Guidance on Resale of Polk RT5000 System

Hey guys, I'm looking for some feedback here and appreciate any guidance. I got a killer deal on a complete RT5000 set and everything sounded fantastic when I demo'd it, but since then, it sounds like a driver on each of the RT3000P subs has broken. I'm not sure what happened as I barely used them over that time. However, I do really like the RT3000 bookshelf speakers so I am considering keeping them and just piecing out the center and surrounds as they're too large for my current residence, unfortunately.

So, my question is, do you think it's worth having the subs fixed to be resold so I can sell the whole package or should I piece out what's still working? Also, is there much of a market for the RT3000 bookshelves sans subs?

Thanks!

Comments

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    where do you live?
    Maybe a local person can help in the decision making process.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Northern Virginia, about 30 miles west of DC.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    There's a lot of Polk Audio fans up your way. maybe some will chime in with opinions on what you should do if it was them.

Good luck .
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    The subs or amp may need work. Give Miller Sound a call. Bill is a straight shooter and will do you right.
  • DaveHo wrote: »
    The subs or amp may need work. Give Miller Sound a call. Bill is a straight shooter and will do you right.

Awesome, thanks, I'll do that!
    Tony M wrote: »
    There's a lot of Polk Audio fans up your way. maybe some will chime in with opinions on what you should do if it was them.

Good luck .

Appreciate the help!

• I will take the fx1000 off your hands if you break up the set
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Nope, that's not how things are done here. A seller must have 100 posts before they can sell anything and it must be listed in the Classifieds.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    It may or may not be cost effective to repair then sell. It really depends on your area. The sub drivers are not really available. They show up on ebay from time to time but that has slowed waay down. I would try to sell then as is and give the seller info to the repair person and this forum. Then, pick up something nice and smaller. Maybe the Polk Signature line?
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • civilian
    civilian Posts: 357
    If you had someone local that could fix them for a reasonable price then it might be worth it. I paid to ship both of mine to be repaired, but that was because this is the set of speakers I chased for years and have used for years.
    There is a one of the subs posted on eBay Polk model# MW8500. These are getting harder to come by.
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • dpowell
    dpowell Posts: 3,050
    It may be the power caps on the subwoofers have gone bad that is causing the problem. It's a well-known issue and happened to the subs on the pair of RT3000's I owned back in the day. Order the replacement caps from Polk customer service and have them professionally replaced. That solves the majority of RT3000 subwoofer problems.

Those RT3000 bookshelf speakers are sealed and not worth much without the subs. The RT55's were the ported bookshelf version and are a much better sounding speaker in a stand-alone configuration.

It would be a shame to break up the RT5000 system. If you ever think you'll have the room to set up the FX1000's and CS1000p, hang on to them because getting them back will not be easy.

Hopefully you stick around the forum. You'll find lots of great info and people willing to share.
    ____________________________________________________________ polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS SVS PB13 Ultra x 2Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Sunfire Signature Cinema Grande 400, ADCOM 7807, Panasonic UB420, Sony SCD-C333ES, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • Coming in late. If you still need to resolve, this may help. I had problems w/ subs on RT3000's first one and a year or two later, the other. Used a firm in Chicago area iirc via e-bay. Great folks to deal with, whole process was smooth, and repairs are working to this day. They also have details on how to make a protective enclosure and ship them safely. This is key since a vintage item. I had them upgrade some parts so shouldn't be an issue in the future.

They have nothing up currently, but as I remember they take time off every so often. Details follow. GL

Seller Name: electronetix
    Old Listing : https://www.ebay.com/itm/Polk-RT3000p-Powered-Subwoofer-Amplifier-Plate-Repair-Service-/262285993254
  • civilian
    civilian Posts: 357
    electronetix is who I used. just fyi
  • WLDock