Shipping Problems :(

TAB
TAB Posts: 41
edited November 2004 in Vintage Speakers
I recently purchased a pair of Polk Audio Monitor 5A speakers on ebay. I received the speakers last night...no apparent damage to the shipping box. The seller had chosen to ship the speakers in one box, each speaker individually wrapped in plastic bubbles with the speaker faces placed on top of each other and the backs of the speakers to the outside of the box. The individual wrapping of each speaker seemed adequate. However, upon unpacking, I found one 6.5" driver cone to be "sucked in" as shown in the attached photo. Upon trying the speakers, I found this driver not to work at all and the 6.5" driver in the other speaker produced sound, but also produced a buzzing sound. So, I have two drivers that are malfunctioning. I sent an email to the seller with the attached photo and he said the speakers worked fine when he packed them and has no idea what happened, but is willing to "make it right."

I have several questions. First, what would make the driver cone "suck up" into the coil like that? It does not appear the driver was pushed in. Upon inspection, it appears the driver is "locked" up. Second, could shipping the speakers face to face have caused some kind of magnetic problem ruining both drivers? Third, what would you suggest as a remedy to "make it right"? Thanks for your help!
[HOME THEATRE]
35" SonyTrinitron
Sony STR-DA90ESG (AVR)
Carver TFM-55X (Amp for drivers)
Carver TFM-55 (Amp for tweeters)
Sony DVP-S530D (DVD)
Sony CDP-302 (CD)
Sony SLV-595HF (VHS 1)
Sony SLV-678HF (VHS 2)
Pioneer PL-L800 (Turntable)
Sony TC-WR701ES (Twin Cass. Deck)
Technics SH-8066 (EQ)
POLK SDA SRS (Front)
POLK Monitor 5B (Surr.)
POLK CS-245 (Center)
[2 CH]
Carver C-5 (Preamp)
Carver M-400t (Amp)
Sony CDP-C85ES (CD)
Technics SH-8055 (EQ)
POLK SDA 1B
Post edited by TAB on

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,964
    edited November 2004
    There is no chance on any good night that could be caused by shipping...

That looks like sun damage, like the speaker was sitting right beside a window...

IMO
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited November 2004
    Sid,

There is EVERY chance that happened in shipping, you dunderhead. How long have you been here, and have you not been paying ANY attention?

TAB,

The MW65xx drivers are NOTORIOUS for arriving frozen, buzzing, or mishapen as your are. The glue used to hold the magnet structer in place, and keep the pole piece inside the voicecoil isn't quite as strong as it needs to be, or must degrade over time.

A good 'jolt' in shipping can cause the magnet (and pole piece) to shift, or sometimes come clean off. Good news is, you can order replacement drivers from Polk, or post a 'want ad' in the flea market, and perhaps a fellow forum member can hook you up with some kind of deal.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • VR3
    edited November 2004
    How can that happen in shipping? The thing looks warped dude, in several areas...

What on earth could happen in shipping for that to happen? Looks as if the driver was under extreme heat and 'reformed'....

I mean I could understand a puncture or a bend or something, but warped drivers??
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • TAB
    TAB Posts: 41
    edited November 2004
    A little explanation: The driver cone is warped because the cone is "sucked" back into the coil. I took the driver out and the cone is being pulled back into the magnet........don't know if my terminology is correct, but that's what is happening.

Russman, I take it from your post that this happens all the time. That is very interesting and explains why another set of 5A's I purchased arrived with a bad driver. Are there any other posts I can find on the subject? Thanks so much for your help!
    [HOME THEATRE]
    35" SonyTrinitron
    Sony STR-DA90ESG (AVR)
    Carver TFM-55X (Amp for drivers)
    Carver TFM-55 (Amp for tweeters)
    Sony DVP-S530D (DVD)
    Sony CDP-302 (CD)
    Sony SLV-595HF (VHS 1)
    Sony SLV-678HF (VHS 2)
    Pioneer PL-L800 (Turntable)
    Sony TC-WR701ES (Twin Cass. Deck)
    Technics SH-8066 (EQ)
    POLK SDA SRS (Front)
    POLK Monitor 5B (Surr.)
    POLK CS-245 (Center)
    [2 CH]
    Carver C-5 (Preamp)
    Carver M-400t (Amp)
    Sony CDP-C85ES (CD)
    Technics SH-8055 (EQ)
    POLK SDA 1B
  • RuSsMaN
    edited November 2004
    Did you read my post Sid?

The driver isn't warped, the driver (attached the voice coil) has been PULLED in, due to the mag shifting.

I've seen it, and others like it myself, in person. What you usually see is the 'drag slick' surround. It's pulled in, and slightly turned, and looks like a drag slick, right on take off.

Off hand, I don't have any bookmarked, search on 'MW65' and see what you get.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • VR3
    edited November 2004
    OH - See THAT explains it.

I have *never* seen that, now I know! Thank you for explaining it! :D

We need to design something that keeps these drivers from moving in shipping...has anyone thought of something?
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited November 2004
    Well, with your full-range driver project complete, you should have some time to rig something up, Sid. Good luck...
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • VR3
    edited November 2004
    Well I don't think I would have to 'build' anything

Maybe put some type of foam like polyfill around the driver between the cone and basket to soften the movement?

I dunno....just a thought ya know...
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited November 2004
    TAB, it's not the sellers fault the shipping company throws stuff around like they do and that the glue is 20 years old. That's the risk you take buying old speakers, he doesn't owe you a thing. As for preventing damage like that you'd have to remove the drivers, pack and ship them seperately.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited November 2004
    The Inca's used to have a lot of problems with "sun" damage when shipping speakers.

If that doesn't make any sense to you...... drink a bottle of Greek cognac and it will. I did just that tonight and it makes perfect sense to me.

George Kraniotakis (of the Jersey Kraniotakis')
  • RuSsMaN
    edited November 2004
    Rare form Jorge', rare form.
  • VR3
    edited November 2004
    Originally posted by George Grand
    The Inca's used to have a lot of problems with "sun" damage when shipping speakers.

If that doesn't make any sense to you...... drink a bottle of Greek cognac and it will. I did just that tonight and it makes perfect sense to me.

George Kraniotakis (of the Jersey Kraniotakis')

Haha, like most things I dont get it
  • RuSsMaN
    edited November 2004
    You're too young for a real Gyro, much less some Greek Cognac.

Perhaps you are better suited elsewhere, ie this thread is persona non grata por Sid.

Cheers,
    Russ
  • VR3
    edited November 2004
    So true man...so true...

:confused: = me
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited November 2004
    Every once in awhile I need to get back to my ethnic roots, and cleanse the rum from mine system.

Russ, you ever get a mouthful of 7 star Metaxa? Obviously you're familiar with the greatest sandwich known to man/woman, the gyro, pronounced "yeeros".

You ever get up here I'll take you to George's restaurant in downtown Mt. Holly for a GREAT gyro. George and his sister Vikki (Vassiliki, I love that name) are from the island of Lesbos. In the summer months I go up there after dinner for coffee, and George and I throw down a few glasses of Metaxa as they're closing/cleaning up.

Now that I think about it, when Doro and Jesse come up to get the latest speaker purchase, that's where I'm taking them to lunch.

The sign-off I used above would have been my last name if my grandfather hadn't changed it when he arrived in the U.S. after departing from Crete. Pronounced Kron-yo-ta-kees.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grands)