LSiM 703 vs. CRS+4.1TL version

Hey all, I'm in the process of rebuilding a pair of CRS+'s upgrading them to the 4.1TL.

I'm intrigued by the LSiM703's at the current Friends & Family price, I've always loved the look of these speakers, especially in Cherry, but I've held off on buying them until now (maybe).

I know the 703's won't compete with the CRS's on Soundstage width, or the SDA presentation, but will the 703's outclass the CRS's in every other area?

The speakers will be accompanied by a pair of Rythmik F8 Subs.

If anyone has had both the CRS+'s and the 703's I would appreciate any feedback you might have.

TIA, Mike

Comments

• Legender
    Legender Posts: 478
    That's interesting... as I thought the 703s sounded pretty good. But then, I've never heard the CRSs.
    Music: Oppo103 - Parasound JC2 - Parasound A21- SDA 3.1
    Theater: Denon 3808 - B&K 7500/Emotiva XPA-3- RTi12, CSi5, RTiA7x4, PSW505
    Sleeping: Marantz 70005 - Harman Kardon 2400 - SDA 2
    2 Channel: Cary 306 SACD - Canary Audio 906 - Pass Labs x250 - PS Audio Perfectwave DAC, Polk LSiM705, SVS SB13 Ultra
    Office: Dell Optiplex, Emotiva XDA-2, Adcom 5500, LSiM 703
    Spares: Yamaha CA-810; LSi 15; Kenwood Basic M2a, Yamaha M60/M80, Polk Monitor 7, SVS SB13 Ultra
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    DSkip wrote: »
    They won't touch the upgraded crs.

Thanks Derek, I'm thinking you might have just saved me around 7 bills, I'll return the favor one day.

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708

I concur.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Legender
    So hard to find the CRS versions (clean and decent)... what about upgraded 3.1TLs? Would they compare favorably as the upgraded CRSs? And beat out the 703s and 705s?
    Maybe I'm wasting my time/money on the newer speakers.
    2 Channel: Cary 306 SACD - Canary Audio 906 - Pass Labs x250 - PS Audio Perfectwave DAC, Polk LSiM705, SVS SB13 Ultra
    Spares: Yamaha CA-810; LSi 15; Kenwood Basic M2a, Yamaha M60/M80, Polk Monitor 7, SVS SB13 Ultra
  • Mike Reeter

Legender wrote: »
    So hard to find the CRS versions (clean and decent)... what about upgraded 3.1TLs? Would they compare favorably as the upgraded CRSs? And beat out the 703s and 705s?
    Maybe I'm wasting my time/money on the newer speakers.

Carlton, I should have had my modded 3.1's in place when you visited, they do sound quite good.

I had a pair of "lightly" modded 4.1TL CRS+'s, and like a damn fool, sold them. I came across another pair that I'm working on now. The CRS's put out an amazing sound for their size...soo easy to listen to.

• Mike Reeter

F1nut wrote: »

I concur.

This has been my thoughts also, but without actually getting ears on the 703's, I just did'nt know for sure. I guess that's why I haven't popped on the 703's before now.

Thanks for the remarks guys, appreciate it.

• You should also consider the 2b modded and TL d they are quite good
    Yamaha RXA1030, Yamaha CD-S2100, Yamaha AS-2200, Bluesound node 2i
    Polk SDA2btl highly modded
    Polk SDA 1C modded
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub

• dhart86
    dhart86 Posts: 1,594
    Late to the party Mike, but I had both speakers and the CRS's hands down
    Main Rig:
    Antipodes DX > Roon > PS Audio Directstream Jr.>deHavilland Ultraverve 3 >Belles Reference 150a >Harbeth C7 ES3

Second Rig:
    Roon> PS Audio Directstream Jr Bridge II > EE Minimax pre (Tutay mods) >Belles 150A Ref >Monitor 5 (Westmassguy-modded)

• monepolk
    monepolk Posts: 1,140
    Those look very nice.
  • Thanks again for the remarks, I decided not to pop on the 703's (at least not during this last Sale) :)

I have the CRS cabinets about finished, I striped the old Vinyl covering off of them and Veneered with a Birdseye Maple, stained and finished.

g58s24oqipa4.jpg

6s91rm4zkcu7.jpg

afta9czanyd6.jpg

They look great.

I need to learn how to work with veneer. I have few pairs of Polk's I'd like to veneer.
    "Make a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Light
    a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

• Mike Reeter
    TNTsTunes wrote: »
    Thanks again for the remarks, I decided not to pop on the 703's (at least not during this last Sale) :)

I have the CRS cabinets about finished, I striped the old Vinyl covering off of them and Veneered with a Birdseye Maple, stained and finished.

g58s24oqipa4.jpg

6s91rm4zkcu7.jpg

afta9czanyd6.jpg

They look great.

I need to learn how to work with veneer. I have few pairs of Polk's I'd like to veneer.

This was my first attempt at Veneering, it was a Beouch to say the least. I used a Raw Veneer that was not "pre-glued". I did use a Heat Sensitive, Iron-on type glue, but the process was still a PITA.

The raw Veneer does funny things when you apply the glue to it, curls up and makes it tough to apply to the cabinet without it cracking or splitting on you.

'If" I attempt to Veneer anything else, I will try the "Pre-Glued" material that you just lay on and heat with an iron to make the bond.

• MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Threads like this make me really really curious - just how good are these CRS+TLs? Better than 2Btl's? Inquiring minds want to know what they are missing!!

Love Polks that are re-veneered in wood BTW!
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• Mike Reeter
    MrBuhl wrote: »
    Threads like this make me really really curious - just how good are these CRS+TLs? Better than 2Btl's? Inquiring minds want to know what they are missing!!

Love Polks that are re-veneered in wood BTW!

Although I can't compare the two models, as I've not had ears on the modded 2B's, I will say that the CRS+4.1TL version sound quite good for their size, mine will be accompanied by a pair of these

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/subs/f8.html
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Great thread...Good job Mike

Happy Holidays
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    Rock on Mike! That will be EPIC!

I’m still gonna eventually go Stereo subs in the loft
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Legender
    They look great Mike. Should make plans to hear them come next year. Hope you and yours have a great holiday.
  • Mike Reeter
    edited November 2017
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Great thread...Good job Mike

Happy Holidays
    Legender wrote: »
    They look great Mike. Should make plans to hear them come next year. Hope you and yours have a great holiday.

Thanks guys, Happy Holidays to you as well.

• Mike Reeter

I highly recommend the Rythmiks, they are Seriously built and perform as advertised. They have been one of the best improvements to my set up that I've made for a long while.

• EndersShadow

I highly recommend the Rythmiks, they are Seriously built and perform as advertised. They have been one of the best improvements to my set up that I've made for a long while.

Bit too pricey for my taste.... I've got a MicroPro 2k right now, and I'd add another for my super small room and be more than happy....

The BIG BASS is going to be downstairs....
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • EndersShadow
    That's a nice sub Dan. Not too deep, but its big sound for its size and well controlled.

Agreed. Thats why I dont want to go bigger, just duals for slightly more impact and null reduction.
  • Mike Reeter

Bit too pricey for my taste.... I've got a MicroPro 2k right now, and I'd add another for my super small room and be more than happy....

The BIG BASS is going to be downstairs....

I certainly wouldn't see anything wrong with a pair of the MicroPro's!
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    Nice job Mike! Great to see you still posting on the forum and enjoying the hobby :)
  • Mike Reeter
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Nice job Mike! Great to see you still posting on the forum and enjoying the hobby :)

Still among the living ;)
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    Mike, those look amazing!!
  • monepolk
    Hey Mike you wanna trade :)
  • Mike Reeter
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    Mike, those look amazing!!

Thanks Larry, I can certainly see why the folks you got a bid from to Veneer yours was at $1500. Not so much work, but VERY time consuming!

• Mike Reeter
    monepolk wrote: »
    Hey Mike you wanna trade :)

LOL, I tried to buy yours once!

• monepolk
    I'll be following to get a few ideas. ;)