Red Wine, //////////\\\\\\\\\\

Options
Toolfan66
Toolfan66 Posts: 16,895
edited November 2017 in The Clubhouse
Give it to me, what are some of the best??

Comments

• jeremymarcinko
    Options
    Under $20? Barefoot merlot is my number one. The wife and i have enjoyed a couple bottles a week of it for several years; and at the moment.hmqnq0ehgmv8.jpeg
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    Ruffino Riserva Chianti Classico as an amazing all purpose red.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    Options
    As @jeremymarcinko implies, unless you mean "price no object," you really have to talk in price ranges.

I've had one bottle of Chateau Lafite Rothschild (1972), which was given to me as a gift many years ago. A great wine, but it really is "price no object."

Some more realistic suggestions, all from California:

"Low end" means under $30/750ml bottle.
    "Mid level" means >$30 & <$60/750ml bottle.
    "Higher end" means >$60/750ml bottle.

Cabernet Sauvignons:
    Justin Vineyards -- three price levels -- Paso Robles, Justification, Isoceles
    Stag's Leap Winery -- my favorite is "The Leap"
    Silver Oak -- both Alexander Valley and Napa Valley labels are pricey and good
    Duckhorn -- Decoy (lower end), Three Palms & Howell Mountain (higher end)
    Sterling Vineyards -- Diamond Mountain Ranch

Pinot Noirs:
    Duckhorn's "Goldeneye" -- Anderson Valley (mid level), Gowan Creek (higher end)
    Sea Smoke -- Southing & Ten (mid to higher end)
    Etude -- Irony (low end), Lyric (mid-level), Grace Benoist Ranch Heirloom (higher end)
    Sterling Vineyards -- Cellar Club Pinot Noir Carneros (moderate), Russian River Valley (mid - higher end)

I'm sure others will have other suggestions as well as some dispute with my selections!

The Willamette Valley region of Oregon produces some excellent Pinot Noirs, but I am not too familiar with them.

Hope this helps with whatever you're up to! :)
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,648
    Options
  • LeftCoast
    Options
    Rioja from Spain
    Malbec from Argentina

Both are super cheap and very good quality. You won't be disappointed.
  • TNTsTunes
    Options
    Best to get drunk, probably MD 20/20...

Honestly I just like some rye whiskey or bourbon from time to time.
    "Make a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Light
    a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    Beer, beer drinkers took down those sissy winos in Rome. Anyway if I must Cabernet Sauvignon and Sauvignon blanc covers it, easy to remember too. The difference between a $20 bottle of wine and an $8 bottle of wine is 12 bucks. If you must drink wine just get some crazy chicken.
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Options
    As @jeremymarcinko implies, unless you mean "price no object," you really have to talk in price ranges.

I've had one bottle of Chateau Lafite Rothschild (1972), which was given to me as a gift many years ago. A great wine, but it really is "price no object."

Cabernet Sauvignons:

Pinot Noirs:
    Etude -- Irony (low end), Lyric (mid-level), Grace Benoist Ranch Heirloom (higher end)
    Sterling Vineyards -- Cellar Club Pinot Noir Carneros (moderate), Russian River Valley (mid - higher end)

I'm sure others will have other suggestions as well as some dispute with my selections!

The Willamette Valley region of Oregon produces some excellent Pinot Noirs, but I am not too familiar with them.

That there is a GREAT list of some quality stuff! !00% agreed. Often you can nab a quality Bordeaux in this range as well - $20 to $50 is the sweet spot for great wine values IMO really great wines, without really great prices.
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• Rich502
    Rich502 Posts: 146
    Options
    nbrowser wrote: »
    My personal faves all come from Yellow Tail, don't know if it's available in the US as it's from Australia, they have a Cab, a Merlot and a Shiraz...honestly all are really good and reasonably priced.

Yellow Tail is widely available in the US. If you like YT, give Yellow Label from Wolf Blass, also from Australia, a try for a few bucks more.
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    Many good Malbec's and they're priced right. Before I quit drinking I was in to the Roth Estate Heritage. Many good Shiraz from Australia, though, their prices have increased with their popularity.

Best thing to do is get a couple of different bottles of a few different types and start sampling.
  • Toolfan66
    Options

Cabernet Sauvignons:

Pinot Noirs:

Thanks Moose, I will use this list today..

• Malbec
    Malbec Posts: 548
    Options
    Don't overlook Chilean reds. Santa Rita Cab Sauv from the Maipo Valley would be a good start. Reasonably priced too.

My favorite red? Take a guess. Without getting into the growing regions and sub regions in Argentina that make Malbec such a diverse wine, try Trapiche Medalla from the Uco Valley in the Mendoza region. Other regions to look for on the label are, Rio Negro and Catamarca.
  • Msabot1
    Msabot1 Posts: 2,098
    Options
    Can't beat a nice warm bottle of Night Train....
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Chilean Reds offer a great bang for your buck, but in my opinion just isn't up to the Napa or European standards in taste. They do have a slightly different flavor due to the conditions they are grown in.

Moose put together a good list, I might add also, the Ruffino TAN label chianti is a good rounded 20 buck bottle. Obviously the gold label is more.

Caldera Pinot Noir, for around 25 bucks is as good as a 25 buck Pinot is going to get. Flowers Pinot is about 45 bucks but smooth as silk.

Barolo isn't going to fall in your price range, but there are a few 35 buck ones that are decent. Duckhorn's lower end, Decoy is good also, their Red table wine is a blend but a good crowd pleaser.

If the Reds your looking for are for a party, you want Reds more rounded with a lighter finish, not heavy on the tannins. Like everything it comes down to a matter of tastes, but usually the wines that are least offensive to women anyway are the ones that are on the smoother side.

Women like Rose too, so don't overlook that light red....if you want to call it a Red. 15 Bucks for a Rose is decent. Read the tasting notes on what you may want to buy, anything refering to a bright or tight finish probably won't be a crowd pleasing wine.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,047
    edited November 2017
    Options
    A sleeper selection option, if you have a Costco membership, is their "Kirkland Signature" wines.
    Willamette valley Pinot Noir, Cotes du Rhone Villages, Gran Reserva Ribera del Duero, etc.

They are all excellent examples of the types & punch *way* above their price point.
    Some interesting reading at http://costcowineblog.com/category/kirkland-wines/
    and
    https://www.reversewinesnob.com/search/label/costco/kirkland-signature/

And, if nothing else, it will also give you an idea of what else is out there in red varietals you may not know about.
    Also, if you have access to a Total Wine around you, they have a really nice assortment of right-bank Bordeaux (think St. Emillion) at good prices.

• Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Kathryn Kennedy Cabernet

If you can find it, it is $$$. And drink with those who can enjoy it.

http://www.kathrynkennedywinery.com/inner.html?fnv=current

My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,679
    Options
    Hold your nose so you can't taste it and then just keep guzzling until you get plastered.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    Join a wine club.

lqmwycyn7ts3.jpeg
    evzd46mn11lk.jpeg
    dqhv5n0lng2o.jpeg
    4uzjo9taxj9u.jpeg
    rxd1dvk7484a.jpeg
    5kyd8w2ddmht.jpeg
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Join a wine club.

lqmwycyn7ts3.jpeg
    evzd46mn11lk.jpeg
    dqhv5n0lng2o.jpeg
    4uzjo9taxj9u.jpeg
    rxd1dvk7484a.jpeg
    5kyd8w2ddmht.jpeg

Thats a lot of upcoming "Blue Fox" nights :wink:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Join a wine club.

Someone needs to start drinking faster/more heavily, they're piling up! Mind the volume levels as you do so--Your Magicos thank you in advance.
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • Jazzhead
    Jazzhead Posts: 523
    Options
    If you like "huge" red wines, you might look at/taste some of the wines produced in the Columbia Valley of Washington.
    Polk Audio first generation RTA-12s; 12 inch Polk Stands; DHS Speaker Service upgraded crossovers w/ Sonicap/Mills; the "westmassguy anti-lobing mod" (hyperdamped outer drivers/mirror imaged); tweeter anti-diffraction mod; Cardas binding posts; Neotech UPOCC internal wire; foam-lined inner driver baskets; xschop phase plugs; deleted fuses; Hurricane nuts; Sonic Barrier; Dynamat Xtreme
    Ayre K-5xeMP preamplifier
    Cambridge Audio 840C CD player; Herbie's Audio Lab Super Black Hole CD Mat
    D-Sonic Custom Audio M3a-600M monoblock amplifiers
    NAD 4155 FM/AM tuner
    Silnote Audio Morpheus Reference II Series II balanced interconnects; Virtue Audio single-ended interconnects
    Kimber 12TC speaker cable w/Furez connectors; VH Audio Flavor 4 power cables w/Furutech connectors
    Herbie's Audio Lab system isolation: Tenderfeet, Big Fat Dots, Grungebuster Dots, Little Fat Gliders
    Dedicated 20A/10 AWG circuit; Furutech GTX-D (G) outlet; Furutech eTP80; Shunyata Research Venom Defender; Synergistic Research Orange fuses
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    Thats a lot of upcoming "Blue Fox" nights :wink:

The funny part is I only drink beer on Friday and Saturday nights. I rarely touch the wine. LOL.

I finally had to quit the club as I was running out of room. :)

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,314
    Options
    Almost any Cab from Napa.
  • Viking64
    Options
    Jimbo18 wrote: »

How much is a cab from Napa? I would guess at least $200, plus tip, depending on where you are going.
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Options
    Viking64 wrote: »
    Jimbo18 wrote: »

How much is a cab from Napa? I would guess at least $200, plus tip, depending on where you are going.

Oh no - Groth bottles a great one in the mid-sixties, there are many fine Cabs to be had in Napa that don't go over that mark including the aformentioned Silver Oak.
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• Viking64
    Options
    MrBuhl wrote: »

Oh no - Groth bottles a great one in the mid-sixties, there are many fine Cabs to be had in Napa that don't go over that mark including the aformentioned Silver Oak.
    8qflp28fx1f1.jpg

Here, let's try another :

Once I took a cab to NAPA Auto Parts because my car wouldn't start. They sold me a starter and my car started fine after that. I SHIRAZ heck appreciated their help.
  • Toolfan66
    Options
    sxxfx0e1u8wc.jpeg

Thanks Moose!!!
  • Viking64
    Options
    That's not a moose! :p
  • Toolfan66
    Options
    As some of you know I very seldom drink, so when I do I don’t have a problem spending a little more, I like red wines so I thought I would ask what some of your favorites are, and try something different..
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    I normal drink all Merlot's..
    favorite is Kendall Jackson Merlot ($20), had some Crossfork Creek Merlot ($18) tonight that is really close to Kendall"s in taste and very good.

going to try some Flora Springs Merlot ($22) Tomorrow with a beef Tenderloin I'm smoking :)
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD