subwoofage -- poised to be gettin' real :-)

2»

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    You got switches
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited November 2017
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Look at the Fs of an Altec 604E some time ;)

Plus, don't forget -- there's an On/Off switch on the subwoofer plate amp.

UnitedPhonyHummingbird-size_restricted.gif

MildDevotedArgentineruddyduck-size_restricted.gif
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    edited November 2017
    man, tough room tonight -- all y'all're just jealous.

:)
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited November 2017
    Anybody who puts sub(s) in a two channel is OK in my book. The room decides, mhardy abides.....

Don't you need a license for that weapon? :)
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • mhardy6647
    edited November 2017
    So -- bear in mind the only subwoofer I've ever actually owned was a cheap, 'buyout' special from PartsExpress from years back:
    https://www.parts-express.com/10-100w-powered-subwoofer--309-175

10" "100 watt" Atlantic Technology brand ported subwoofer. The cool thing about it, to me, was a continuously variable "phase" control. Seemed a little more potentially useful than 0/180 degrees in the real world.

Said subwoofer was capable of fairly prodigious thump, but largely of the one-note kind.

The new toy is, for lack of better description, far more musical. Capable of some articulation and nuance... but also of great thump. This, mind you, is with the "250 watt" (@ 4 ohm) Class (D or whatever) P/E plate amp with DSP that I got for my birthday :)

I am pretty happy with it.

38343492471_963491fc9c_h.jpgDSC_9780 (3) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
    (note my fine hand crafted cabinet for the plate amp!)

Now I have to find a good home for the "Atlantic" subwoofer.

o4u6ge9k3edu.png
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    What sort of Mad Scientist-esque device do you have on top of the hamper-looking speaker?
    I will be mailing you a black power cord for that plate amp. Pearl, bisque, beige has no business in anyone's home.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • mhardy6647
    I have black cords -- I thought about boiling some down and reclaiming the pigment to make a crude black paint. I could be rich, I tell you, rich beyond my wildest dreams! Hahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaa!!

ahem.

Here's an embarrassing confession. That is not even the same cord as the one in the earlier photos. I have two of those "orchard tan" (Apple computer colored) cords. This one in the latter photo was the one that was plugged into the erstwhile subwoofer. I do not remember why I didn't use the black cord that the (black) erstwhile subwoofer came with. Maybe it didn't come with one.

I think I have been using a tan, beige, or grey power cord on your Reduction during its long captivity, come to think of it. Maybe it's an ecru cord. I'd have to check.

• mhardy6647
    Oh, the thing on the left?
    It's the cure for the Common Clip Lead. Partial cure, actually, since I don't actually technically own the Goertz foil inductors in those XOs -- so I thought it'd be kind of rude to go solderin' 'em into my XOs, you know? :|

I actually thought I'd posted the photos/story here, but (if I did) I cannae find 'em. Maybe I posted them in an electric car thread, thinking "EV" meant "Electrovoice" instead of "Electric Vehicle". The latter, of course, is synonymous with "Deleted Thread". ;)

http://www.hifihaven.org/index.php?threads/curse-you-o-youth-of-rouge.3093/

37629795824_0ff460c13c_b.jpgDSC_9782 (3) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

I am down to two residual (atavistic) clip leads. Actually, only one clip lead -- and one disembodied alligator clip, used to hold a stripped wire end in good, tight contact with the inductor foil at one end.

All strictly audiophile grade... the slotted angle iron, too.