Armacell question

I'm going to need to open one of my SDA's, sounds like the XO has come loose and I need to repair. When I pull the PR, the Armacell will be fully compressed, and it does not expand back out again. Do I need to apply new Armacell and re-compress? Or can I just re-use the existing flattened seal? I'm thinking the only way to get a good seal is to re-do it, and re-compress over several days.
Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.

Comments

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,635
    Renew and re-torque often.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    I would not see why you couldn't reuse it. why would that be any different than factory gaskets? As long as it is not tore I'd think you could reuse.
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    Factory gaskets have a bit of thickness to them. They're foam and compress a bit as you tighten down. But the Armacell is different. Armacell compresses to the point of being paper thin, and doesn't expand back at all when you remove the driver. The only reason I ask is I've done it before, and it's a royal pain to remove the existing layer. Could just go over it I suppose, but I'd be inclined to remove it.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    There is no need to replace it.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    All of the original gaskets on my 2.3TL's were paper-thin when I pulled the drivers, and they didn't expand at all, even overnight.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    Viking64 wrote: »
    All of the original gaskets on my 2.3TL's were paper-thin when I pulled the drivers, and they didn't expand at all, even overnight.

^ THIS ^

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    The gaskets are supposed to be paper thin because you want the driver in maximum contact with the bezel.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nspindel
    Understood. Not questioning whether the seal should compress to be paper thin, I know this is what's supposed to happen. I'm simply asking whether or not it's recommended to replace the seal and start from scratch if you remove the driver, or if the existing paper thin Armacell seal can be retained and just screwed back in?
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Never double gasket anything that sees pressure.
  • F1nut
    nspindel wrote: »
    Understood. Not questioning whether the seal should compress to be paper thin, I know this is what's supposed to happen. I'm simply asking whether or not it's recommended to replace the seal and start from scratch if you remove the driver, or if the existing paper thin Armacell seal can be retained and just screwed back in?

Reuse if not torn.

President of Club Polk

• muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,962
    FestYboy wrote: »
    Never double gasket anything that sees pressure.

Yep, forgot to remove the oil filter gasket on my old Chevy once and applied the new gasket over it...what a mess!
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • nspindel
    Ok, reuse it is. Certainly is easier! Thanks folks.