Building my own Audio/Equipment Rack

13»

Comments

• Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,832
    edited November 2011
    carvcom wrote: »
    Very nice work Larry, I love seeing the work of a skilled craftsman.
    You will be enjoying those for many years!!

Thanks!!!

You do know we should hook up someday, Our shop is in Thornton..
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited November 2011
    Damn, Larry. They are beautiful. I like the two different paint styles, it really sets off well with the acrylic.

You could make a bundle off of those, you know...
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    I'm bringing this back to life because I missed it the first time around.

Larry has a nice rack ;):pB)
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    I'm all about racks :sunglasses:
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• Toolfan66
    2011?? Time goes by so fast...
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,066
    WOW!!! Are you working on a Saturn rocket now?

"Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    edited May 2017
    holy...
    This was before my time. That turned out beautifully. Enjoyed the progress photos with all the accuracy and such. Bery, bery nice.
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    r3kis16we3ki.jpg
    I disabled signatures.
  • Toolfan66
    So I took down my system, and had the gold vein blasted off, repainted it a white black vein, I also replaced the gold spikes with brushed nickel spikes, have to say I’m liking the change..
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    What are the wings for?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    And here's a photo of one of Larry's other, more modest, projects.
    8ld30i67f76v.jpg
    I disabled signatures.
  • Toolfan66
    F1nut wrote: »
    What are the wings for?

The left side hold my DAC on the other side holds the remotes and what ever disc I might be playing..
  • Toolfan66
    TT is coming up after a couple cable moves..
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    It looks cheap.....build a more expensive one and sell that hunk of metal :p

The shelf supports are sharp in that color. Don't think we got to see that the first time around.

How heavy is that remote on the top shelf that it needs 1" acrylic to support it?!?!?!?!?!
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    LFOXORACK1014.jpg
    B-E-A-Uti-ful! I'd like 3 stacks: 2 3 high w/the 4th centered, 4 or 5 high. ~$3K which I don't have. Oh well I CAN dream

Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    F1nut wrote: »
    What are the wings for?
    a 4-5 high stack w/ 3 or 4 wings on either side would work too. Too rich for me unfortunately.

Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    Beautiful work!

Bravo!
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• And now for a low tech model.
    Home Depot 59 dollar special, with a venetian blind backing, zip tied to the back of the top shelf.
    I have a retractable faux wood backdrop which one can feed wires through the slats and back.
    It slides really easy out of the way, so I can reach the second rack hiding behind the heavy winter curtains that I hung across the area by way of a spring loaded rod.
    I load all of my extra gear on the hidden rack for easy retrieval, when I want to switch out components.
    It's economic and saves space.
    qrid3ge10vmx.jpg
  • Jazzhead
    Jazzhead Posts: 520
    Awesome craftsmanship there. Very impressive. What kind of pads are those supporting the acrylic platforms? Do they further dampen/isolate the platforms?
    Polk Audio first generation RTA-12s; 12 inch Polk Stands; DHS Speaker Service upgraded crossovers w/ Sonicap/Mills; the "westmassguy anti-lobing mod" (hyperdamped outer drivers/mirror imaged); tweeter anti-diffraction mod; Cardas binding posts; Neotech UPOCC internal wire; foam-lined inner driver baskets; xschop phase plugs; deleted fuses; Hurricane nuts; Sonic Barrier; Dynamat Xtreme
    Ayre K-5xeMP preamplifier
    Cambridge Audio 840C CD player; Herbie's Audio Lab Super Black Hole CD Mat
    D-Sonic Custom Audio M3a-600M monoblock amplifiers
    NAD 4155 FM/AM tuner
    Silnote Audio Morpheus Reference II Series II balanced interconnects; Virtue Audio single-ended interconnects
    Kimber 12TC speaker cable w/Furez connectors; VH Audio Flavor 4 power cables w/Furutech connectors
    Herbie's Audio Lab system isolation: Tenderfeet, Big Fat Dots, Grungebuster Dots, Little Fat Gliders
    Dedicated 20A/10 AWG circuit; Furutech GTX-D (G) outlet; Furutech eTP80; Shunyata Research Venom Defender; Synergistic Research Orange fuses
  • Absolutely gorgeous! Jesse, thank you for bumping this thread. Wow!
    HT
    Adcom GFP-565 Pre-amp, Adcom GFA-565 Mono Block Amps (Front), Adcom GFA-585 Amp (Side), Adcom GFA-555 Amp (Rear), Adcom ACE-515, Pioneer CLD-3070 Laserdisc, Sony CDP-605esD, Sony BluRay BDP BX59, Samsung 50" Plasma, Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL Front (Walnut), Polk Audio SDA SRS Side (Walnut), Polk Audio SDA SRS Rear (Walnut).
    2 Channel (Living Room)
    Adcom GFP-565 Pre-amp (w/Big Sky Audio Upgrades), Adcom GFA-565 Mono Block Amps (w/Big Sky Audio Upgrades), Adcom ACE-515, Sony CDP-705esD, Magnum Dynalab FT-101A Etude, Polk Audio SDA SRS 2.3TL (Walnut), Polk Audio SDA SRS 2 (Walnut), STAX SR34 Electret Earspeaker System.
    2 Channel (Office)
    Adcom GFP-555 Pre-amp, Adcom GFA-555 Amp, Sony CDP-605esD, Adcom GFT-555 Tuner, Polk Audio SDA 1C (Walnut).
    2 Channel (Garage)
    Hafler DH-110 Pre-amp, Hafler DH-220 Amp, Sony CDP-505esD, Hafler DH-330 Tuner, Polk Audio SDA 2B (Walnut).
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    I wonder if Larry is still using that beautiful record cleaning machine he built. That was VERY NICE too!

What imagination and skill. I know Larry adapted a similar rack for his rack and upped it a notch or three. But that record cleaning machine I believe came from him alone. Also, Larry's rings are legendary here!
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • I purchased Larry's Rings for ALL my speakers last year (yikes! must have been 50 pounds of steel in those boxes). Still need to install them.
    HT
    Adcom GFP-565 Pre-amp, Adcom GFA-565 Mono Block Amps (Front), Adcom GFA-585 Amp (Side), Adcom GFA-555 Amp (Rear), Adcom ACE-515, Pioneer CLD-3070 Laserdisc, Sony CDP-605esD, Sony BluRay BDP BX59, Samsung 50" Plasma, Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL Front (Walnut), Polk Audio SDA SRS Side (Walnut), Polk Audio SDA SRS Rear (Walnut).
    2 Channel (Living Room)
    Adcom GFP-565 Pre-amp (w/Big Sky Audio Upgrades), Adcom GFA-565 Mono Block Amps (w/Big Sky Audio Upgrades), Adcom ACE-515, Sony CDP-705esD, Magnum Dynalab FT-101A Etude, Polk Audio SDA SRS 2.3TL (Walnut), Polk Audio SDA SRS 2 (Walnut), STAX SR34 Electret Earspeaker System.
    2 Channel (Office)
    Adcom GFP-555 Pre-amp, Adcom GFA-555 Amp, Sony CDP-605esD, Adcom GFT-555 Tuner, Polk Audio SDA 1C (Walnut).
    2 Channel (Garage)
    Hafler DH-110 Pre-amp, Hafler DH-220 Amp, Sony CDP-505esD, Hafler DH-330 Tuner, Polk Audio SDA 2B (Walnut).
  • @Polkaguy58 , I like your rack! You inspired me to go to Costco last night and purchase their commercial rack ($89) which is a little bit wider. I have some left over 18"x18" travertine tile from when I had the floors done that I am going to use to place the components on in the rack. I'll send some pictures when I get it done.

This is for a temporary rig in the living room while I work on trimming out the Bonus Room upstairs (doing baseboards and crown molding in there).
    HT
    2 Channel (Living Room)
    2 Channel (Office)
    2 Channel (Garage)
  • Toolfan66
    edited January 2018
    Tony M wrote: »
    I wonder if Larry is still using that beautiful record cleaning machine he built. That was VERY NICE too!

What imagination and skill. I know Larry adapted a similar rack for his rack and upped it a notch or three. But that record cleaning machine I believe came from him alone. Also, Larry's rings are legendary here!

I do still have it, just used it this last weekend..

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/96700/diy-record-cleaner-with-a-technics-tt/p1

Where does the time go??

Post edited by Toolfan66 on
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    WOW! I miss so much here by not reading every thread. Larry, your stand is seriously amazing. I don't own a piece of equipment worthy to sit on that rack. A+ Will the acrylic scratch easily by using the wing for sitting remotes and CD cases on or is it hard like glass? I've never handled acrylic before, that I can think of.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited January 2018
    Wow, 4 years.

I'm glad you're still using that beautiful machine! :)

Our lives are like a roll of toilet paper. ;)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.