A serious, legitimate question...

DISCLAIMER: NOT trolling, NOT trying to be funny

While I like a couple of their songs, I am by no means a fan, BUT, I don't understand all the hate for Nickelback?
There are PLENTY of bands that deserve derision, mostly Perry, GAGAG, Grande(the singer, not the coffee) Madonna, etc.

What am I missing?
I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!

Comments

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    The only music I hate is listening to somebody else's music since they are playing it so loud. Otherwise, if I don't like it then I don't buy it. My taste, or yours, is certainly not the gold standard for music appreciation.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    I don't mind a couple of their earspank songs, like to crank it up and rock
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    For the record:

1) I like Rush and Triumph.

2) My favorite NHL team is Montreal.

3) Both of my mother's parent's families were from Canada.

4) I have been to more concerts in Canada than in America.

5) My favorite soft drink was (the now discontinued) Canadian Spirit White Cola.

6) I saw every episode of SCTV from 1980-1982. B)
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    A Habs fan......i knew I disliked you for a reason :D I bleed black and gold even if they do suck.

As for the original question, start here;
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.maxim.com/.amp/entertainment/why-you-hate-nickelback-2016-4
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    More like earspunk.
    Or so I hear.
    I disabled signatures.
  • txcoastal1
    msg wrote: »
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    More like earspunk.
    Or so I hear.

Upon further review...I guess it was "Animals" was the only song I really liked
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• msg
    Dag, Ron, not only are you listening to Nickelback, but you're listening CLOSELY!
    I disabled signatures.
  • mrbiron
    Nickelback...wtf does that even mean?!?!
    Is that the head or the tail...now I hate them even more for making me think.

Earspunk can be seen in the movie, something about mary...
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Because they suck?
  • txcoastal1
    edited November 2017
    msg wrote: »
    Dag, Ron, not only are you listening to Nickelback, but you're listening CLOSELY!

Haven't listened to them in years had to refresh my "oldtimers"

Googled them up....now I remember why it's been so long. Boring, not their fault was a coming out of grunge faze...SOS

Same happened in the 80's hair band days, few nostalgic songs but was the SOS

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    mrbiron wrote: »
    Nickelback...wtf does that even mean?!?!
    I heard through the grapevine that during their first concert, the band was honored that everybody kept saying Nickleback after the end of the concert, so they named the band after this great honor.

Years later, they found out through a long time friend that had kept his secret all those years that they kept saying that they wanted their nickle back.

As to not add insult to injury, the band decided to keep their name and never mention it again.

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Viking64
    edited November 2017
    nbrowser wrote: »
    Viking64 wrote: »
    For the record:

Rush, my sympaties

BOO!

Awesome, what happened to you? ;)

That's cause they know we like a show up here!

5) My favorite soft drink was (the now discontinued) Canadian Spirit White Cola.

Never heard of it, must of been an eastern Canada thing.

You missed a LOT of good stuff then...

Anyways, Nickleback has quite a few good songs, my personal faves are Never Again and Burn It To The Ground. Decent band...enough edge too. Rush sucks by the way and yes I'm Canadian...if my avatar isn't proof enough!

:p Considering you responded to me, I am going to bite my tongue no longer and be a grammar "not see" (%$#@ vanilla)
    for a moment: must HAVE or must'VE, not "must of"!!! And that goes for "should of", "could of", and "would of". And while we are on the subject, I have seen "you're" spelled as "your" at least 50 times on here in the last week alone. MAKE IT STOP!!! *:2_guns_firing_emoticon:* :D

I do, however appreciate the fact that you didn't put a space after your ellipsis as people tend to do online. HAHAHA

And, it's NICKELBACK. It should be spelled like "nickel", not "pickle". *Takes a breath.* :'(

I didn't say that was the ONLY SCTV I saw. Just that I saw EVERYTHING in that time-frame.

Now, as far as comparing Rush to Nickelback? That's like comparing Led Zeppelin to an all female Kingdom Come tribute band. HAHAHAHAHA
  • mrbiron
    Pickleback.......just put a deposit on the domain. :D
  • Viking64
    I don't really know much about them but even I know what their name means. HAHA One of the band members used to work in a coffee shop and their most popular offering was 95 cents, so whenever he rang someone up, people would pay with a dollar and he would say "Here's your nickel back."
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    No one touches Rush.... >:) those are God's among men.
  • mrbiron
    Nicholas Elback used to tend to Chad's, grandmother's dandelion garden. Evwryone in the family loved him.His IQ was later determined to be 37.

That's all I can find on the webs....you have to sift through EV articles to get to the truth.
  • Viking64
    FestYboy wrote: »
    No one touches Rush.... >:) those are God's among men.

I see them as a three-man Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd. I will admit, I only know about 8 of their songs post-"Moving Pictures", and about 15 songs previous, along with all of "2112". (Which probably makes me a cliche.) I use side one of "Moving Pictures" as one of my main reference CD's when comparing audio.
  • msg
    Pickleback.......just put a deposit on the domain. :D

Horrible, smelly visual.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Viking64

Huked on fonix wurked 4 me!

:D

Wii dint hav tht wen eye wuz liddel. I lernt awl eye no frum wahchin skoobie dew.
  • Viking64
    edited November 2017
    A Habs fan......i knew I disliked you for a reason :D I bleed black and gold even if they do suck.
    Hey, I had a 1973 Wayne Cashman card! :p

g6ztf7grg745.jpg

And I also played for Boston when they won 2 Stanley Cups! B)

hbh94v5nwxb1.jpg

7gx2epoh7zm6.jpg

• Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,833
    I for one don’t understand it, I have seen them twice (wife loves them) they put on a rocking good show, they did a killer tribute to Dime Bag (Pantera) after he was killed on stage..

With that said I always told my wife they are the Def Leppard of this generation as Radio just over played them just like Def Leppard back in the day I absolutely hated it....

For the record I love Def Leppard’s first two albums, On Through The Night, and High and Dry..
  • Msabot1
    Msabot1 Posts: 2,098
    Viking64 wrote: »
    For the record:

Rush, my sympaties

BOO!

Awesome, what happened to you? ;)

That's cause they know we like a show up here!

Never heard of it, must of been an eastern Canada thing.

You missed a LOT of good stuff then...

Anyways, Nickleback has quite a few good songs, my personal faves are Never Again and Burn It To The Ground. Decent band...enough edge too. Rush sucks by the way and yes I'm Canadian...if my avatar isn't proof enough!

Rush Canadian?...I remember those boys being from Cleveland,Ohio....
  • Msabot1
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    I for one don’t understand it, I have seen them twice (wife loves them) they put on a rocking good show, they did a killer tribute to Dime Bag (Pantera) after he was killed on stage..

With that said I always told my wife they are the Def Leppard of this generation as Radio just over played them just like Def Leppard back in the day I absolutely hated it....

For the record I love Def Leppard’s first two albums, On Through The Night, and High and Dry..

I remember that Damageplan show..A friend and myself had tickets to that one,but I had to renig because a night fiber cutover came up and I had to take care of business that night..He took mine and went with another buddy...what he told me about it the next day wasn't too cool....I have to agree...High And Dry was their finest..believe they were just kids when they cut that album....
  • msg
    Larry - your vid. Woh. That's rough.
    All the jokes were in jest, but now I feel sorry for them.
    I'll try to give them an honest listen.
    I disabled signatures.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    Maybe he's thinking of Mahogany Rush -- or Rush Limbaugh. Or Fraternity Rush Week... I dunno...

;)

I would like to point out that tonnes of fine music & artists come from our much-beloved neighbors to the north. This guy, for example (one of very, very many):

https://youtu.be/TjXttZzZP8I

oh, and this then-young lady, captured long, long ago (1966) via the magic of videotape:

https://youtu.be/vLu2-gG68S0

• Msabot1
    Msabot1 wrote: »
    Rush Canadian?...I remember those boys being from Cleveland,Ohio....

Fabricated news!

Nope..check out their first release...Cleveland...
  • Msabot1
    Oopps....You're right,just checked mine..but they did get their exposure in Cleveland..That area put em on the map...