LSi-7 Too little power?Too Much?

venomclan
venomclan Posts: 2,467
edited September 2004 in Speakers
Hi Guys,
I am thinking about upgrading my rears to LSi 7's. I currently use LS/FX's with an Adcom 535 (60 watts x 2, 8ohm). I was just wondering if this amp will have enough juice to make the 7's sound nice at 4 ohms. Is anyone using a low powered SS amp with LSI 7's or 9's?

My second thought is, after getting the LSi'7's, I would like to hook them up to my krell Kav250a for an audition as I have heard that the LSi's like extra power. This will give them 500 watts each at 4ohm's. Will this be overkill at moderate listening levels?
Thanks,
Best Regards,
Jeremy
Post edited by venomclan on

Comments

• jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited September 2004
    Well, I am running 135W to my rear 7's and it is plenty of power with the bass crossed over to the SVS. I'm guessing your Adcom does at least 85W into the 7's so it should be fine (My room is 20X22 with an attached entryway and bar ~7,000+ FT^3)

As for do the 7's like more power... Hell yeah they do! (Even at moderate levels) I hooked them up to my carver A500x amp (450W/channle @4Ohm iirc) to test break in (myth vs. reality) and the power made them sing with far more authority and control than my H&K can. I tried this in both my 2 channel and HT rooms, and the same result held. In most cases: The stronger the amp (SS here, not tubes), the better the control/sound at all volumes.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,964
    edited September 2004
    Yes

The 535 (original) is a great little amp... It rates for 78 watts x 2, 8 ohms - bench tested.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • I just bought a pair of Lsi 7 's & a pair of B&W 686's & I'll review them next week on 3 different amps, A modified DH-220 125 Wpc @ 8 ohm, A musical design 75W A8,
    & the kicker a Behrenger KM -750 200Wpc @8 $159.99 Noisy fan amp. I'm sure this will very Interesting! My last reviews on Alons & Snells was controversial! I've had a pair of Whafedale diamond 10.2's hooked up to my Denon AV & Love them.
    Lsi 7's, Snell E.5's, velodyne & polk subs, Trancendant pre , Musical concepts & Musical design Amps, Cal Audio CD player
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    Have fun. I doubt anything you say will be "that" controversial.

The LSi 7's have been in the wild for so long most folks know what they should and do sound like.

One of my favorite LSi speakers honestly.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • I have them only 2 days & I'm honestly "dumbfounded" & stunned at how good they are!! I have been working at this for 35yrs & could not afford good to great gear!
    they are so good they blow away my reference tube headphone amp &
    beyerdynamic DT 1350 headphones. Detail, tone, imageing, lifelike, true, palpable musical presentation! I have NEVER heard a speaker so good. The closest I can remember was a pair of the, then Incredible Alon 5's powered by 2 VTL monoblocks @ 6-$9000.00 system circa 1992!
    Lsi 7's, Snell E.5's, velodyne & polk subs, Trancendant pre , Musical concepts & Musical design Amps, Cal Audio CD player
  • EndersShadow;Have fun. I doubt anything you say will be "that" controversial.

The LSi 7's have been in the wild for so long most folks know what they should and do sound like.

One of my favorite LSi speakers honestly.

AVnut57 says-= OK!! so here goes,
    The behringer KM-750 $159 amp can almost keep up with
    the expensive to VERY expensive "Named" amps!!?? Outright shocking.
    The thread is about power, the 750 claims 200+ Wpc,
    the amps I tested it with are 125+ & 75+ & I'm just
    struggling with something costing 5-10 times as much not
    completely being obviously better. My analogy would be to
    compare my Rti a10 to the Lsi 7's anyway just my opinion.
    I'd definitely like to " Hear " from others on anything from power
    to speaks to amps. Thanks

• mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    What does "almost keep up with" mean?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    mdaudioguy wrote: »

It means he has no clue.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    F1nut wrote: »

It means he has no clue.
    It's just too controversial! :p
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646