2»

Comments

• NotaSuv
    NotaSuv Posts: 3,815
    Enjoy em as you got a fantastic deal on a turn key pair of speakers
  • pkquat
    pkquat Posts: 742
    Update:
    I haven't had a chance to hook them up yet. :( I've been super busy, plus I got sucked into the rabbit hole. I now have some unmodded 1.2TL's too, but superb condition and only about an hour drive. The price was a little high, but I've seen a number now near me sell or get held on to for a little less.
    I didn't do a drive by here until Sunday so I missed all of Toolfans stuff. :s I have a few MW rings, maybe 8 or less, and some for the tweeters. I will be needing more.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,889
    I would have saved the money and skipped on the 1.2tl’s, those 2.3tl’s are all you will need and then some...
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,549
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    I would have saved the money and skipped on the 1.2tl’s, those 2.3tl’s are all you will need and then some...

Are 2.3TL's really that good? Why do many here consider them to be better that the flagship? Curious mind here.
  • I think some of it has to do with the increased driver/tweeter height when compared to the height of the listening position possibly. Room size too.
    "Make a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Light
    a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

• GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,085
    Yep, room size was my issue.
    I would say the 2.3s need at least 20 x 20 area to do them justice
    I had 4 options. I could move, add an addition, keep the speakers in storage or sell.
    I still would like to build an addition but that’s not in the cards right now
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • Toolfan66
    I’m not really saying one is better than the other, but when you purchase a fully modded set of 2.3tl’s with the dreadnought there is no need for a set of 1.2tl’s..

That money could be better spent somewhere else in the system is all I’m saying...
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    I’m not really saying one is better than the other, but when you purchase a fully modded set of 2.3tl’s with the dreadnought there is no need for a set of 1.2tl’s..

That money could be better spent somewhere else in the system is all I’m saying...

I'm with you Larry! More money for other shiny toys.

The 2.3 was the stopping point for a lot of us. These speakers do everything you need even in big spaces.
    Carl

• pitdogg2
    edited November 2017
    I have just heard more the one reference them as the most musical speaker polk built. I have not heard either fully modded although i have heard both many times.
    I do have a sneaky suspicion i may hear a set of modded 2.3tl one day.
  • pkquat
    pkquat Posts: 742
    I haven't heard either, modded or not. Many people here have had a rotation of speakers and equipment, so that likely will happen. I did some investigating a while back as about the differences. From what I gathered the 2.3's were favored for slightly better balanced sound, both stock and modded, although after mods the 1.2's were very close. The 1.2's had a lower bottom end with more impact, and a presence to match their size. So far, just visually, the only thing I really noticed are the 1.2's tweeters appear a little high for the average sitting position. I am hoping to have the 2.3's in place this weekend.

Having modded and unmodded also gives me a chance to hear the differences between them, and hopefully get me to mod some of my smaller polk's which I have the parts for, but just have not gotten around to.

If only I had a big enough vehicle at the time to pick up @Toolfans modded 1.2's, or when I was in the area it would have worked out better to do a one way van rental.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,781
    There's one thing that put me off the 1.2TL's, the presentation is too high up like you're listening in the orchestra pit. I don't get that with the 2.3TL's. YMMV
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2
    F1nut wrote: »
    There's one thing that put me off the 1.2TL's, the presentation is too high up like you're listening in the orchestra pit. I don't get that with the 2.3TL's. YMMV

Like the instruments are exaggerated to the large side? Is that what you are saying Jesse?
  • pitdogg2 wrote: »

Like the instruments are exaggerated to the large side? Is that what you are saying Jesse?

Kinda like you need to sit on a bar stool.

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,781
    TNTsTunes wrote: »
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Kinda like you need to sit on a bar stool.

This
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2
    DSkip wrote: »
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Instead of imagines directly in front of you, they are above your head. It's a weird experience and one I am not a fan of either. The best way I can think is that some speakers extend the height of the soundstage - like line arrays - where others may simply shift it up a few feet. The TV doesn't get bigger but you have to look up higher to see it.

Got it
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,678
    As of right now, I no longer have "1.2 Envy". Thank you, doctors. :p
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,060
    edited November 2017
    Viking64 wrote: »

Neither do I. I did pass on a pair awhile back that were not listed long here locally.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • Viking64 wrote: »

Do you have the big Dreadnought for your 2.3's? It makes quite the difference.

If you really want the be a King get 1.2TL's, just remember to put a pedestal under your throne. Then they will rock your realm.

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,678
    TNTsTunes wrote: »

Do you have the big Dreadnought for your 2.3's? It makes quite the difference.

If you really want the be a King get 1.2TL's, just remember to put a pedestal under your throne. Then they will rock your realm.
    Mine is an 800va. It has NL4 connectors, as will my new crossovers, so I haven't used it yet. I'm still using the pin/blade interconnect.

As far as getting 1.2's, I have had my 2.3's for almost 26 years now. I love them. I even love them more than before as I have recently done all sorts of mods while waiting for the crossovers. So, I will probably never get any 1.2's. But I am cool with that. B):p
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited November 2017

This is one reason why I always say the 3.1TL's are the best at imaging and soundstage. With one tweeter, and at the "perfect height" depending on your couch/chair height (of course), the imaging and sound stage are both much more precise than the 2.3TL's and the 1.2TL's. However, I will say the 2.3TL's and the 1.2TL's have more image weight and bass slam than the 3.1TL's.

It's a give and take, for sure.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,048
    I needed a couple "chairs" with a small footprint so I settled on barstools in my listening room years ago. I always felt like I was missing something with my old 2.3s but not so with my 1.2tl's while sitting on the stool and now I realize why. I agree while sitting low like on a couch the 1.2s do tend to put the soundstage too high.
  • Toolfan66
    edited November 2017
    The one and only reason I will never own a set of 2.3tl,s is I don’t have it in me to put the money into them that I have in my 1.2tl,s and my CRS+’s, as far as upgrading SDA’s I’m done, unless I’m helping someone else out with theirs that is..

I have been lucky enough to have my ears on almost every set of popular SDA’s with the exception of the SRS 2’s, and something tells me I would love them. Some of you will hate me for this but I found the 3.1’s lacking in many areas, the 1C’s would be next on my list, I find the 2B’s and CRS+’s to be the gems over them..

The 2.3tl is the gem of the larger SDA’s in my book as well with the 1.2tl right on its heel, and the one and only reason is as Jesse described is its presentation in height, but I don’t find it to be that bad that I would dump my 1.2tl’s and start over, I absolutely love the two sets of SDA’s I own, I am very happy with them..

With all that said I will throw out what I believe to be another gem in the SDA line, and that is the 2.3 non tl version with the donut drivers, I find them to be fabulous speakers, and it can be hard to find a set of great SDA’s at times, and I get so frustrated when I see someone pass on a set to hold out in hopes to find another set of SDA’s that may or may not come around, unless you are the type to take a road trip and increase your chance to get what you want, I think its crazy to pass on them..

Just my .02 cents... LOL...

We all have different ears and likes, so really just enjoy the tunes...

• muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,969
    My unfortunate set up requires me to sit on my bar stool to listen to tunes in the game room, so I can really relate to the above comments. Once I sell the pool table (that rarely gets use any longer) I will have the chance to really here my 2B's. Anybody in the market for a billiard set up? :)
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,013
    Nice speakers and deal.
    I'm glad it was too far for a road trip for me.
    My wife would surely get a divorce lawyer if she found out what I would spend for the deal + gas and time.

I'm glad they are still in the club too.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.