Om 9

tonyb
tonyb Posts: 32,902
Any you guys have experience with Mirage OM 9's ?
HT SYSTEM-
Sony 850c 4k
Pioneer elite vhx 21
Sony 4k BRP
SVS SB-2000
Polk Sig. 20's
Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
Grant Fidelity tube dac
B&k 1420
lsi 9's

Comments

• mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    My brother-in-law has a pair with a matching, massive center. They sound really nice, but he's not into music, so I've never listened to them that way. He runs these full-range, without a separate sub. The built-in subs can shake his very large room. He did once have one of the plate amps serviced after it stopped working. Just saying serviced, since I have no idea what was done or replaced. Pretty good speakers, I'd say.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    There's a pair of OM-somethings in my basement* -- they're big but I don't think they're OM-9s. They're pretty decent; all of the Mirages I've heard are pretty darned pleasant to listen to.

24140001459_117f162f21_b.jpg001 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Was thinking of picking these up as they are local to me, just not sure if they'd be dynamic enough for me.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    The OM9's are very musical. When powered correctly they can be a real pleasure to listen to.
    I Installed OM Mirage speakers for years and always thought they where so smooth clear, detailed and warm.
    They can be dynamic and if you where gonna build a OM theater package, with great surprise they really do movie soundtracks justice.
    Mirage subwoofers are also very nice. Nice mix of attack and musical smoothness.
    The OM-9's are a very nice balanced speaker and stand tall in the retail price point.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    I was also very fond of the OM-5's. I'm sure if you search my old threads I'm sure I talked about the OM series and how well they did theater. We use to power them with B&K and Yamaha.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • tonyb
    Thanks for that input Dan, appreciate it.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    edited November 2017
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    There's a pair of OM-somethings in my basement* -- they're big but I don't think they're OM-9s. They're pretty decent; all of the Mirages I've heard are pretty darned pleasant to listen to.

24140001459_117f162f21_b.jpg001 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

* Those are 750's(no letters).They replaced the SM 2.5's.The main difference being the tweeter. IIRC the 750's were the top model in the last series designed by Kevin Voecks before he left to take over the design duties at Snell. (He's now of course head honcho at Revel.) They indeed sounded very good as did most of the range. I had a pair of the smaller 2 ways that I liked a lot.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    nbrowser wrote: »

Dang Ken! That's just mean.....funny.....but mean.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    lightman1 wrote: »

Dang Ken! That's just mean.....funny.....but mean.

And u earn $.75 in eBay bucks!!! How could one resist???
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • tonyb
    edited November 2017

LOL, if I didn't have a sense of humor, Cathy would be rolling up your driveway about now. :D

ANYWAY....these are off the table as it appears I will be snagging some SDA 2's instead.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's