Need info on first version Polk Model 10's

jimkarl
jimkarl Posts: 7
edited November 2017 in Vintage Speakers
Have have What I believe to be the 1st version model 10's, vinyl venner cab (rosewood??) with the peerless tweeters (holes in center), two 6.5" mids, and the passive 10". All forums seem to call these "monitor" 10a or 10B, but the tag on the back of my speakers clearly says "model" 10 - twice in fact. No mention of "Monitor" nor 10A or 10B and serial number is numbers only. My first question is what are the specs on this speaker? I can only find spec s on the "monitor" 10B online. While the cab is laid out the same, obviously different tweeters and potentially higher grade drivers if built much later. Second question, rough idea of value - as compared to a 10A or 10B? thanks in advance for anyone knowledgeable on this subject!

Update 0 added pic g2biityvjk24.jpg

Comments

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    First question: what color are the baskets for the mids and passive? Do the drivers have external gaskets? If the answers are "silver and yes" then you have early first gen 10s, and the MWs/passive are only available used. You'll also have fuses in the crossover cup. Value (I find) is largely based on location more so than the model or vintage.
  • Definitely has fuses in the cup. External gaskets, Basket I "think" is silver. g8vq9nn0kh4p.jpg
  • So assuming this is early gen 10 - what are the specs?
  • FestYboy
    edited November 2017
    Those are super early! The dead giveaway is the Velcro attached grill. That's late 70s era, like 78-9... For a "collector" like me :D they'd be worth a bit more, but again, it's location dependant. As for specs, they'll be similar to the later versions, but the bass extension won't be quite as low... Think 32Hz vs 27Hz (as an example only).
  • Make me an offer I can't refuse LOL. They are going to be for sale. But I'm still curious about the powers specs regardless....
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Get to ebay and buy the mw6500 for sale now. They do not come up very often
  • FestYboy
    You wouldn't like my offer... ;) I tend to find "deals" :p If you're somewhere close to Lancaster PA, PM me with a number, worst I can say is no...
  • FestYboy
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

I'm watching that as we speak, for a 7 that needs one.
  • FestYboy wrote: »
    You wouldn't like my offer... ;) I tend to find "deals" :p If you're somewhere close to Lancaster PA, PM me with a number, worst I can say is no...

Not that far - hour and a half.... keep an eye on your craigslist searches, I'll probably pop up!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    Those are not the first Monitor 10's, they had plain uncoated PR's, yours are coated.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut wrote: »
    Those are not the first Monitor 10's, they had plain uncoated PR's, yours are coated.

PR's?
  • FestYboy
    F1nut wrote: »

True, the very first ones were also 8" I believe and weighted on the back side with washers, but those are hen's teeth anymore... At least I found a set of 9s, that's probably the earliest I'll have in the collection.
  • F1nut
    This is an original Monitor 10. I've never seen one with an 8" PR.

h25w4d0aai9z.jpg

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• FestYboy
    edited November 2017
    I'm probably thinking of the 7s then... I know there was a PR size change in one of the models early on.

Edit: google pics just confirmed it, the earliest 7s had an 8" PR
  • F1nut
    Yep, it was the original Monitor 7 with the 8" PR.

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    FestYboy wrote: »
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

I'm watching that as we speak, for a 7 that needs one.

Yea but you're a speaker w. H o r € let someone else get some.
  • gimpod
    gimpod Posts: 1,793
    edited November 2017
    FestYboy wrote: »
    Besides, it's better than being a $lut, they don't get paid... :p

So true but they ($luts) tend to cost more in the long run!

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” ~ Mark Twain
  • FestYboy
    Only if you're the baby daddy :#
  • I have monitor 10b 250 watts.c2txo3ta359r.jpg
  • F1nut
    Speakers don't have watts, amps do.

President of Club Polk

• Hi, Hoping you all can provide some insight! PSA. I know next to nothing about speakers. I inherited my parent's Polk Monitor 10A in college (12 years ago), put them through the wringer, and love them. Amazingly enough, they've held up great through the abuse I've put them through until I got a kitten... The kitten started climbing on them, and unfortunately, the rubber "cone suspension" (I think that is what it's called) on the top left speaker tore. So... How big of a deal is this? I've been told I can repair them by using some rubber cement on both sides of the tear. Should I do that? Is it worth investing more money to buy metal grills to protect the speakers from the kittens? Thanks for the help!

7jbicwofrtus.jpg
  • F1nut
    Get the MWxxxx model number off the back of the driver, then look on eBay for a replacement.

President of Club Polk

• odcics2
    odcics2 Posts: 305
    Dump the kitty first.