AVR is pretty old, in the HT world, so I probably wouldn't advise buying an amp, just to make that one work. Really didn't check to see if it had pre outs for the front two, but pretty much everything changed since that one was built.

I think if you want to get back into the HT game, you should really consider a more modern AVR. If you want to stick with Denon, I would look at the 3300 or higher.
    Lot of good AVRs out there, and even if you don't plan on expanding your number of speakers, there are other reasons to upgrade.

You are very much correct sir. I do need a new one. So much has changed. I want to upgrad my PJ to 4k anyway. Looking at Crutchfield, they have the newer 4400 and last years model 6300, on sale for same price.
  • rpf65
    Look at Accessories4less. Factory refurb units.
  • mrloren
    rpf65 wrote: »

You are very much correct sir. I do need a new one. So much has changed. I want to upgrad my PJ to 4k anyway. Looking at Crutchfield, they have the newer 4400 and last years model 6300, on sale for same price.

Man that is a tough one.

The X4400 is newest latest and greatest software support even Auro-3D (whatever that is). The lid off pictures it look like a Marantz SR701X. Both are the same max wattage and are made in Vietnam.

The X6300 is last year's model, has most of the same bells as the X4400. It does come in @ 140WX2. The top selling point for me is MADE IN JAPAN.

It is a tough one.

When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • mrloren wrote: »

Man that is a tough one.

The X4400 is newest latest and greatest software support even Auro-3D (whatever that is). The lid off pictures it look like a Marantz SR701X. Both are the same max wattage and are made in Vietnam.

The X6300 is last year's model, has most of the same bells as the X4400. It does come in @ 140WX2. The top selling point for me is MADE IN JAPAN.

It is a tough one.

Why does made in Japan make a difference?
  • With your all's help, looks like the 4400 it is.

And several have mentioned a nice amp. If the 4400 is 125 watts, and the Polk rated at 200 watts; I need something at least 200 watts. What brands do you recommend, and where should I start looking?
  • mrloren
    edited December 2017
    mrloren wrote: »

Man that is a tough one.

It is a tough one.

Why does made in Japan make a difference?

Quality control. less defects rolling off the line. Still made with Chinese boards, just better QC.

Parasound make a good AMP http://www.safeandsoundhq.com/products/Power-Amplifiers?scri=527&filter
  • I also just found the 3400 which is a 7.1 and 105 watts and 600 cheaper than the 4400.
  • rpf65
    The 3400 looks like it can decode all the current formats fo HT.

Both have pre outs, if you want to amplify any of your channels at some point in the future.

If Crutchfield offers both, you can bring up a comparison chart, see if there are any differences. See something you don't understand and are curios about, pretty sure somebody here can help.

Either should be a good choice.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,707
    With your all's help, looks like the 4400 it is.

And several have mentioned a nice amp. If the 4400 is 125 watts, and the Polk rated at 200 watts; I need something at least 200 watts. What brands do you recommend, and where should I start looking?

You're mistakenly hung up on watts. There's a lot more involved such the efficiency of the speakers, their nominal impedance, the current (amperes) capability of the power source, room size, preferred volume level, etc.

That said, the Signature series are an easy load and very efficient, so that AVR would have no trouble driving them.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk