To mod or not to mod...

FestYboy
FestYboy Posts: 3,861
edited November 2017 in Vintage Speakers
So I recently obtained a pair of series II M4.6 and stumbled upon an XO set for SDSs. All the pics I've found show that they were basically M4 variants with some extra XO components. Now, knowing that the SDS are fairly rare, but the 4s aren't, I thought to myself "why not make my own?"

So I'm putting this out to the crowd: mod the 4.6, get a different M4 to mod, or leave it all be and hunt for real SDSs

To mod or not to mod... 10 votes

Mod the 4.6
20% 2 votes
Find another pair to mod
10% 1 vote
Wait for the real McCoy
70% 7 votes

Comments

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    Sell all of your little speakers and get a pair of 1.2TL's or 2.3TL's.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,636
    What are SDS? If you mean SDAs, then edit quickly before F1 notices lol.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • FestYboy
    xschop wrote: »
    What are SDS? If you mean SDAs, then edit quickly before F1 notices lol.

SDS are surround speakers designed to work like SDAs in a smaller form factor.

@Viking64 if I sold every pair I currently own, I still couldn't afford any of the bigger SRS (3.1-1.2) speakers. I may own alot but I haven't spent alot.
  • TennMan
    TennMan Posts: 1,262
    I like to experiment and this sounds like it might be a good one. Here is an old related post that is interesting. http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/21509/short-sds-400-review
    • SDA 2BTL · Sonicaps · Mills resistors · RDO-198s · New gaskets · H-nuts · Erse inductors · BH5 · Dynamat
    • Crossover upgrades by westmassguy
    • Marantz 1504 AVR (front speaker pre-outs to Adcom 555)
    • Adcom GFA-555 amp · Upgrades & speaker protection added by OldmanSRS
    • Pioneer DV-610AV DVD/CD player
    • SDA CRS+ · Hidden away in the closet
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,636
    Ah ok. I gave a set of those to my wife's uncle. Hes running them in bypass but on a surround receiver. He's actively looking for a set of 10Bs to SDA.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • FestYboy
    There's a mess of 10s in my general area... Not sure if that helps.
  • pkquat
    pkquat Posts: 742
    @FestYboy There are a pair of late model SDS-400 on ebay right now.

@TennMan Interesting link. I never knew the SDS existed with the triforce tweeter. Its also strange they are in a M4A box vs the 4.5/5jr size box.

IMO I like the trifore tweeter better than the SL1500, but I have not heard 4.5's, and I am not sure how much the 4.6 box and port change the sound, plus old components could have played a factor.
  • FestYboy
    @pkquat I've been keeping an eye on those, but not looking to spend that much (yet). I'd rather try to get a pair "locally" so they can be inspected before purchasing.

Here's another thought, I have a beat up pair of 5s... Basically bought them to strip for spares... I wonder if those would be more appropriate to mod with the XO I have vs another pair of 4s?