Help with system design

Planning a system for a family member with some restrictions. Going to be in a family room which is somewhat open to a hallway in the front but closed off to the back at listening position. Needs to be bookshelf speakers up front, no room for towers. Also per WAF needs to be in-ceiling surrounds and couch is up against back wall (less than ideal I know). Room is wood floors, mostly hard surfaces. Have not yet had a chance to demo yet but from what I read, favoring S20 fronts over RTIA3s as by most reports seem to have softer highs which may do better with reflections and hard surfaces in the room.

Question is which in-ceiling's to use for surrounds and would be closest in sound as none of the in-ceiling series specifically seem to be timbre-matched. Other option would be to go with RTI-A3s up front and 70-RT for surrounds which are matched.

Open to other options/opinions!

Thanks

Comments

• Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Are they going to use a sub with this system as well?

What’s going to power the speakers?

Honestly, the S20’s don’t have a lot of WAF. They are very deep for a bookshelf speaker and need A LOT of room to not sound as bloated.

• Looking at Denon x2400h. They have a small Dayton sub which is good enough for them... Not big on heavy bass. Going to be prob 75% tv, 25% movie watching.
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    MC60/80 are a good match for the Signature line. I just put a pair of MC80's in my system replacing RC80 and they do match a lot better. If there is a Fry's near keep an eye on their add, I picked mine up for $48 each. Sign up for the Fry's promo code to get the bet price.

The S20 are a nice bookie, they are a little on the big side. They do sound great. for both music and HT. I have mine paired with an older HSU STF 2 which does very nice. Are the S20 going to be on stands or a book shelf?
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • Upstatemax
    Not a lot of power with that receiver, I would back down to the S15

Easier to drive and should blend nicely with a smaller sub.

Either way, I doubt you’ll have a real issue matching them with Polk in-ceiling surrounds.
  • Fronts going to be on open shelving. Might look into more beefy reciever if anything good BF deals coming especially.

• Upstatemax
    If they are going to be that close to the back wall, I might skip the Signature line all together.

Look for something front ported to keep as balanced a soundstage as possible.

Not sure you’re going to find a higher end receiver on any Black Friday deals...

Check out accessories4less for refurb units to stretch the dollar further.
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music