Where do you draw the line?

Comments

• Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    Get drunk and pass out!
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    In defense, Tom keep in mind that Titanic is 20yrs old, and 3:15hrs minutes long
    My wife wouldn't expect me to endure the movie...just saying
    Okay, that's a given. This is your wife and she knows you. I know you. I wouldn't expect the same. You have history. My wife and have history.

Given a "somewhat new" relationship? Different story.

If I met the woman of my dreams? If she wanted to watch Opera? Well, I would not agree to it at first (obviously) but if it was in her heart and this is what she wanted to watch?

I would leave her. This is me. I can not STAND opera. Same thing with Rap.

That said, anything thing else we both agree on and are cool with? Even if it was something that wasn't......let's say.....100% cool with me on all levels?

If I loved that woman? If I wanted to be with that woman? If I adored that woman? If that woman was one that no other woman could top?

I'd watch the damned movie. No questions asked and I would watch it again 10X only because to be in this wonderful woman's life.....?......it's something that I would never question. When you love someone? You know it. When you want to be with someone? You know it.

When you want to be like Bruce? Leave the woman.

There are two paths here in life.

Don't be like Bruce........or?

Embrace that woman in so much love that it works for life.

Anything else is BS on any and all levels........and IMNSHO? Not worth it at all.

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    If I met the woman of my dreams and she wanted to watch opera, I would leave her....

Signature material Tom
    LMFAO
  • treitz3
    TBT man, TBT.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • ^^Wrong thread, this belongs in the Tesla Model III thread.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    If I met the woman of my dreams and she wanted to watch opera, I would leave her....

Signature material Tom
    LMFAO

I would be careful.

She may simply be testing whether you have developed sophisticated taste and intelligence or, perhaps, whether you have no taste or curiosity at all.

Or, whether you are completely self-absorbed or whether you are interested in satisfying her interests, even when they are not fully compatible with your own.

For example, IMNSHO, anybody who categorically refuses to experience a good production of Mozart's "The Marriage of Figaro" or Puccini's "La bohème" or Strauss's "Der Rosenkavelier" has not developed a very refined taste for music or sense of aesthetic and intellectual curiosity.

Nobody has to like any of these operas, much less rave about them, but to refuse the experience of an artistic achievement of this magnitude -- well, it doesn't make sense to me.

C'est la vie.

De gustibus non est disputandum.
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited November 2017
    Like Richard Prior, tell her to hit the door, but leave the you know what.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    Richard Prior.

As opposed to "Richard Subsequent"?
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    edited November 2017

Signature material Tom
    LMFAO

I would be careful.

She may simply be testing whether you have developed sophisticated taste and intelligence or, perhaps, whether you have no taste or curiosity at all.

Or, whether you are completely self-absorbed or whether you are interested in satisfying her interests, even when they are not fully compatible with your own.

For example, IMNSHO, anybody who categorically refuses to experience a good production of Mozart's "The Marriage of Figaro" or Puccini's "La bohème" or Strauss's "Der Rosenkavelier" has not developed a very refined taste for music or sense of aesthetic and intellectual curiosity.

Nobody has to like any of these operas, much less rave about them, but to refuse the experience of an artistic achievement of this magnitude -- well, it doesn't make sense to me.

C'est la vie.

A little more reading is required there moose baby. That quote is from Tom's post. Bold section below.
    So before you try to insult my intelligence or maturity or anything else you might try to understand i was making a funny
    Hahaha ;):p;)

treitz3 wrote: »
    In defense, Tom keep in mind that Titanic is 20yrs old, and 3:15hrs minutes long
    Okay, that's a given. This is your wife and she knows you. I know you. I wouldn't expect the same. You have history. My wife and have history.

If I met the woman of my dreams? If she wanted to watch Opera? Well, I would not agree to it at first (obviously) but if it was in her heart and this is what she wanted to watch?

That said, anything thing else we both agree on and are cool with? Even if it was something that wasn't......let's say.....100% cool with me on all levels?

If I loved that woman? If I wanted to be with that woman? If I adored that woman? If that woman was one that no other woman could top?

I'd watch the damned movie. No questions asked and I would watch it again 10X only because to be in this wonderful woman's life.....?......it's something that I would never question. When you love someone? You know it. When you want to be with someone? You know it.

Anything else is BS on any and all levels........and IMNSHO? Not worth it at all.

Tom
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited November 2017
    Like Richard Prior, tell her to hit the door, but leave the you know what.

Richard Pryor..................spell check Ugh.

• dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    Name? Pool, dead
  • One important question that hasn't been asked in this thread is this:
    "How is she in the sammich making department ?".
    Let's get our priorities in order, gentlemen.

I'd like to meet the girl of my dreams.
    Shoot, I'd like to meet the girl of YOUR dreams.
    Sal Palooza
  • treitz3

Signature material Tom
    LMFAO

I would be careful.

C'est la vie.

So, I offer an opinion and speak the truth......I am now a self-absorbed, non refined, unintelligent, no taste kind of guy who has zero curiosity or interests in satisfying her interests?

Guilty as charged. I would rather lick a toilet clean with my tongue than watch or listen that crap.....and yes, if I dated a woman (I am happily married for over a decade now) and she wanted me to go watch an opera with her? I would use my self absorbed, uneducated redneck, uninterested, no taste, no musical taste posterior and walk right out the door.

I mean really. Why would I want to spend my life with someone who obviously has drastically different tastes than I? No thanks, I'd rather live my life with the woman I married that shares the same interests, religious, political and musical tastes as I so I can ride off into the sunset of life enjoying things with her.

I akin watching a great opera to eating liver. FWIW, I involuntarily threw up the last time liver entered my mouth. I suppose, based upon your criteria, that I have not developed a refined taste palette as well. Again, guilty as charged.

There are 4 things in life that I hate. Those are rap, opera, liver and terrorists. I wonder what that makes me now....

While I can fully respect and appreciate the surprisingly hard amount of sheer talent it takes to perform an opera, that does not automatically translate into opera being something that I would like to ever listen too. If that makes me a self-absorbed, non refined, unintelligent, no tastes kinda guy?

That's the type of guy I want and aspire to be.

Tom
  • Moose68Bash

Signature material Tom
    LMFAO

I would be careful.

C'est la vie.

A little more reading is required there moose baby. That quote is from Tom's post. Bold section below.
    So before you try to insult my intelligence or maturity or anything else you might try to understand i was making a funny
    Hahaha ;):p;)

Tom

I understood that it was from Tom's post, but if you read what I wrote carefully and not literally, then you will see that my point applies.

I also understood that Tom's comments were made in jest -- as were, to some extent, mine.

:)
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    afterburnt wrote: »
    Does a man have to watch insufferable sappy movies with his woman just to shut her up and keep the peace, and I guess make her happy in some sick perverse way? I tried to watch "Dirty Dancing" with her, what a steaming heap of road apples that film was. She only relented when I started to tie an Alcatraz ascot to the ceiling fan. Seriously that film sapped me of my will to live. Anyway, she wants me to watch "Titanic" with her, should I just kill myself instead of coming home from work?
    My wife and I have very differenet tastes when it comes to movies. I will occasionally watch movies with here when she is gonna watch something that I can enjoy as well.
    Over the years I don't watch movies with her if I don't want to see it. On the other hand she basically never watches the movies I want to watch. We only watch movies together when we both want to see it.
    I think sitting there watching a movie with your wife or girlfriend just for the sake of doing it is stupid. I think it's totally fine for 2 people to share a life together and not always agree on things. I find other things to do.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    edited November 2017
    Titanic is a pretty good 30 minute movie with a 2.5 hour filler. If you can keep from going crazy for the first 2.5 hours the remainder is good. If you skip completely then make sure to at least Google "Titanic Propeller Man".

Titanic was an excellent film if you are history buff. Cooler still was being able to walk the sets of that film when it was being made. It was like being on board the real ship. I even had lunch in the 1st Class dining room while they were filming elsewhere.

If you watch the ship and forget the story, it will amaze you.

I brought a piece of the Grand Staircase home with me after they struck the sets, and could have had the top of the dome for a gazebo if we had a house at that time. I also have 6 ounces of steel from the hull of the actual ship.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • gce
    gce Posts: 2,158
    edited November 2017
    Wife always takes her g/f's to chick flex's. Leaving me alone to crank up the sounds. :D
    Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    Wife and I can watch movies and TV together. Music, not so much. After 27+ years I'll still keep her.
  • Moose68Bash

Signature material Tom
    LMFAO

I would be careful.

C'est la vie.

So, I offer an opinion and speak the truth......I am now a self-absorbed, non refined, unintelligent, no taste kind of guy who has zero curiosity or interests in satisfying her interests?

Guilty as charged. I would rather lick a toilet clean with my tongue than watch or listen that crap.....and yes, if I dated a woman (I am happily married for over a decade now) and she wanted me to go watch an opera with her? I would use my self absorbed, uneducated redneck, uninterested, no taste, no musical taste posterior and walk right out the door.

I mean really. Why would I want to spend my life with someone who obviously has drastically different tastes than I? No thanks, I'd rather live my life with the woman I married that shares the same interests, religious, political and musical tastes as I so I can ride off into the sunset of life enjoying things with her.

I akin watching a great opera to eating liver. FWIW, I involuntarily threw up the last time liver entered my mouth. I suppose, based upon your criteria, that I have not developed a refined taste palette as well. Again, guilty as charged.

There are 4 things in life that I hate. Those are rap, opera, liver and terrorists. I wonder what that makes me now....

While I can fully respect and appreciate the surprisingly hard amount of sheer talent it takes to perform an opera, that does not automatically translate into opera being something that I would like to ever listen too. If that makes me a self-absorbed, non refined, unintelligent, no tastes kinda guy?

That's the type of guy I want and aspire to be.

Tom

You're a lucky man that there only four things in life that you hate!

:)

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    No line, just compromise and give and take. Not rocket science.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    One important question that hasn't been asked in this thread is this:
    "How is she in the sammich making department ?".
    Let's get our priorities in order, gentlemen.

I'd like to meet the girl of my dreams.
    Shoot, I'd like to meet the girl of YOUR dreams.

Or, more importantly, does she have BIG B O O B S!
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    I'll try most any social experience at least once with a woman I'm really in to, then, reassess and decide if I'm willing to do it again. If she's a good sport and goes to a ball game with me, and is pleasant during the game, I'll reciprocate with a play, chick-flick or some other event I might not be really be interested in.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    edited November 2017
    ^^^^That hairdoo would be a miracle for you
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • treitz3
    ANY hairdo would be a miracle to me.

Tom
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    ANY hairdo would be a miracle to me.

Tom

Just use the elusive black spray paint and YOU TOO can have a full head of hair....
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • treitz3
    Either that or turn my dome into a Chia Pet. Perhaps both. Paint the sides black and sport a Chia Pet mohawk....now THAT would draw some heads!

Naw, gotta draw the line there too.

Tom