WTB - LS 70

Hello, new to this forum, so I'm not sure if this is the best spot for this. I'm looking for a pair of Vintage Polk LS 70's, preferably local pick up in, or near, Pittsburgh, PA.

Comments

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    They came in 3 finishes I believe.

Rosewood, Oak and Black I think.

Does it matter to you which finish ?

By the way, I'm way to far from you to assist in person.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    Ask @KennethSwauger to move this to wanted to buy.
  • Hi, I believe you’re right about the finishes. I had the ls50 in rosewood. I’d take them in any color as long as they’re in good shape. Would probably prefer oak or rosewood though.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    IMO I'd be looking for 90's. In my limited listening the larger drivers in the 70's aren't as smooth as the 6.5's in the 90's and 50's. Mids seemed bloated to me. YMMV...
  • Thanks for the info Ken. I’ll keep an eye out for the 90’s
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    IMO I'd be looking for 90's. In my limited listening the larger drivers in the 70's aren't as smooth as the 6.5's in the 90's and 50's. Mids seemed bloated to me. YMMV...

I got lucky by spotting a corner of an LS(?) speaker in a yard sale ad. They said they were moving in the ad so I thought ..GREAT..maybe they will let the set go cheap. Well I was the first one there and it was a set of LS90's....in oak. They were the girls fathers' who passed away unfortunately. I asked how much.. she said what will I pay. I said 100 since I only had about180 on me. She said PERFECT. That's what her and her husband had thought about asking. They even had a LS350 center that was able to get also and I still had some money leftover.

They sound AMAZING now that I switched receivers. I thought the LS90's sounded good before, man was I wrong. I think the Integra receiver had a power problem or something. All the tone and pure direct functions were checked but I had no idea just how much nicer the speakers could sound.

I got a FREE Onkyo TX-DS898 off of Craigs List and eventually swapped the receivers to get Zone 2 back up for my porch speakers. The old receiver was a Integra ...6.4.

Good luck finding a pair, they are hard to come by for sure.

Hats off to Ken for telling us about the models he has heard You can't beat experience !

I haven't heard the other lower models and I have a large room so the LS90's fill the room with powerful, clear and clean sound.

LS90's rule!
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Great story! My dad has a pair of LS 50’s and they’ve been my favorite speaker ever since he bought them in 1995. Hooked up to an Adcom 555, they sound great. I’ve had so many speakers that should have supposedly been better, but never enjoyed them anywhere near as much. This includes magnepan, proac, totem, audio physic etc.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,832
    The LS90's are a rare breed IMO!!!
  • Keeping a look out for a pair in the Pittsburgh area