Will S60/S35 combination overpower S10 surround speakers?

Options
I have been looking at getting a pair of S60 tower speakers along with an S35 center speaker and a pair of S10's to mount for rear surround. This would be for an eventual 5.1 speaker setup and I would be adding a sub later.

My primary use will be for home theater, but I do also want something that sounds really nice when playing CD's or streaming FLAC audio through an OPPO 205. My main question is whether the S60/S35 combination is going to overpower the surround speakers for home theater.

I don't have exact measurements of the room at the moment, but it is a long rectangular shaped room, but only about half of it is used for viewing the TV. There are a few support beams in the middle of the room that divide it in half, so there is unused space behind me.

I attached a VERY rough sketch of the setup, with the 5 speakers highlighted in red.

tls5zfj6ckmu.jpg
Does anyone have any advice. Are these speakers overkill for what I am trying to do, or will it be ok? Thanks!

Comments

• cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Options
    There is no such thing as overkill, and once you calibrate all of your speakers you will have one rockin system!

What do you plan to use for a receiver/power? If it is a receiver, make sure you get one with preouts to add separate amp to make sure your speakers operate to their full potential later on.

You are on your way to having a great system. Welcome to Club Polk!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Hello and welcome to Polk :)

Yes that setup will be great. S10's are made to be surround speakers. Surrounds are for effects and don't need to be as big as the front speakers. Just make sure they are either to the side or behind you listening area.

Music is mostly 2ch, S60 are a beast in that arena.

Subs, look at either HSU or SVS remember two is better than one.

What AVR are you using to power these? If you're looking for one Denon "X" series, Marantz or Yamaha is the way to go.

Welcome to club Polk and watch your wallet, we love to spend other people's money.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • CubsWin
    Options
    cfrizz wrote: »
    What do you plan to use for a receiver/power? If it is a receiver, make sure you get one with preouts to add separate amp to make sure your speakers operate to their full potential later on.
    mrloren wrote: »
    Hello and welcome to Polk :)What AVR are you using to power these? If you're looking for one Denon "X" series, Marantz or Yamaha is the way to go.

Thank you for your replies.

My current receiver is a Yamaha RX-V663, which does have pre outs, but I may replace it in the near future to get something with 4K passthrough.
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    Options
    In a word, no.

Your AVR will allow you to set/balance the respective channel volume's.

Welcome to Club Polk
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • CubsWin
    CubsWin Posts: 4
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I ordered the S60's and S10's, and ended up going with S30 instead of S35 for the center channel.

I will likely be buying a Yamaha A1070 in the near future and bi-amping the S60's. I'm still holding off on the sub for now, but will probably end up getting something along the lines of an SVS SB-1000 or SB-2000 next year.

Is there anything I'm missing or anything in particular I should be aware of with this setup?

Thanks!
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Options
    CubsWin wrote: »
    I ordered the S60's and S10's, and ended up going with S30 instead of S35 for the center channel.

I will likely be buying a Yamaha A1070 in the near future and bi-amping the S60's. I'm still holding off on the sub for now, but will probably end up getting something along the lines of an SVS SB-1000 or SB-2000 next year.

Is there anything I'm missing or anything in particular I should be aware of with this setup?

Thanks!

You'll have a nice setup! Get yourself some decent speaker wire/cables. There's no need to bi-amp. Just ignore that "feature." Of course, if you're determined to find out for yourself, you can try it. If you have questions, read up on some of the older threads here.

I've heard both S30 and S35, and can't decide which I like better. Enjoy!
  • mrloren
    Options
    CubsWin wrote: »

Thanks!

Please DONOT bi-amp with and AVR. There is only one power supply in the AVR for everything. Bi-Amping will do you no good. You're welcome to try if you like.

Go to Doug http://douglasconnection.com/Raw-Speaker-Cable_c33.htm get some Furez 10 or 12awg cable.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • CubsWin
    Options
    If I was going to add a separate 2-channel amp to the A1070 for my S60's, what would people recommend?
  • mrloren
    Options
    I have an Emotiva driving my S60 very nice. It is all I could afford. If funding permits Parasound would be nice to have on these
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Options
    I would replace the stock jumper plate with good quality speaker wire, skip the big-amping idea, and see how that sounds to you, after calibration of course.

Worry about an amp later, after you read up on the subject. I would recommend a good sub before an amp. Power conditioner a must have item.