Help me choose HT receiver

I currently have a Marantz SR6004 which I picked up used for cheap a couple years ago. It is starting to act up on me so I am looking for a new one.

As a family we are starting to use the HT much more, so I think I'd like to go with a new one.

Seems like Accessories4Less is the place for good deals? All of the options are making my head spin, however.

$500 is the maximum budget (if lower even better)
At least 7 channels
Pre-outs (as I have a 3 channel Rotel amp for the front stage)

Other than that I don't really know what else I need.

I was looking at something like this?

80% off MSRP -- Integra DTR-70.3 (9 channel)
https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/intdtr703/integra-dtr-70.3-9.2-ch-x-140-watts-thx-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html#!more

Please help...
Thanks,
Paul
2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A

Comments

• rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Quick glance at spec page I see one issue that could present an issue. The HDMI supports 1.4 and not 2.0.

You may not think this an issue, but I would disagree. Looking at A4L site I would pec omens upping your budget by $50 and get the Yamaha RX-A860. Has pre-outs, so you can run your amp. Has HDCP 2.2 and HBMI 2.0, so can play the newer formats.

Slightly over you budget, but think that alone is worth the extra $50.
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,307
    As stated above, get hdmi 2.0. I also would want 7.1 pre outs AND inputs. I've always had good luck with Pioneer and Yamaha.
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Good info guys. Hdmi2.0

Is room correction software that big of a deal? My current Marantz has Audyssey, but it would overheat the unit, so I only used it to set distances...never was able to actually use it for it's intended purpose.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • rpf65
    Some room correction programs are better than others. All of them are better than most people could do by themselves.

• That’s interesting my old Onkyo 705 would overheat with audyssey. I would definitely go with a Yamaha Aventage. I purchased a refurbished A1010 from AC4L several years ago and it’s never acted up, gotten warm... just works and sounds great. I use the YPAO eq too and it makes a positive difference.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • hochpt21
    I will definitely look hard at the Yamaha Aventages...
  • It seems the prices on AC4L have gone up. My the RX A10xx is about $150 more than what I paid roughly 4 years ago.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    HDMI 2.0, HDCP 2.2, and preouts. Those matter, then look at secondary features you want
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • hochpt21
  • EndersShadow
    Yup, it does indeed.

Looks like very much a winner.....
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • hochpt21
    HDMI 2.0, HDCP 2.2, and preouts. Those matter, then look at secondary features you want

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamtsr7790bl/yamaha-tsr-7790-7.2-x-95-watts-a/v-receiver-same-as-rx-v779/1.html#!specifications

What about this one? $300 bones??
  • EndersShadow
    hochpt21 wrote: »

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamtsr7790bl/yamaha-tsr-7790-7.2-x-95-watts-a/v-receiver-same-as-rx-v779/1.html#!specifications

What about this one? $300 bones??

I like Audyssey over YPAO myself, and the Marantz has more HDMI inputs......

Beyond that, I like Marantz over Yamaha...... other than that.... eh....
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    I would go Marantz or Denon urrently in the below $1K market. They are very similar internally now in the same price range and they have both been clearing out recent models for models with only minor updates. A Denon refurb is availabke from a couple places here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B01HL8KYAY/ref=dp_olp_all_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=all
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    I would bet the Denon X3300 over the Marantz SR5011 if they are the same cost. The Denon comes with Audyssey XT32 while the Marantz only has XT.

I have two SR5010 and like them a lot but it did take a lot of time getting them dialed in.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • hochpt21
    Seems like these are some solid options...

Marantz SR5011 - $450
    Denon AVR-X3300W - $480
    Yamaha RX-A860 - $550
  • Maybe there will be some cyber Monday deals as well.
  • hochpt21
    @EndersShadow

Dan, do you have any insight into whether the overheating Audyssey problem in my Marantz is random or is it known with those units.

The Marantz I listed above seems like a really good option, just a little gun shy with the issues my current unit has.
  • mrloren
    I've had my SR5010 for over a year and never had an Audyssey over heating problem.

Of your options I like the Denon X3300. Audyssey XT 32 is better than XT.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • EndersShadow
    edited November 2017
    @EndersShadow

Dan, do you have any insight into whether the overheating Audyssey problem in my Marantz is random or is it known with those units.

The Marantz I listed above seems like a really good option, just a little gun shy with the issues my current unit has.

I've not heard of it happening to anyone else...

That said, because of HDMI heat issues in general (killed my Integra 3x) I bought this little fella for 70 bucks and its been keeping my Denon X4100 nice and cool for a year or so...

I plan to buy the S9 (same size and speed, just shoots air straight up rather than out the back) for my B&K 200.5 just because..
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    edited November 2017
    I wouldn’t imagine you would have the same issue again. I will tell you though it’s not hard to justify a little more money for piece of mind. As I mentioned I had problems with the Onkyo 705 overheating and replaced it with a brand new Onkyo 717 reading all the hdmi and heat issues have been resolved. It had all of the features I wanted and fit the budget. The AVR was nice and didnt get warm, but I found myself always checking. Then one day I decided to utilize the analog inputs to test the DAC in my CD player and the AVR became warm to the touch. Switching back to digital the 717 was still warmer than normal. I reset the AVR and all was good back to running cool. However I never felt like it was going to be reliable long term. I kept it about a year and then sold it, making the switch to the Yamaha Aventage. The difference in functionality was night and day. There was no buggy UI no lag at all with network function DLNA with jriver worked effortlessly. The Aventage just doesn’t do anything weird, it never gets warm, ever and it sounds really good. A very clean and clear sound with lots of detail. The Onkyo by comparison had a fuller sound and maybe more dynamic but lacked much of the presence the Yamaha brings.

I’m sure they Denon and Marantz are great and reliable, but for me, I am so pleased with the Yamaha, that when it came time to purchase a new integrated for the two channel Yamaha was my first consideration and again have not been disappointed whatsoever with the A-S801.
  • mrloren
    My old Sony ES tossed off on me just shut down and through an error code on the display. Turned out to be an overheat code. I was still under warranty and Sony was nice enough to replace it for free. I went to Cooler Guys https://www.coolerguys.com/collections/cabinet-cooling and added a cabinet fan setup with a temp probe. I have one setup in my new stand. no heat issues at all.
  • rpf65
    Haven't heard many instances of Marantz, Denon, or Yamaha heat issues. Give them room to breath, and you should be alright with any of them.

As far as speaker calibration programs, YPAO and Audyssey are about the same. Ive used YPAO more than Audyssey, so I think it's easier to tweek. Funny how fans of whichever calibration program they think is better end by saying "when I finally got it dialed in, it was unbelievable. None of them are perfect, and everybody, at least on sites like this, never run whatever results the program comes up with.

We all change something, even if it's speaker size. Those programs are base lines, and the better ones allow you to preform more adjustments. Probably the biggest difference between the, with the exception of AccueEQ. Still don't think it calibrates the front two speakers, so that is a definite deal breaker for me.

You're going to use an amp for the front three, so any of the AVRs you mentioned shouldn't have a problem driving the surrounds. Not uncommon for people to say my Denon, Marantz, or Yamaha has served me faithfully for 7 to 10 years without an issue. So build quality shouldn't really be a concern.

If you prefer one brand over the other, that's the one to go with. If price is the biggest concern, the Marantz is a no brainier. Bells and whistles, I may never figure out all the things my Yamaha Aventage is capable of doing. Denon has more bells and whistles than the Marantz, and a more advanced version of Audyssey, but you'll still end up tweeting it.

I would base my decision in this order:

Manufacturer, if you have a preference or are an all out fanboy. Nothing wrong with being a fanboy of good gear.

Bells and whistles. You never know what stupid sounding thing that some manufacturer jams into their software will be the I love this crappy thing next year.

Price. A hundred dollars may seem like a lot, and you may be trying to be a disciplined audio buyer, who was dumb enough to ask advice on a site where the biggest hobby is spending other people's money, but remember it is Christmas. You deserve a decent present, from at least yourself.
  • hochpt21
    rpf65 wrote: »
    Haven't heard many instances of Marantz, Denon, or Yamaha heat issues. Give them room to breath, and you should be alright with any of them.

As far as speaker calibration programs, YPAO and Audyssey are about the same. Ive used YPAO more than Audyssey, so I think it's easier to tweek. Funny how fans of whichever calibration program they think is better end by saying "when I finally got it dialed in, it was unbelievable. None of them are perfect, and everybody, at least on sites like this, never run whatever results the program comes up with.

We all change something, even if it's speaker size. Those programs are base lines, and the better ones allow you to preform more adjustments. Probably the biggest difference between the, with the exception of AccueEQ. Still don't think it calibrates the front two speakers, so that is a definite deal breaker for me.

You're going to use an amp for the front three, so any of the AVRs you mentioned shouldn't have a problem driving the surrounds. Not uncommon for people to say my Denon, Marantz, or Yamaha has served me faithfully for 7 to 10 years without an issue. So build quality shouldn't really be a concern.

If you prefer one brand over the other, that's the one to go with. If price is the biggest concern, the Marantz is a no brainier. Bells and whistles, I may never figure out all the things my Yamaha Aventage is capable of doing. Denon has more bells and whistles than the Marantz, and a more advanced version of Audyssey, but you'll still end up tweeting it.

I would base my decision in this order:

Manufacturer, if you have a preference or are an all out fanboy. Nothing wrong with being a fanboy of good gear.

Bells and whistles. You never know what stupid sounding thing that some manufacturer jams into their software will be the I love this crappy thing next year.

Price. A hundred dollars may seem like a lot, and you may be trying to be a disciplined audio buyer, who was dumb enough to ask advice on a site where the biggest hobby is spending other people's money, but remember it is Christmas. You deserve a decent present, from at least yourself.

Like x 2....thanks for your thoughts and time. Much appreciated...
  • hochpt21
    @mrloren @jeremymarcinko @EndersShadow

Very much appreciate your guys' feedback and opinions...
  • @hochpt21: what did you end up buying finally?
    RTiA5 + CSiA4 + Jamo SW410E
    Yamaha TSR-700 (equivalent to RX V6A)
    No surround...yet
  • hochpt21
    @French_guy

Nothing yet. My current receiver still works for all devices except for the Roku, so I'm watching Netflix through the Dish Network receiver. I am missing out on Hulu and Amazon Prime, though.

I am slow to pull the trigger as I was saving those audio funds towards a new turntable or preamp in my main rig, but sooner or later I'll have to do it.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    I will definitely look hard at the Yamaha Aventages...

I got one for sale if you’re interested ;-)
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • hochpt21
    Just pulled the trigger on the Denon 3300...
  • Let us know how you like it.....
    Did you purchase at A4L?
    RTiA5 + CSiA4 + Jamo SW410E
    Yamaha TSR-700 (equivalent to RX V6A)
    No surround...yet
  • hochpt21
    Yes, set to arrive today.