Why do Polk speakers get no respect?

Robpar
Robpar Posts: 8
edited November 2017 in Speakers
Why is it that in just about every review I read, Polks don't get excellent reviews? are the really that much worse than say... Def Tech, B&W, MartinLogan, Klipsch
I have Rti12's and "everybody" says they sound bad for music.
Would I really get that much of an improvement if I went with MartinLogan's Motion 60Xt or Sierra 2 towers or Aperion Grand Verus II or Klipsch RF 7 II?
Even the new Polk LSi don't get a great review.... (also considering the LSI 707 since they are on sale now)
Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Comments

• I too have the 12's and while I don't agree that they sound bad, by any means, for music. I would agree with people that something like vintage monitors or SDA's sound much better. If you're looking for something to get into music, you can't go wrong with the vintage monitors or SDAs. Having came from the 12's to the SDA's (CRS+ and 1C) and monitor 10b's, I'd say you wouldn't regret it.
  • Having came from the 12's to the SDA's (CRS+ and 1C) and monitor 10b's, I'd say you wouldn't regret it.
    Can you clarify: CRS, 1C and 10b's; what are they?
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    RTi are great for HT use, for music they are not bad once the source in set correctly. Big thing about the RTi line is they like a lot of power to sound their best.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • Robpar wrote: »
    Having came from the 12's to the SDA's (CRS+ and 1C) and monitor 10b's, I'd say you wouldn't regret it.
    Can you clarify: CRS, 1C and 10b's; what are they?

I currently have all of the above, the 10b's are in my office setup the 1c's and crs are on rotation in the "sda room"
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    One of the problems for Polk, in general, is a lot of their speakers like power to sound their best.

That usually flies in the face of a budget minded consumer (MOST Polk customers). Power, usually, cost money. So, a lot of Polk speakers are underpowered and suffer sonically because of it.

I firmly believe if Polk stopped trying to make their speakers play so low and make them better balanced they would do far better. Once you introduce POWER or a sub so that they don't have to play so low they do much, much better.

A GREAT example of this, IMO, is the Polk S20's. On a pretty typical receiver that would be used with this speaker they sounded bloated and unbalanced. I'm currently borrowing a 200wpc amp from a friend and they sound much more balanced and controlled. Still a bit too bloated in the bottom end for me, but better. If Polk just tuned this speaker to a more realistic frequency response, it would be a MUCH better speaker.

Naturally, this is all just my opinion...
  • Get your learn on SDAs especially the 4th and 5th generation are very desirable. You will not find at any price a speaker that does what they do
    Yamaha RXA1030, Yamaha CD-S2100, Yamaha AS-2200, Bluesound node 2i
    Polk SDA2btl highly modded
    Polk SDA 1C modded
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub

Why is it that in just about every review I read, Polks don't get excellent reviews? are the really that much worse than say... Def Tech, B&W, MartinLogan, Klipsch
    Would I really get that much of an improvement if I went with MartinLogan's Motion 60Xt or Sierra 2 towers or Aperion Grand Verus II or Klipsch RF 7 II?
    Even the new Polk LSi don't get a great review.... (also considering the LSI 707 since they are on sale now)

Do you think your RTi12s sound bad for music?
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Living Room: B&K Reference 5 S2 / Parasound HCA-1000A / Emotiva XDA-2 / Pioneer BDP-51FD / Paradigm 11se MKiii

Desk: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / ISK HD9999

Office: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Dynaco SCA-80Q / Paradigm Legend V.3

HT: Denon AVR-X3400H / Sony UBP-X700 / RT16 / CS350LS / RT7 / SVS PB1000
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Upstatemax wrote: »
    One of the problems for Polk, in general, is a lot of their speakers like power to sound their best.

That usually flies in the face of a budget minded consumer (MOST Polk customers). Power, usually, cost money. So, a lot of Polk speakers are underpowered and suffer sonically because of it.

I firmly believe if Polk stopped trying to make their speakers play so low and make them better balanced they would do far better. Once you introduce POWER or a sub so that they don't have to play so low they do much, much better.

A GREAT example of this, IMO, is the Polk S20's. On a pretty typical receiver that would be used with this speaker they sounded bloated and unbalanced. I'm currently borrowing a 200wpc amp from a friend and they sound much more balanced and controlled. Still a bit too bloated in the bottom end for me, but better. If Polk just tuned this speaker to a more realistic frequency response, it would be a MUCH better speaker.

Naturally, this is all just my opinion...

I agree that Polk's like power... My S20 are driven by a Marantz SR5010 and sound great on both HT and music. My S60 were on the same AVR and sounded good. I added a small Emotiva amp and they sound even better.

When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music

I like how they sound at higher volumes (80-85db's) but at mid or lower level volumes they sound dead. They are powered by Parasound 2250 (275W/channel)
    Using a NAD C375BEE as pre-amp (it also drives smaller ceiling speakers)
    So, I am just wondering if an upgrade is worth it
  • SDAs, you won't regret it.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Robpar wrote: »
    Robpar wrote: »

I like how they sound at higher volumes (80-85db's) but at mid or lower level volumes they sound dead. They are powered by Parasound 2250 (275W/channel)
    So, I am just wondering if an upgrade is worth it

If they sound flat at lower volumes, your problem is probably a impedance mismatch along the lines.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • I like how they sound at higher volumes (80-85db's) but at mid or lower level volumes they sound dead. They are powered by Parasound 2250 (275W/channel)
    So, I am just wondering if an upgrade is worth it[/quote]

I agree about the 12s, no impedance mismatch here and feel the same way. They just don't come alive until they're too loud. OTOH any variety of my vintage Polks seem to be alive and well even with the knob cracked open. IDK.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    How do you know there is no impedance mismatch ? Cables can have it, gear can have it. What's the voltage output on the Nad and whats the input voltage on the parasound.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Because I've seen many comments regarding the same thing about 12s not coming alive until they're too loud and don't sound balanced. I've used the same equipment with my older polks with great results. I have trust that the quality control of the equipment. Better question for you might be do you think everyone that has 12s and thinks they sound flat until you turn them up has an impedance mismatch? I believe it's simple to try to analyze everything but the problem, the 12s.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    Might be why polk decided to revamp the XO and cabinet and call them RTia9....
  • There’s nothing wrong with the 12’s they are a great speaker. They have a very flat/accurate response though and at low volume can sound sterile. Musical speakers tend to have extended highs and lows to some degree so they will sound more dynamic at lower volume, but are not as true to the source recording. Keep in mind reference levels are quite loud and are where the RTI are meant to perform their best. Makes them fantastic for HT but low level music, not so much.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    Not sure what anyone expects from the Rti line for music, they are fantastic for movies, kinda what they were made for were they not?

The LSiM sound great for music IMO, and with the 50% off sale makes them hard to beat...
  • Toolfan66 wrote: »
    Not sure what anyone expects from the Rti line for music, they are fantastic for movies, kinda what they were made for were they not?

The LSiM sound great for music IMO, and with the 50% off sale makes them hard to beat...

Well, that's why I posted originally; to see if there is an upgrade that is worthwhile. LMsi? (now that they are on sale) or go to next level price point...say $2,000 a pair? Aperion towers? Sierra towers?
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Wouldn't really say the Aperion's are necessarily better than the LSI M line, just different.

I really liked the RTI A5's for HT, but after listening to them for music began hearing things I didn't like for music. Adding power, cables, and generally everything else advised here to improve sound, I finally came to the conclusion that the RTI A line wasn't what I was looking for, at least for music. Nothing wrong with that.

Bought the LSI M705's, and after playing them for about a week, felt these were great speakers for music. They only got better as they broke in. Recently pulled the A5's out, and watched a movie, half of it through the A5's and half through the 705's. I think the A5's did a much better job. So I think Polk got both lines right.

There are a couple of manufacturers that offer a product range that is huge, in price. Doesn't matter if it's one of there $500 or $5000 products, I don't like them for music. More people would think I'm nuts than agree with my opinion, but that doesn't really matter. My opinion is important and theirs is meaningless.

To use your example of Aperion, Polk probably sells at least 100 times the speakers, all lines together. Simply cost Polk less to manufacture that LSI series speaker than it cost Aperion to manufacture their Sierra speaker. So I would say the build quality is about the same. The sound will be different, but one sounding better than the other is still an individual's opinion.