New SDA SRS 1.2TL for long time Polk Owner

2»

Comments

• stones89
    stones89 Posts: 229
    Congratulations! Great speakers now and will sound even better with some DIY. I partially updated my 2.3tl's with help of the good folks here and they sound even better.
    Basis 2200 Signature, Vector 4, Transfiguration Proteus, Allnic H3000, Meridian 200/563, CJ ET5, McIntosh 501's, Thiel CS6, 3.6, Polk SDA SRS 2.3tl, MIT EVO, KS/Wywires PC's
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    I wish I had never sold my Sansui stack system for 350.00 delivered...It sounded SOOOO GOOD !! I know what you mean about how they all sound except I have not heard a Sony ES Amp or Sony ES Receiver that has rosewood sides from the past. Maybe one day. ;)

I think it was a 717 int. amp and it's corresponding tuner and equalizer too. I got it for 40.00 at a high school fundraiser of some kind.

I was blown away by the price...and I was late to that sale by about 45 minutes. I parked right behind the guys table. I could see it and couldn't get out of my car and to him fast enough. :p And when he said it was still for sale and 40 would buy it.... Halleluiah, thank you GOD !!! o:)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    edited November 2017
    Back in the late 80's early 90's I fell in love with Sony ES CD players first listen at the local hifi shop. Crack never sounded so good. I couldn't afford the top of the line so second and third from the top is where I landed. They are still going strong and now my oldest has my first ES player and just loves it. He was 3 when i bought it and 28 now. If they played SACD I'd still be using them.

Congrats on the lawful heist of some killer SDA's, stole them with a smile ;)
  • pitdogg2 wrote: »
    If they played SACD I'd still be using them.

You should look at the Sony BDP-S5000ES. It's a superstar SACD player. I bunch of the guys over on tapeheads love them for making tapes. Mine sounds fantastic on a different system.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    edited November 2017
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    If they played SACD I'd still be using them.

You should look at the Sony BDP-S5000ES. It's a superstar SACD player. I bunch of the guys over on tapeheads love them for making tapes. Mine sounds fantastic on a different system.

I have enough DVD players. For years i had HT which consisted of Denon 2900 and 3910. My 2ch is now Pioneer Elite D9 SACD player. I went through enough of the Sony dvd 9000 players i just gave up. Their lasers are no where near as good as their early ES players.
    Thanks I'm sure it is a great player just not for me at this time.
  • dpowell
    dpowell Posts: 3,050
    Congrats on a great score! All the recommended SDA upgrades mentioned on this forum are 100% worth it and will take those speakers to a whole new level when you're ready.
    ____________________________________________________________ polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS SVS PB13 Ultra x 2Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Sunfire Signature Cinema Grande 400, ADCOM 7807, Panasonic UB420, Sony SCD-C333ES, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • I have been looking for these for about five years now. Every time I see them on eBay or Audiogon, USAudimart or CanuckAudiomart they are "local pickup only", or "will not ship". One of these days I will find a pair that I can get. Maybe. One day....
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    TheChemist wrote: »
    I have been looking for these for about five years now. Every time I see them on eBay or Audiogon, USAudimart or CanuckAudiomart they are "local pickup only", or "will not ship". One of these days I will find a pair that I can get. Maybe. One day....

One thing about the big SDA's from that era, other than the massive size and weight, is the packaging. The boxes for my 2.3TL's are 5' long, 24" wide, and 17" high. I think the 1.2's are 8"-10" longer.

Although the original foam inside was really nice, it has deteriorated over the last 25 years, so when I move them, I have to be very gentle with them. If I shipped them now without replacing the original foam, they would probably suffer some serious damage.
  • TheChemist
    TheChemist Posts: 13
    edited December 2017
    I agree. I saw some in New York and corresponded with owner, he was willing to take to a shop that would build crates for them, but they wanted $1,750 for two crates! I know there are box shops that will build a cardboard box, but my search-Fu was weak and I could not locate any in that town.