New receiver for RTi-A5

Hello
My current Pioneer VSX-920 is giving me trouble with video switching (hdmi)
Anyway, I purchased it cheap 7 years ago, and now with my recent RTi-A5, it's maybe time to get something much better
But I want to find a receiver that is not too deep...I was thinking about the Marantz SR5011 from A4L for $550
Is this a good pick? Any other recommendation in that price range, and not too deep?

Thanks
RTiA5 + CSiA4 + Jamo SW410E
Yamaha TSR-700 (equivalent to RX V6A)
No surround...yet

Comments

• andrew82
    andrew82 Posts: 144
    Sounds like a good pick to me. Polk specifies a 50w-250w per channel amplifier for the A5s, so the SR5011 would do just fine. I liked my Marantz receiver for sound signature and functionality.

Personally-especially if you're just running two speakers-, I'd get one of Marantz's NR slim line and splurge a bit on an added amp. Would solve any questions you have about power and give you the AV capabilities you're after.
  • French_guy
    French_guy Posts: 338
    I have the 2 towers and 1 center (Csi A4)....No surround for now, but plan to add surrounds as soon as I can
    I've also read good things about Denon AVR 3300W....but it's deeper
    No surround...yet
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,310
    They have a Yamaha Aventage RX-A760 for $449 with an egg on it. Supposedly $20 off when it has an egg. Lots of good reviews on here for their Aventage line.

I think the Marantz is a better receiver but if you want to save a few bucks, this is a good option.
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    edited May 2017
    I liked what my Marantz SR5010 did for my RTi8. really warmed them up a bit. So far I like my Marantz with the signatures too.

The down side to the Marantz is the Audyssey, takes a bit to dial it in.

For the Yamaha, I was told to not to mess with the 7XX or 8XX and only go for the 10XX and up.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    The 5011 will work well with the RTI A5's.

Can get the 5010, refurb, on Amazon for less than $500, think only 1or 2 HDMI's are 2.2 capable though. May want to look into it.
  • French_guy
    The Denon AVR-3300X is $100 more than the Marantz.....Is it worth it?
    No surround...yet
  • French_guy
    No surround...yet
  • French_guy
    It's not really about the 5W difference, but more about the Denon having the Audyssey XT32...I've heard it was a big improvement over the Audyssey XT !
    No surround...yet
  • andrew82
    andrew82 Posts: 144
    Honestly, I would worry too much about the room correction. I've used both XT32 and currently use Anthem's ARC (regarded as the best or at least, among the best). Really, I'm not sure what the difference is, but I can tell a difference between the two receivers' musicality and tone.

Again, depends on what you use it for.
  • rpf65
    Between the Denon and Marantz.

If you want to focus more on the music side; Marantz.

If the focus is HT; Denon.

• French_guy
    It will be more HT oriented, but I will also use it for music....Let's say 80% / 20%
    For music, I like jazz and also female vocals (Lisa Gerard for example)
    I like the Marantz SR 5011 for it's relatively short depth....
    No surround...yet
  • PixOtt
    PixOtt Posts: 15
    Hi All, sorry this post may be repeated. I have a Onkyo Receiver HTR-393 with 110 W at 6 ohms. I am planing to buy a pair of RTia5 from my colleague which is rated as 8ohms which I think is okey to work with my receiver. But regarding the point of power output, this Onkyo receiver can do its part? My room is only 20 feet X 30 feet. I am getting this pair at very cheap price, as my colleague is upgrading to B&W. Any answer and help is highly reply appreciated.

https://www.cnet.com/products/polk-audio-rtia5-speaker/specs/
  • mrloren
    PixOtt wrote: »
    Hi All, sorry this post may be repeated. I have a Onkyo Receiver HTR-393 with 110 W at 6 ohms. I am planing to buy a pair of RTia5 from my colleague which is rated as 8ohms which I think is okey to work with my receiver. But regarding the point of power output, this Onkyo receiver can do its part? My room is only 20 feet X 30 feet. I am getting this pair at very cheap price, as my colleague is upgrading to B&W. Any answer and help is highly reply appreciated.

No that Onkyo is a small unit made more for home theater in a box stuff. The specs on A4L says it's 65 watts not 110. https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/onkhtr393/onkyo-ht-r393-5.1-ch-x-65-watts-bluetooth-a/v-receiver/1.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIj-iP8pqr1wIVQm5-Ch0sYgUkEAQYASABEgKMnfD_BwE#!more

I would look more at a Denon, Marantz or Yamaha. If you're getting a good deal get the speakers and save for a better AVR. If you hook up the RTi to the Onkyo don't turn it up.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • rpf65
    The RTI A5's are pretty easy to drive. Two channel only, in a room that size, will probably get you a moderate amount of sound. probably somewhere you're tempted to go a little louder.

That Onkyo is made for small bookies and satellite speakers. Entry level, low powered AVR's are notorious for causing the magic smoke to leave speakers. Wouldn't go above halfway on the volume knob, just to be safe.
  • nguyendot
    nguyendot Posts: 3,594
    "only" 20x30? That's a huge room considering the power you're putting in.
    Main Surround -
    Epson 8350 Projector/ Elite Screens 120" / Pioneer Elite SC-35 / Sunfire Signature / Focal Chorus 716s / Focal Chorus CC / Polk MC80 / Polk PSW150 sub

Bedroom - Sharp Aquos 70" 650 / Pioneer SC-1222k / Polk RT-55 / Polk CS-250

Den - Rotel RSP-1068 / Threshold CAS-2 / Boston VR-M60 / BDP-05FD
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Yea I didn't see the room size before, and didn't look carefully at the receiver. Again, if you crossover at 80hz and keep the volume in check you should be okay, but the sound will be disappointing. It will be thin and shrill because you are underpowering already bright speakers.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • PixOtt

mrloren wrote: »

No that Onkyo is a small unit made more for home theater in a box stuff. The specs on A4L says it's 65 watts not 110. https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/onkhtr393/onkyo-ht-r393-5.1-ch-x-65-watts-bluetooth-a/v-receiver/1.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIj-iP8pqr1wIVQm5-Ch0sYgUkEAQYASABEgKMnfD_BwE#!more

I would look more at a Denon, Marantz or Yamaha. If you're getting a good deal get the speakers and save for a better AVR. If you hook up the RTi to the Onkyo don't turn it up.

nguyendot wrote: »
    "only" 20x30? That's a huge room considering the power you're putting in.

yeap only 20X30. :expressionless: nit sure what to do.. its nice set of speaker.. :smile: tempting!
  • mrloren
    It's all up to you. If you're getting a deal on the speakers for like around $200 then I would say do for it. Put them in a closet for a few months and save some bucks.

A4L sell referb AVR for a good price. Some have had bad luck while others have had good with them. Here are a couple of AVR's I would look at.

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx2300w/denon-avr-x2300w-7.2-ch-x-95-watts-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx3300w/denon-avr-x3300w-7.2-ch-x-105-watts-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/marsr5011/marantz-sr5011-7.2-ch-x-100-watts-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamrxa760bl/yamaha-rx-a760-7.2-ch-x-90-watts-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html

What are your end goals with what you are planning? 2 channel? 5.1 HT setup?

This rabbit hole can get costly, Budget, look for deals and save.
  • PixOtt
    mrloren wrote: »
    It's all up to you. If you're getting a deal on the speakers for like around $200 then I would say do for it. Put them in a closet for a few months and save some bucks.

A4L sell referb AVR for a good price. Some have had bad luck while others have had good with them. Here are a couple of AVR's I would look at.

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx2300w/denon-avr-x2300w-7.2-ch-x-95-watts-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx3300w/denon-avr-x3300w-7.2-ch-x-105-watts-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/marsr5011/marantz-sr5011-7.2-ch-x-100-watts-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamrxa760bl/yamaha-rx-a760-7.2-ch-x-90-watts-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html

What are your end goals with what you are planning? 2 channel? 5.1 HT setup?

This rabbit hole can get costly, Budget, look for deals and save.

Thanks a lot mrloren; I will look for 5.1 channel Receiver as I have got a center speaker and a sub. maybe I will put the Onkyo for sale. Learned a lot for you. :) Thanks a lot for the recommendations.
  • Still looking for a receiver for my RTi A5...A friend of mine purchased the Denon ARV S930H, and says it's nice. I was thinking first for a Marantz SR5011, but then read reviews about the Denon Denon AVR X3300W......that has Audyssey XT32
    Which one should I get (I would say I do 80% HT and 20% music)
    Thanks
    No surround...yet
  • rpf65
    Both are good choices and will drive those A5's pretty well.

The Denon has a few more features for HT, but is slightly on the bright side, in my opinion. The Marantz is slightly laid back, again in my opinion, and I like it better for music.
  • mrloren
    edited November 2017
    I have the SR5010, When I first got it I had RTi8's it did calm down the harshness on music a lot. It took movies to a new level over my Sony ES it replaced.

The guy who I sold my RTi8's to got the Denon X3300W. It's a very nice AVR and Audyssey XT32 is nicer to dial in than XT. I think the only settings I had to change we set the speakers to small and crossover to 80hz.

I have my SR5010 all dialed in now but it was a lot of trial and error. If I were to do it all over again I would get the Denon with XT32
  • I have the dennon avrx3300 and I have been very pleased with it, nice little receiver. Audssey xt32 is very nice. As said switch large to small I have the s60 towers set to small at a cross over of 80. Still playing though
  • French_guy
    OK, I still haven't replaced my receiver (Pioneer VSX 920), but yesterday my daughter wanted to use the XBox, and it was doing weird sounds !!! Guess it's dying, and it's time to replace it
    I was originally looking for the Denon X3300W or Marantz SR5011 (both at $500 at A4L), but I've had unexpected expenses recently, and I'm know looking at something slightly less
    What about the Denon X2400H, or even cheaper the S930H? Or any other recommendations? (running 3.1 for now, will probably upgrade to 5.1, not sure I will have room for 7.1 or more before a while !!!)
    No surround...yet
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    If there's room behind the seating area, then I strongly recommend a 7.2.2 or higher system, if not, then stick with 5.2.x. Most good units now have Atmos capability (through internal channels or external amps). Just something to consider.
  • French_guy
    edited June 2018
    No room behind the seating area unfortunately...
    By the way, I'm using my setup principally for HT and games. I would say 90% HT/games and only 10% music
    Another option maybe: Yamaha RX-A760?
    No surround...yet
  • French_guy
    Denon AVR-S930H is $280 at A4L with free shipping
    The Denon AVR-X2400H is $400, free shipping as well....
    Is the latest really worth the $120 difference (mainly for movies with RTiA5 and CSiA4)?
    No surround...yet
  • firsttimer
    firsttimer Posts: 87
    You will love the 2400
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Yeah, the 2400 will fit what you want very well, plus grow with your setup for a while to come. It'll do 5.2.2 when you're ready for Atmos, has 4k pass through, up scaling, and great price to boot.