SDA-1A to 1B cabinet reconstruction. Am I crazy??

Hi, been here since 2010 but this is my 1st post. I have owned Monitor 4, 7A, 10B, RTA-12 and SDA Compacts. I currently have a pair of SDA-1As with 9+/10 Oak veneer cabinets and a pair of 1Bs with trashed cabinets. I would like to remove the 1A front baffle board and replace it with the front baffle board from the 1Bs. The most difficult task seems to be the removal of the 1A front baffle without damaging the rest of the cabinet. Does anyone know how the fronts are attached? Is it just a rabbet joint? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,636
    Plug the factory 1A tweeter holes. Center one tweet on the baffle and top mount the 2nd.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    cut the back off the 1B and have a look... Seems to be a waste of time to me.
  • xschop
    This is the thread that I came across awhile back when experimenting with different tweeters and SDA driver arrangements....

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/70329/sda-1a-1tl-modification
  • gimpod
    gimpod Posts: 1,793
    xschop wrote: »
    This is the thread that I came across awhile back when experimenting with different tweeters and SDA driver arrangements....

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/70329/sda-1a-1tl-modification

IMHO, This is not a TL modification but a FrankenPolk hack!. Just like all SDA 1B, SDA SRS 2 (1986) TL mods.
    “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” ~ Mark Twain
  • xschop
    Hack or no, the gentleman has a unique set of SDAs. One of which I can attest to that the angled tweeter is an improvement when the listener is closer to L&R channels in seated position. I also went off the Morel tweeter comment/suggestion and settled with a Dayton tweeter that outclassed the RDO194s easily.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Which Dayton tweeters do you think is a lot better than the RDO-194s ?

I might try a couple in a smaller set .

I replaced 4 SDA-SRS2's tweeters with RDO-194's in the past and after about a week or two, they seemed to play beautifully . Female voices were realistic and clear and smooth. I have a new pair now and plan on doing the same with the RDO-194's.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • xschop
    I went with the Dayton DC-28F with no x-over modification, but new caps of course. Not only female voices, but especially low sax notes and pianos is where the 194s struggled. Grover Washington Jr's Reed Seed track will make or break a tweeter. I would bet the Dayton's doping compound is the same as the classic ADS tweeters' sticky substance.
  • Hi, been here since 2010 but this is my 1st post. I have owned Monitor 4, 7A, 10B, RTA-12 and SDA Compacts. I currently have a pair of SDA-1As with 9+/10 Oak veneer cabinets and a pair of 1Bs with trashed cabinets. I would like to remove the 1A front baffle board and replace it with the front baffle board from the 1Bs. The most difficult task seems to be the removal of the 1A front baffle without damaging the rest of the cabinet. Does anyone know how the fronts are attached? Is it just a rabbet joint? Thanks in advance.

If you asked me to try something like this back when I had my speaker enclosure shop I would have told you "Hell no!"