How do I increase the volume on my S2 speakers and use Comcast remote to turn off SB1+

I purchased a SB1+ system and also have 2 of the S2 speakers. I have called Polk and been on the phone for an hour, but the Tech could not help me and said he would send the question to the next level. This has been over a week and I still have not received an email or call back.
First question? What code do I use to turn off the SB1+ system, with the Comcast remote? I read in the comcast remote codes papers, the code they suggested, but it did not work. Does anyone know what code to use?

Second question. I have my system set up as a Surround Sound. The front bar and sub are working fine and If I put the S2 speakers up to my ear, I can hear sound, but it is very low. I have gone into the Polk App and tried to reset the S2 speakers to be louder, but it does not seem to make a change. They seem to stay at the same "Low" level. I even tried pushing the + button on the S2 speaker, but that also did nothing.
I'm looking for suggestions.

Thanks
Bob

Answers

• Hi Bob,
    Let me see if I can get you an answer.
  • Hello Bob,
    Here's the response from my friend at Polk:

"Here are the instructions for comcast's new remotes,

The new XR11 remotes have a unique feature in that you can program two devices into it (say, a TV and a sound bar) and the remote will essentially assign control over things like channel-changing to the cable box, power and input settings to the TV, and volume to an audio device. This actually makes your overall experience with the bar much easier in the long run.

If this all sounds like a bit much, I apologize. Essentially, to make it work, you only need to follow these steps:

1) Turn on the bar, TV, and cable box.
    2) Program the Xfinity remote with an audio device (I usually use Denon, but literally any audio device’s codes should work. I have included the codes for Denon for our purposes). To do so;
    a. On the remote, hold the “Setup” button until the status LED at the top of the remote changes from red to green.
    b. Type in the numbers 3-1-3-6-0 (you may also use 32857).
    c. If the code is entered correctly, the status LED will flash green twice. If the LED blinks red, then green, the code was not entered correctly.
    3) Now that the remote has volume codes programmed into it, you can run through our learning process and it will work just fine.

1. The Sound Bar is turned on and the LED is on, and
    you have sound coming from the bar.
    2. Press and hold the “SOURCE/LEARN ” button (on the bar next to power) for 5 seconds. LEDs 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 pulse and a chime is heard.
    3. Press and release “Volume Up” button on the bars included remote. It will chime "Ding"
    4. Hold your TV’s remote 2 to 3 feet from the sound bar.
    5. Press the “Volume Up” button on your TV’s IR remote control once. It will make the same chime.
    6. LEARN LEDs 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 turn solid; the command has been learned.
    7.Repeat these steps 1-6 to program “Volume Down”( – ), Source, Mute, and Power buttons.
    8. Then press and hold the source button in again until you get a chime.
    9.Press the input button on your remote (1 or 2) and you should get audio again.

For the second part, when he opens the app and goes to settings, surround sound, there is a relative volume there, he can turn that up. He may be watching something that is not in Dolby and it might be getting matrixed surround so that's why it might sound low or off. He might also want to check and make sure the bar is on the 5ghz network, as this will hinder performance if it is not. He can open the app, hit settings, then about. Under this page he will see his speakers listed and next to the bar will say 2.4 or 5. If it is not on 5 then he needs to reset up the bar on that network and it should help overall performance in surround sound mode."

I hope this is helpful information.
    Regards, Ken
  • Hi Ken,
    The instruction you have here, are the same as found on Polk's web site and manual. I already had the volume working with my Comcast remote, just not the On/Off. Every time I have tried to do the LEARN process, the SB1+ will shut down, because I wanted it to LEARN to shut off, but the sb1+ just shuts off and the learning process stops.
    This why I was thinking, if I could just enter the same code the Polk remote uses to turn the SB1+ off, I could just enter the same code in my Comcast remote.

Part 2... S2 Speakers. I don't know why, but after I came home from work, the speakers seem to be working better. The last thing I did before I went to work, was to set the S2 levels up to 10. I wonder, does the change not happen until you shut off the sound bar and then turn it back on? Oh, you said it should be running at 5ghz, well it already was running at 5ghz.

So, I'm still looking for info on how to use the comcast remote to turn the SB1+ on and off.

Thanks
    Bob
  • Hi Bob,
    It's best to call 1-800-377-7655 and ask for Kennan, he's the person who supplied the above info.
  • Hi Ken,
    I'm thinking that you have a SB1+, or have use one. Have you been able to use some other remote to turn the SB1+ off/on? If so, did you program the remote or did it come ready to use?
    Like I said, the instructions works well for the volume, but when to hit the on/off button on the SB1+, it will shut off, even in learn mode.
    Thanks
    Bob
  • Hi Bob,
    I'm sorry I don't have one and I'm not where I could have access to one. In very general terms I always recommended using the TV's remote to program the bar since it transmitted a less complicated command scheme. But Kennon is the person to deal with currently.
    Cheers, Ken