Keep or Return - CSI A6 damaged in shipping

ArsenalFC
ArsenalFC Posts: 50
edited November 2017 in Speakers
Hi all,

I found a CSI A6 last week on ebay via a private seller that came at a good price ($150 + free S&H). It turns out he didn't have the original box and used a combination of bubble wrap and air pouches within a larger cardboard box. The cardboard box was dented in a few places but it didn't look too bad.

Once I got it open and unwrapped, I found three areas of damage. Both powerports were cracked/broken and there's damage to one of the corners of the speaker itself. I lightly shook the speaker and it sounded like there was a small piece of something in there floating around. I'm speculating it was a small piece of powerport.

I did hook it up temporarily and looped it in with the rest of my system and it sounded pretty good.

That being said. Would you return the speaker outright or entertain keeping it for a reduced cost?

Is it possible to find replacement powerports for this speaker? Is there much risk for internal component damage that I wouldn't have seen?

As always, your thoughts and input are welcome and appreciated.

wxei6ql4ulwb.jpg
sge8gdgowqy1.jpg
zjy73jtn9d5u.jpg

Comments

• DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    I'm picky about the appearance of my gear, so that would be getting returned if I'd received it in that condition. Where are you placing the speaker? Will the damage be visible?
  • DaveHo wrote: »
    I'm picky about the appearance of my gear, so that would be getting returned if I'd received it in that condition. Where are you placing the speaker? Will the damage be visible?

It'll be sitting on top of the entertainment center (exposed on the sides but with a wall behind it), which is why I'd really like to replace the powerports. The one nick on the wood is certainly not ideal, but if this ends up being $75 it may be worth putting up with that imperfection so long as it sounds great.
  • NotaSuv
    NotaSuv Posts: 3,811
    send back you'll find another...that one port looks pretty chewed up
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Return it. Why pay that much for a damaged product.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    That's just terrible.

Yep, return it.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Return it.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,707
    Return it. The seller is an idiot for packing it that way.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Thanks for the feedback everyone. Clear consensus is a return. I think the only way I keep them is if it's effectively free for me to do so. Either way I'd be looking to replace it shortly.
  • DSkip wrote: »
    That was my point. Shipping will be about $50 and you'll want to package it better which might cost another $15-20. He'd be lucky to get it back and have any value in it for him so I'd consider it a wash if I were in his shoes.

If he gets it for free, can get the broken powerport parts cheap enough and live with the crunched corner after a quick touch up it might be worth using. It all depends on how he feels about the appearance and if it still sounds good..

"Make a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Light
    a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

• mrloren
    if the sell wants to refund some or all of the cost and not ship it back the yes replace the power ports and take a hot iron to the corner and try to flatten it out a bit.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • F1nut
    A hot iron will cause even more damage.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    If you get all your money back, Polk may be able to sell you a new cabinet and the power ports for about the same money you will get back. Just swap the drivers and crossover to the new one and you will be golden.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mrloren
    F1nut wrote: »

With veneer it's hit and miss, One cheap stuff I've had luck others I should have never tried. It's already dinged so it might be worth a try.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    Return it via a torpedo tube aimed directly at the seller's skull for being such a dumb-a$$.
  • F1nut
    mrloren wrote: »

With veneer it's hit and miss, One cheap stuff I've had luck others I should have never tried. It's already dinged so it might be worth a try.

The corner is crushed, the MDF cabinet seam is split, the lacquer is cracked and chipped with pieces of veneer missing. The only thing worth trying is tossing it in a dumpster.

President of Club Polk

• headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited November 2017

^^^^^I would take Jesse's (F1nut) advice. He won't steer you wrong, especially regarding wood. (OK, NOT that wood..... :D )^^^^^
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • mrloren
    edited November 2017
    headrott wrote: »

^^^^^I would take Jesse's (F1nut) advice. He won't steer you wrong, especially regarding wood. (OK, NOT that wood..... :D )^^^^^

I totally agree..... as I am just a novice woodworker. The hot iron worked on some Ikea stuff. other stuff it just made it worse a lot worse.
  • F1nut
    edited November 2017
    headrott wrote: »

I totally agree..... as I am just a novice woodworker. The hot iron worked on some Ikea stuff. other stuff it just made it worse a lot worse.

That's a technique for helping to swell shallow dents or scratches on raw wood. It will not work if there is a finish on the wood. Say you have a shallow dent, place just enough water in the dent to fill it. Let that soak in for 5 or 10 minutes. Fill again if needed. Then wet a towel, which should be big enough that the iron doesn't overlap. Place the wet towel over the dent and with the iron set to high heat press the tip area down firmly on the towel trying to keep it centered over the dent. Do this for a few seconds at a time looking at the dent in between to see how things are progressing. Sometimes the dent will come level and sometimes it simply isn't as deep as it was. When you think it's as good as it will get dry the wood with a dry towel and let the piece air dry for at least 24 hours before doing anything else. Of course, this will raise the grain, so light sanding will be required after the wood is dry.

I should add that this works a lot better on solid wood verses veneer as veneer is extremely thin with the adhesive and substrate playing a big role.
    Post edited by F1nut on

President of Club Polk

• mrloren
    Yes I knew about using an iron on raw wood. Couple years ago a friend was showing me how to use the iron on Ikea junk and it worked. I've tried it a few times and it worked on the cheap stuff but on better veneers it made it worse.