Infinite Baffle

Comments

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    VR3 wrote: »
    Ive been checking used sites off and on and finally nabbed a pair of 18" IB13 FI subwoofer drivers for $295 a pair (local pick up-how lucky??)

... now to find an XTI2000 amplifier... badass sub for like $550?? cant beat it!

I think your MONSTER sub would be better, and look like furniture to boot... but thats neither here nor there :smile:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,968
    yeah but one takes up 0% floor space and the other takes up like 1,000% floor space lol
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Here are the pics of Matt's install
    8w5vba4fjjzf.jpg
    bm4d6ph6qu86.jpg
    50z2l1tcd2n1.jpg
    y5vrrnp6o84o.jpg
    23yqbfuqag1w.jpg
    x0ymbbtknf4g.jpg

Holy cow!!! That looks awesome! How's the ceiling deal with the piston motion of the air slug in the box?
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    He hasn't had any issues so far. His parents who live next door thought an earthquake was happening.
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • FestYboy
    I think that is YOUR thumb @lightman1

axws3nkl7okz.jpg
    ltxte971y5so.jpg
    adqomi88nkzd.jpg

Is it me, or does the box have 3 different size drivers? What kind of configuration is that?
  • EndersShadow
    FestYboy wrote: »
    Is it me, or does the box have 3 different size drivers? What kind of configuration is that?

That was a box built with a design similar to a VMPS Larger sub using higher excursion TC Sounds LMSR drivers.

The Larger used a active 15 & 18" driver with a 18" passive on the floor that acts like a port.

Here is the sub it was eventually going to look like...

sublarg.jpg
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • FestYboy
    Interesting. According to convention, the passive should have at least 1.5x the pistonic volume capacity of the active driver. But in that box, there are 2 active drivers, one being the same size of the passive, which would suggest that the passive could potentially be pushed past it's x-max. I would have thought that only the 15 would have been active...
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    I think that is YOUR thumb @lightman1

Another pics of Russ' sucking thumb... :s:s:s
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • EndersShadow
    Interesting. According to convention, the passive should have at least 1.5x the pistonic volume capacity of the active driver. But in that box, there are 2 active drivers, one being the same size of the passive, which would suggest that the passive could potentially be pushed past it's x-max. I would have thought that only the 15 would have been active...

Yup... but only Trey, Tom and Russ know how it sounded as they all heard it before it was sold off for parts...

From my understanding it was bucking Russ off it and thrashing around the floor like a bucking bull with only 1k of wattage from a Pro amp lol....
  • VR3
    The passive was an 18", actives were a 12 and 15 and that sub was just stupid nuts
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • FestYboy
    Makes me want to recreate that box!!! I like a good ruckus :D
  • VR3
    XTI2000 should be next week some time... so far have about $600 in this configuration... not bad at all considering the performance people talk about.

Will be very hard to not cut some holes in the floor very soon!
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,010
    Very nice. Where did you decide to mount the subs? Floor, ceiling or wall?
  • VR3
    So I did a "bass walk" and the location I plan to put the hole is the left front corner of the room in the floor. I think this will provide the best bass response.
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    So I did a "bass walk" and the location I plan to put the hole is the left front corner of the room in the floor. I think this will provide the best bass response.

Waaaaahhhhhhh.....in the floor?! :a
    Remember, when cutting, ask yourself, "what would Wile E. Coyote do?"
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230

Is the listening position still almost directly in front of the front door, about 4-5' out from the door?

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • VR3
    For Music, yes. For movies and such, will be left corner, left of door
  • VR3
    If I find another pair of fi drivers used, i could see adding another pair in the future
  • EndersShadow
    If I find another pair of fi drivers used, i could see adding another pair in the future

All the bass!!!!! I want ALL THE BASS!!!!!
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860

2 IB drivers will only equal 1 single box driver. I think that you will be underwhelmed unless you have heard one before. The bass is cleaner, smoother, and deeper but will lack impact and the heft/mass that a huge box sub delivers. You will reach Xmax with very little power applied and thus headroom will suffer. I would make the manifold to accept another pair easily or plan for a second one in the other corner.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • VR3
    Honestly the Mezzo Utopia has it covered down to about 30hz... I really don't even need a subwoofer for (most) music.

What I am really hoping for is the low end extension and a little bit of reinforcement above 30hz. My room is also not tooooo huge, 22'x16'x8'
  • VR3
    Bring the bass!yu3cpxabkuqr.jpgnswpn22wx71x.jpg

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    3" excursion -vs- direct servo...

Game. Set. Match, behaucth.

The end result will be what it is. Infinite baffle versus Direct servo.

Who will win?

Let your ears decide....

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    Nice looking pooches, is the brindle a Plott?
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • VR3
    thank you sir! All mut, both of them. The brindle from what I can tell is a boxer/pit bull mix.
  • You are going to love an IB. Have heard several. Not sure why, but have seemed to integrate and call less attention to themselves with music yet call plenty of attention to themselves with movies
  • EndersShadow
    Sooooooo...........................

@VR3
  • VR3
    Lifes been busy man, I'm like the little engine that could :)
  • VR3
    Getting closerxo0cvrc2jqj0.jpg211unw4xfcbz.jpg

• VR3
    Guys, you undersold the crap out of this idea

I am simply blown away what two of these freaking woofers can do. I thought I needed more and actually acquired 6 of them but I am just going to do 4, two per side of the room

The quality and extension of the bass is absolutely stupid

Jeez