RTiA9 speakers with NAD 7175PE

JohnnysVinyl
JohnnysVinyl Posts: 8
edited November 2017 in Speakers
Just ordered the speakers, they haven't come yet. Just wondering will my NAD 7175PE provide enough power. On paper it's 75w per channel but will burst up to 300w per channel.

If not, please provide some upgrade options that won't break the bank. This setup was supposed to be a budget "audiophile" setup. I'm already in $500 for the turntable and now $1000 for the speakers. Was really hoping I could use the NAD 7175PE for a while until I could afford my next upgrade.

Best Answer

Answers

• Says there's a response but I don't see one...
  • DollarDave
    DollarDave Posts: 2,575
    That particular NAD is their totl receiver for that time. It will put most current day 2 channel receivers to shame in terms of power. Maybe not clarity, but it will put it out in spades. Give it a try, and if it doesn’t rock your boat, add a dedicated amp to its pre outs.
    But, you won’t need to. In my humble opinion, of course.
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    It will drive them, to a degree.

But continuous power output to clipping is still 80wpc with that receiver. You would have to be VERY careful with the volume knob.

Those numbers are also factory spec, from the 80's. I would be shocked if it was still running to spec unless it's been completely gone through recently.

A bigger, more powerful amp will not only drive them better and safer for higher volumes, but low level detail, finesse and soundstage is typically better with an amp that has a lot more headroom.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Upstatemax wrote: »
    It will drive them, to a degree.

But continuous power output to clipping is still 80wpc with that receiver. You would have to be VERY careful with the volume knob.

Those numbers are also factory spec, from the 80's. I would be shocked if it was still running to spec unless it's been completely gone through recently.

A bigger, more powerful amp will not only drive them better and safer for higher volumes, but low level detail, finesse and soundstage is typically better with an amp that has a lot more headroom.

^ THIS ^
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    edited November 2017
    Best way to find out is to give it a try and report back with how it sounds! :)

Worse case scenario you can easily add an external power amp thanks to the NAD's pre outs.
  • JohnnysVinyl
    JohnnysVinyl Posts: 8
    edited December 2017
    Speakers are on their way. Just ordered some new cables with banana plugs.

Been looking on Canuck Audio Mart and Kijiji for power amps and haven't found anything decent in my price range. I've been looking for a vintage beast which is apparently hard to find.

Any suggestions? I'd like to get one for around $500 used.

Edit: Got to add that my wife is very perticular about how things look. So, plopping down a big black box probably won't go over very well.

Current setup, https://imgur.com/gallery/KzbVP
  • jimsvm
    jimsvm Posts: 307
    Buddy of mine has a new set of A9. He was driving with the anthem 5 channel rated at 100 watts. Which is new. 4 hrs of country music at -15 melted the anthem. White smoke and all..
    Rec rm vm30 micro pro 3000 akai 2 channel. ht anthem MTX 5 channel anthem P2 statement anthem 325, 8 channel Martin Logan power amp for 4 ceiling ls900 2 and outdoor polks, 2 JL 110’s subs panasonic 65" plasma lsim 705’s , 706c, L200 and Control 4 garage rig monitor 10s crossovers by VR3, dynamat, RDO-194's, new drivers. psw 111 Pioneer 9040 BDP53fd 100 " screen Nakamichi HD projector, and Panasonic 65” plasma.
  • jimsvm wrote: »
    Buddy of mine has a new set of A9. He was driving with the anthem 5 channel rated at 100 watts. Which is new. 4 hrs of country music at -15 melted the anthem. White smoke and all..

Scary. From the reading I've done and the feedback I've gotten my gut tells me I'll be fine. Just have to use my ears and not crank the volume too much. Should hear some distortion before the receiver actually starts clipping. I'll also keep an eye on the heat of my receiver.

That said, I'm going to start the search for a power amp so that when my wife goes out I can shake the house
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    jimsvm wrote: »

Maybe the Anthem didn't like country music, and decided life was no longer wort it.
  • jimsvm
    jimsvm Posts: 307
    I told the kid this would happen. Especially with the country lol. The Anthem is out for repair, hopefully they warranty it.
    Rec rm vm30 micro pro 3000 akai 2 channel. ht anthem MTX 5 channel anthem P2 statement anthem 325, 8 channel Martin Logan power amp for 4 ceiling ls900 2 and outdoor polks, 2 JL 110’s subs panasonic 65" plasma lsim 705’s , 706c, L200 and Control 4 garage rig monitor 10s crossovers by VR3, dynamat, RDO-194's, new drivers. psw 111 Pioneer 9040 BDP53fd 100 " screen Nakamichi HD projector, and Panasonic 65” plasma.
  • Picked up an Adcom 555II for a good price. I've only listened to a couple songs but am very happy so far.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    That will have no problem driving them. Though the pairing might be a bit on the bright side.
  • I haven't listened to enough music to have an opinion yet really. However my immediate feeling is there's not a lot of bass. Could just be the music I've listened to so far. I don't use any eq and the "loudness" and other "features" of the receiver aren't turned on.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    I haven't listened to enough music to have an opinion yet really. However my immediate feeling is there's not a lot of bass. Could just be the music I've listened to so far. I don't use any eq and the "loudness" and other "features" of the receiver aren't turned on.

Do you have the receiver set to full range ? What are the speaker levels set at ? Should be close to 0.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • My receiver doesn't have any options like that. I turned on the "loudness" feature and it seems to warm things up a bit. Think I just need to mess around with placement and/or room acoustics a bit. I'd like to put the grills on the speakers to try that but my friggin cat will just paw at them.
  • tonyb
    edited December 2017
    Sounds to me like your lacking power then. Did you leave the impedance switch at 8 ohm ? Don't move it to 4.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • I think it was just the music. Listening to Dave Brubeck and it sounds amazing at 100db!
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    Regarding the cat, I put one of these on the wall near my vinyl record storage: https://www.amazon.com/4CLAWS-Wall-Mounted-Scratching-White/dp/B015Y4HVTO/

It stopped him from scratching my records, now he scratches this instead. Cheap and easy solution! Figured it might help you out as well :)
    I'd like to put the grills on the speakers to try that but my friggin cat will just paw at them.

• tonyb
    I think it was just the music. Listening to Dave Brubeck and it sounds amazing at 100db!

Yeah well, your pushing the limits with those speakers and the Nad, tread carefully, least you like spending money to fix things.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    He's using an Adcom GFA-555II. 100dB is no problem with that pairing.
  • tonyb
    DaveHo wrote: »

Yeah, missed the amp part. lol
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    nbrowser wrote: »
    tonyb wrote: »
    DaveHo wrote: »

Yeah, missed the amp part. lol

Signs your getting old. :wink:

LOL, yeah, those signs have been there for 20 years, Only it's getting hard to hide 'em anymore. Still not senile like some people who walk around with a parrot on their shoulder going "AAAARGH". :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's