Anyone have an IC cable for the very first gen SDA speakers?

rockdr07
rockdr07 Posts: 5
edited November 2017 in Vintage Speakers
zw5bb7ce1jy7.jpg

Or,

Please route me to a thread that gives detail on how to create a replacement for this model.

Thanks very much!

larry
Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Answers

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Do a search for Speakon.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut

Thanks very much, however,

Speakon posts do not seem to address these cable ends, mostly talk pin/blade or blade/ blade - - and actually, i could not access most of the pictures posted in the older posts.

Is there schematic available showing what is actually linked to each of the pins (if anything?) for these earlier SDA's? Or, are the pins for stability and the info goes in the hole?!!

FYI - -even the very nice SDA handbook 2011 rev 3 doesn't seem to even address these earlier speakers with the horizontal tweeters and the vent port??!

(However, they show an IC that looks like an upside down version of this one, but never provide any details...)

Thanks

larry
  • F1nut
    Neutrik SpeakOn has the sockets and cable terminals. Open your speakers, you should find 2 wires connected to your socket. One will be positive, the other negative. You would make the same connections to the SpeakOn socket. When you make the cable connect the + and - to the corresponding + and - on the sockets.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,478
    Those are going to be just like the Blade/blade 2nd generation cable. Both are active. Get inside look at the wires going to them. The wires switch on the inside so both speakers will be opposite of each other. The cable will be positive to positive and negative to negative. You will need to do both cabinet in speakon as well as cable

Do one at a time take pictures
  • gimpod
    gimpod Posts: 1,793
    Welcome to the money pit? (Club Polk & SDAs) and what a great question. What you have there is what Polk called a 3 prong RTA 12 type SDA interface connector and was used on the very first SDA 1 & 2 transitional models.

Where to get one, I doubt if you could as there no longer being made, I have no idea of a replacement connector or where to get one. Like @F1nut said use a Speakon connector. Just be warned the connector at the speakers most likely use only 2 wires connected to the pins and are wired opposite from one another so make note of what wire goes where, the cable between the speakers should be 2 conductor wired straight through (do not cross them).

Hope this helps.
    “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” ~ Mark Twain
  • Thanks very much you guys.

I'm probably not going to tear into them right away, but if I understand what you are saying they are internally switched. So, if I can make up a positive & negative speaker wire that is referenced to the back of each speaker, find appropriate sized female connectors for the pins, I should then be able to connect them "positive" to say the left side pins, "negative" to the other side and have the SDA effect working? (i.e. don't cross up the wire externally)...

AND, not have any bad effects on amplifier or speaker?!!

Once again, thanks for your patience and mentoring!

Larry

• F1nut
    Larry, the only way for you to know which pin is which is to open them up.

President of Club Polk

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    MCM might still have that connector available....
  • @ F1nut
    I'm not as knowledgeable as you guys, but that doesn't seem to make sense...why would Polk switch the terminals from speaker to speaker on the OUTSIDE?

If not switched on the outside..., each wire on a two wire external cable would just have to go to the same pin on the other speaker wouldn't it?

@ FestYboy
    Who or What is MCM?

Larry
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    edited November 2017
    This question shows up, infrequently. Here's another thread.

I suspect doing a small surgery/adding Speakon sockets and making a Speakon-using cable is your best bet.

Doro's "Holy crap, you're screwed" comment in that thread came before the advent of using Speakon as a solution. You'd still be challenged due to your connector going through the speaker cabinet--when I did similar to my SDAs I was given an easier time due to the fact that the connector was through the thin plastic of my terminal cup.
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    MCM is an electronics supplier
  • Just an FYI to all...the pins are even smaller than an XLR ...will make up some new cables and matching ends and receptacles later this fall and will report back!