Questions about replacement Tweeters & Woofers for RT1000P's???

Options
I blew out my speakers and want to replace and, if possible, upgrade them. I would appreciate any advice.

Here is a pair of tweeters on ebay:http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pr-Audax-Polydax-1-polymer-dome-tweeter-replacement-diaphragms-voice-coils/172207240118?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649, would these upgrade the sound and would they fit?

Also, which woofers should I get?

Thanks!!!

Comments

• Davino1
    Davino1 Posts: 16
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I really want to just fix the RT's, I have another pair of Polks in another room and I want to rehab the 1000p's. Would these tweeters work? Thanks for replying!!!
  • Davino1
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    Do you know how to replace a diaphragm? If not, the only replacement will be used or via Polk and they often don't have those tweeters in stock.

My friend does. I read somewhere years ago that the ones in the ebay link would be an upgrade, is this so or should I just get the oem Polk ones?
  • Davino1
    Options
    Thanks so much!
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,582
    Options
    Give polk CS a call. For my rt55i tweeters they replaced them with better tweeter at 88$ for the pair. They would also be the people to ask about the tweeters and woofer. Let them know you belong to the polk forum sometimes there is a discount.
  • Davino1
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Give polk CS a call. For my rt55i tweeters they replaced them with better tweeter at 88$ for the pair. They would also be the people to ask about the tweeters and woofer. Let them know you belong to the polk forum sometimes there is a discount.

Thanks!
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    For the record there may be a woofer on ebay as well. Pretty sure i seen a mw7201 woofer for sale. I was searching for polk mw to see whats out there.
  • Davino1
    Options
    For the record there may be a woofer on ebay as well. Pretty sure i seen a mw7201 woofer for sale. I was searching for polk mw to see whats out there.

Where do I find the model # that I will need? mw7201 will work? Are the tweeters I posted compatible? Thanks!!!
  • pitdogg2
    edited August 2017
    Options
    It's on the woofer and tweeter. Which one would hope are still on the speaker.

Not sure why you posted two threads about the same thing.

• Davino1
    Options
    It's on the woofer and tweeter. Which one would hope are still on the speaker.

Not sure why you posted two threads about the same thing.

Thanks! I thought my other thread might have been in the wrong forum...

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    Options
    I didn't realize you had two threads going. My response from the other thread.
    Every driver or tweeter has a certain set of parameters designed to work with the crossover and cabinet volume. Therefore, swapping parts without that information is never a good idea.

So, if you're thinking the reason for the damaged drivers/tweeters in your speakers is inferior parts, you'd be wrong. That would most likely be due to user error.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Davino1
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Every driver or tweeter has a certain set of parameters designed to work with the crossover and cabinet volume. Therefore, swapping parts without that information is never a good idea.

So, if you're thinking the reason for the damaged drivers/tweeters in your speakers is inferior parts, you'd be wrong. That would most likely be due to user error.

The speakers blew out because my drunken ex-friend had the volume of the receiver all the way up and they blew. I'm gonna call Polk tomorrow and see what they recommend. Thanks for your help!!!
  • F1nut
    Options
    I stand corrected, ex-user error.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• motorhead43026
    Options
    ^^and F1 pivots and scores. :)
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,063
    Options
    Davino1 wrote: »

The speakers blew out because my drunken ex-friend had the volume of the receiver all the way up and they blew. I'm gonna call Polk tomorrow and see what they recommend. Thanks for your help!!!

Good reason to be an ex-friend ;)

Best of luck getting the back up and running. Unfortunately, I'm of no help in that arena.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • Davino1
    Options
  • Davino1
    Options
    I stand corrected, ex-user error.

haha!!
  • Davino1
    Options
    Is the SL6506 tweeter an upgrade to the 6502's?
  • sdouglas
    Options
    Hey I apologize if I am not using the correct protocol. I am very new to this forum. I found a pair of RT3000p Polk speakers with blown capacitors in both subs for $200. I want to go ahead and buy them but wanted to get some expert advice as to whether or not it’s a good price. Seems like it is as both speakers would be $100 a piece. Thank you for any responses!!!
  • F1nut
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Do you know why the caps blew up? Have you inspected the boards because blown caps can make a mess of things.

President of Club Polk

• sdouglas
    Options
    I have not. I haven't seen the boards. please excuse my ignorance but what should i be looking for in regards to a mess? Thank you so much for responding! this helps a ton as I am a beginner!
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Some caps are very corrosive and when the upchuck their innards it eats the copper traces and you need to be very skilled to jump traces correctly as some can be very tiny. As in very very tiny like several strands of hair. If a large surge spike went through now you are talking scorched earth and for get it.
  • sdouglas
    Options
    Oh wow. That sounds like it may be way out of my comfort zone in regards to a DIY fix. Thank you for warning me. I've been told I can send the amplifiers to Polk and they can repair blown capacitors for about $70 a piece. I am not sure if I should even go through with the sale though. Thank you all for shedding light to my situation. You've been extremely helpful
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Best to get eye's on the boards to be honest and ask lots of questions. Ask what happen to them. Maybe the blown cap story is nothing but a guess.