my LSI M703 review.

so i have had these for several months now. people say the need allot of break in time and they do.. when i first got them they sounded dead hand 0 bass and sounded very disappointing so i left them playing 24 hours a day . after a few hours they started to sound nice. after a few days they started sounding really good. now they sound great.

first off bass, this is the first set of speakers where i have not used a sub, people think i am using my sub but its not even plugged into the wall.... these have awesome bass if you get the placed in your room correctly.. room placement is very critical to get good bass in your listening area.....

they are very natural sousing speakers. if i close my eyes i can almost imagine i am in the room with the band, if the recording is good that is.. its not quite as good as the real thing but sounds pretty darn close to me, probably as close as you are going to get for the money.. there actually one of the most natural sounding speakers i have heard in a long time..

bright, warm or neutral. most speakers seem to stick to one of those things. these speakers really seem to depending on the recording.. if its recorded warm the song sound warm.. if its recorded bright its gonna sound bright.. my last set of speakers most songs all sounded pretty neutral to slightly bright.. the pair before that everything was bright no matter what recording i played , one pair i had everything sounded warm.. so these really depend on the recording.. most recordings sound warm to neutral.. i like warm..

i can really hear the effects used that in the studio when they recorded the song.. i can can really pick out say dealy or reverb or any of that stuff on the guitar or vocals on good recordings.. never had a set of speakers do that so well before..

basically i think you are hearing music being reproduced the way the recording studio intended for you to hear the song. these speaker really sound realistic and natural to my ear.

ok i think this gets the point across with out going on for too long, bottom line in my opinion they are a very natural sounding speaker that really reproduces a song the way it was intended to be heard and they have great bass..
Cambridge Azur 651A
Polk LSi M703
Sonos Connect

Comments

• Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,010
    They are some great bookies for sure. Enjoy!
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    Nice review Danny, glad you're enjoying them. Definitely a favorite of mine, as you know. My experience was the same - took months before it hit me just how smooth and pleasing they sound. +1 on the bass and not really needing a sub.
    I disabled signatures.
  • yeah.. they sound way better than anything i have heard in their price range.. i have heard some much more expensive speaks that did not sound as good to me.

my old mirage 595iS speakers were pretty awesome. they colored the sound but in a very pleasant way.. these are the only other set of speakers that i have owned that i have liked this much.. these sound allot more natural so there probably a better speaker and the bass is better on these..

usually i keep a set of speakers for 6 months to a year then i sell them and get something else.. i been into stereos for about 25 years. i kept the old mirage speakers till they had had it..i blew 2 crossovers in one speaker for some reason and replaced it with a after market one.. and finally the foam started coming off all of the speakers so i decided to retire them. i have a feeling ill hold on to these as long as i can..
    Cambridge Azur 651A
    Polk LSi M703
    Sonos Connect

• they look pretty as well..

ew86i94gcoyo.jpg
    cwbh0r5b55j9.jpg
    Cambridge Azur 651A
    Polk LSi M703
    Sonos Connect

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    Nice review, thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!

Thanks also for the tip on how they require a lengthy/extended break in period. It's especially timely since my pair is set to arrive on Saturday. Helps me know what to expect out of box and then later on down the line.

What kind of music did you play for the 24 hour periods when you were breaking them in?
  • Clipdat wrote: »
    Nice review, thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!

Thanks also for the tip on how they require a lengthy/extended break in period. It's especially timely since my pair is set to arrive on Saturday. Helps me know what to expect out of box and then later on down the line.

What kind of music did you play for the 24 hour periods when you were breaking them in?

one thing i forgot to mention watching movies with these in 2 channel, vocals sound very theatrical simular to how they sound when you see a movie in the theater they just have that full rich sound for watching movies. i was really impressed when i watched a TV show for the first time. it was a episode of super natural and i though damn those voices sound awesome on these..

for break in i put my sonos player on shuffle, i never cranked the volume on the speakers during the first 2 weeks, in most of the time they were playing at a volume you can easily have a conversation over or slightly louder. it plays rock and roll, punk rock. country, bluegrass, i have some pop albums, and i have a few rap albums,

i also have some pandra radio channels i would listen too allot when i was home, i have several channels there, 90's alternative, some dubstep type stuff, 50's music, rockabilly, metal, hair metal, soul, delta blues, classic rock, pink floyd and so on.. all kinds of stuff even Pandora which is not top notch audio quality sound great on these..

a bass station that basically plays music people used to use for bass competitions in vehicles back in the 80's and 90's, it actually took a while before these speakers would play the really low notes on that type of music.. at first the speaker would move but no bass would come out on those really really low notes.

it really took a while for the bass to get to full potential and it really took a while before the tweeter got to full potential.. for a while you could not really hear cymbals very well its like they were burred behind everything else and one day there they were loud and clear. i think they are still improving and sounding better all the time to tell you the truth

i set the bass knob on my amp to 2 o clock and they now pump out some bass. if i have the knob centered its not quite enough bass for me.. if it turn it much past 2 o clock the bass starts to sound overpowering. i love bass. im not happy unless i have allot of it. have always had a 12 inch sub with every other set of speakers. now the sub just sets there and looks pretty.. lol im not 100% sure but i think these speakers are still improving the more i listen to them..
    Cambridge Azur 651A
    Polk LSi M703
    Sonos Connect

• Nice little write up. I haven’t heard the 703’s but I love my 705s. They also took some time to break in and on the right equipment they sound marvelous.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    Great details, thanks again for the writeup. Extremely valuable to anyone going through a new speaker break in process. Especially interesting about how at first they simply wouldn't recreate the bass tones properly, and then after time they started to.

Pandora stations are a great idea, I'll have to add a few new ones to my usual and let them play on mine when I start breaking them in.

Since you like bass, I'll PM you with a few of my dnb mixes that you might like.
    for break in i put my sonos player on shuffle, i never cranked the volume on the speakers during the first 2 weeks, in most of the time they were playing at a volume you can easily have a conversation over or slightly louder. it plays rock and roll, punk rock. country, bluegrass, i have some pop albums, and i have a few rap albums,

i also have some pandra radio channels i would listen too allot when i was home, i have several channels there, 90's alternative, some dubstep type stuff, 50's music, rockabilly, metal, hair metal, soul, delta blues, classic rock, pink floyd and so on.. all kinds of stuff even Pandora which is not top notch audio quality sound great on these..