Rogue Audio

Anyone here have any experience with Rouge Audio? I recently picked up a new Ares phono preamp from them, and this thing is a killer piece. Huge external power supply, a boat load of dip switches, full of Mundorf caps, cardas wiring, and 4 tubes peaking out the top cover. I tried so hard to break the unit in with the stock JJ tubes, which were actually not bad. In the end my itchy tube rolling finger Loaded it up with some Valvo Hamburg tubes, to say I’m blown away would be an understatement! This thing is quiet, with soundstage for kms!
2 channel:
Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
Theater:
Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

Comments

• mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    jp8ilrkbwf9a.jpeg

Hate the cage cover, so with in minutes of being out of the box, the cover came off, dynamat on the lid, and removed the ugly cage.

2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• mikeyb128
    20wuaemhaxo5.jpeg
    That’s better!
    lup0ytco14zc.jpeg
    Easy access cover for loading, and gain. Also comes with a pair of cinemag red step up transformers.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• mikeyb128
    edited November 2017
    Not sure why this is upside down?

This thing crushes the Minimax phono I had, not as handsome, but The simple look is growing on me. And it sounds fantastic!
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• mikeyb128
    p1b083zfzvkx.jpeg

Picked up this beauty, the Dynavector XX2 MKII. Now this is good sound. Absolutely kills my digital front end. And I have easily 6grand invested in DAC and streamer.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    edited November 2017
    A Rogue Audio 66 Magnum Preamp was my first dedicated Tube Preamp, I've been hooked ever since. I currently have a pair of their M-180 Monoblocks and have had a Perseus Preamp in the past also.

I've had an Ares for well over three years, had Rogue upgrade it to the "Magnum" version this past Summer, it is spectacular in every sense.

I've tried two different so called "Giant Killer" Tubed Phono Preamps and they paled in comparison to the Ares, both units were sold or where returned.

If you change out the 12AU7's with a pair of 12AT7's, you will pick a little extra gain. I've got some Mullard AT7's in mine and it's Heavenly. Holographic, 3D Stage that just envelopes you.

btw, I think Rogue voiced the Ares around your Dyna's Cartridge, or the 20x2... N'joy!!!

• mikeyb128
    edited November 2017
    This XX2 and Ares is heavenly! At this point I can’t imagine it sounding any better. I will be sending this away for the magnum upgrade sometime next year.

I think it’s very cool that you can swap the AU7 for an AT7 or AX7. I ended up dumping the minimax due to the fact it didn’t have enough gain for the XX2.

@Mike Reeter could I ask what was gained in terms of sound quality with the magnum upgrade?
    Post edited by mikeyb128 on
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• Mike Reeter
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    This XX2 and Ares is heavenly! At this point I can’t imagine it sounding any better. I will be sending this away for the magnum upgrade sometime next year.

I think it’s very cool that you can swap the AU7 for an AT7 or AU7. I ended up dumping the minimax due to the fact it didn’t have enough gain for the XX2.

@Mike Reeter could I ask what was gained in terms of sound quality with the magnum upgrade?

Basically, more of everything. The most notable change is the upgraded Blue Cinemags, they produce another 10 dB of gain in the MC settings, and the Blues just sound better. Upgraded RCA connections, upgraded Caps/Resistors and some new internal wiring in spots, I think maybe Cardas, but don't quote me. It took a while for all the "new" stuff to run in, but when it did, whoa...very detailed, yet Smooth as Buttah.

In the meantime, roll in a pair of AT7's if you haven't already, they're cheap and plentiful!
  • mikeyb128

I think it’s very cool that you can swap the AU7 for an AT7 or AU7. I ended up dumping the minimax due to the fact it didn’t have enough gain for the XX2.

Basically, more of everything. The most notable change is the upgraded Blue Cinemags, they produce another 10 dB of gain in the MC settings, and the Blues just sound better. Upgraded RCA connections, upgraded Caps/Resistors and some new internal wiring in spots, I think maybe Cardas, but don't quote me. It took a while for all the "new" stuff to run in, but when it did, whoa...very detailed, yet Smooth as Buttah.

In the meantime, roll in a pair of AT7's if you haven't already, they're cheap and plentiful!

Thank Mike, this thing is already smooth as Buttah! Will try out some AT7’s. These valvo Hamburg’s are sounding super sweet! I bought them and haven’t tried them, Was saving them for something special.
    nbrowser wrote: »
    I always knew you'd turn rogue on us...congrats!

Playing brother in arms for ya Ken!
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• Mike Reeter
    I always knew you'd turn rogue on us...congrats!

Playing brother in arms for ya Ken!

Should hear it from SACD on the SDAs...absolutely awesome.

Should hear it from Vinyl on the SDA's...beyond absolutely awesome ;)
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    Nice move, Mike! Setup's looking great!
    Mike R - that Magnum upgrade sounds fantastic. I just saw a photo of your setup in another recent post on another thread - another beautiful one.

Without the tube cage, my first thought...

5v8wp6ano114.gif
    I disabled signatures.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    66 Magnum pre and M-120 mono blocks in my posession. Love 'em.
  • dkfreebird
    dkfreebird Posts: 1,180
    Shut up Russ. Sorry always wanted to say that. :#
    2 Channel
    Polk 1.2tl's Modded with dreadnought
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Auralic Aries Mini Streamer
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC
    Wireworld Equinox 7 interconnects
    Wireworld Equinox 7 Speaker Cables and Jumpers

Backups 2.3tl, Crs+ pin/blade with stands.Monitor 5 peerless,Monitor 4 peerless,Polk R200,McCormack Dna 0.5 Deluxe McCormack Dna 1,Dared Sl 2000A,Dayens Ampino Rogue Magnum 66 pre
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    lightman1 wrote: »

Now if only you had someone to connect power to your double-wide...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,640

Talk to PFB, the dubba wide expert...

clup4rbfx3ih.jpg
  • lightman1

I'm still homeless....have some sympathy.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517

I'm still homeless....have some sympathy.

Anytime your in Indy, my home is yours.... and I know the same is true elsewhere.... so you will never be truly be homeless :smile:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    edited November 2017
    I had a couple of Rogue pres back in the day, the Metis and the Perseus.

Loved them.

Moved to Cary but I never got a chance to move up the Rogue ladder. Maybe some day.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    I have no experience with Rogue pre amps. However, I'm Jones-ing a little to hear their latest offering ... the RP-7.
    No reviews, nothing that I can find online

I think Mr. Reeter and I agree that the M-180 monos are powerhouses wrt $$ spent vs power/reserves/SQ/soundstage. Well built and reliable machines, imho

I wish my Cary SLP-98 had XLR connectivity. That's my motivation for the interest in the RP-7, plus I'm sure it mates very well with the M180s
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    I've had a Rogue Super Magnum Model 99 with a phono preamp in my system for about 8 years. I love the sound of this pre-amp. It's been back to Rogue for a board refresh, several upgrades and minor repairs. Rogue owner Mark O'Brien is first class as is the personal service. Their products are top quality and build.

The nice thing about the Model 99 is that it uses the 6SN7 tubes. These tubes are plentiful and cheap. You can hear some real differences by rolling tubes. The RCA 5692s are the best sounding tubes for my ears.
    Carl

• dkfreebird
    I just picked up a Rogue Magnum 66 and am stunned at the jump from my Dared Sl 2000a. I can’t wait to try different tubes in it .
    2 Channel
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC

Backups 2.3tl, Crs+ pin/blade with stands.Monitor 5 peerless,Monitor 4 peerless,Polk R200,McCormack Dna 0.5 Deluxe McCormack Dna 1,Dared Sl 2000A,Dayens Ampino Rogue Magnum 66 pre
  • lightman1
    dkfreebird wrote: »
    I just picked up a Rogue Magnum 66 and am stunned at the jump from my Dared Sl 2000a. I can’t wait to try different tubes in it .

Welcome to the Rogue club, Dennis!!

I have trees around mine!
  • EndersShadow

So..... you've got wood nearby huh...
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • lightman1

Indeed! You babysat the monos. You cried when I took them back.
  • dkfreebird

I have trees around mine![/quote]

Me too! :D9ognkaotdiid.jpeg
    2 Channel
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC

• EndersShadow

Indeed! You babysat the monos. You cried when I took them back.

I still cry.... every night..... until I eventually become so exhausted I curl up into the fetal position and fall into a coma like sleep
  • lightman1
    Atta boy, Dennis!

Suck it up, Dan!
  • Faustin
    Faustin Posts: 1,149
    Currently using a Rogue Cronus Magnum II in one of my setups. It replaced a Silk Audio MC-100 integrated amp. HUGE jump up in sound and performance.
  • Mike Reeter
    edited November 2017
    Faustin wrote: »
    Currently using a Rogue Cronus Magnum II in one of my setups. It replaced a Silk Audio MC-100 integrated amp. HUGE jump up in sound and performance.

I also owned the Cronus Magnum for over three years, the Cronus has got to be one of "Audio's Best Values".

Roll in some Vintage Glass and this thing will kick your A-Double S.

• mikeyb128
    Really toying with the idea of buying one of these:
    http://www.rogueaudio.com/Products_Atlas_Magnum.htm

2 channel:
    Theater: