David Gilmour Live at Pompeii: now available on Blu-ray

David finally returned, after 45 years, to the amphitheater in Pompeii where he and Pink Floyd played and recorded in 1971. The new concert is currently available on Blu-ray, DVD, CD and vinyl. I've ordered the deluxe Blu-ray version, but am still waiting for it to arrive.

Wondering if any here were able to attend the 1-night-only screening here in the US on September 13th, or if anyone has received their copy of the Blu-ray as yet? I quite enjoyed his Remember That Night Blu-ray (even with the questionable cameras in a number of shots), and of course the Live in Gdansk DVDs. Wondering for those who have seen this latest show, what your impressions are of both the music/audio, but of course the video quality.

This one was recorded over two nights it appears, and directed by Gavin Elder. Filming is said to have been done in 4K (would LOVE to see a 4K Blu-ray release soon, but sounds unlikely). Audio for the Blu-ray is presented in either 96/24 PCM Stereo or 96/24 DTS MAA as is the viewers preference. The trailers look spectacular, and no doubt it would have been quite something to have been there to see it all live.

Anyway, just thought I'd see if any others here had seen and/or had thoughts on David's latest?

https://youtu.be/mOATSoRQxME
AVR: Denon X3200W
Mains: Polk TSx440T
Center: Polk CS10
Surround: Polk TSi300
Sub: Polk PSW110
Video: LG OLED65B6P Panel
BDP: Sony BDP-S6500 Blu-ray player

Comments

• mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    edited October 2017
    Just listened to this on tidal. It's very good. And for a live album, it sounds really good.

I'm sure the bluray will be fantastic, and to be there would be spectacular! These guys are getting old, a once in a lifetime opportunity.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• Uilleann
    Uilleann Posts: 159
    David is what - something like 71 now? I can hardly believe he's still touring at all, and globally at that. For him to still have the ability to pull it all off, and sound as good as he does is a testament to his skill, and fully deserved place among the absolute best guitarists/musicians in our lifetime.

On a technical note, (when the Blu-ray arrives, I'm wanting to host a small get-together & screening at my place with a few friends from back in my planetarium lecturing days - Laser Floyd Baby!) I'm still somewhat confused between the two audio formats they offer. If memory serves, the PCM should be the better audio source vs the DTS MAA, is that correct? Though on the surface it looks like the sample rate and bit depth are identical between the two formats. I seem to remember that PCM is uncompressed, while the DTS is somehow up-sampled to that resolution...or is a variable resolution or something along those lines.

Anyway, I'm thrilled, and having a difficult time waiting for my copy to arrive. :smile:
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    edited October 2017
    I caught the showing on 9/13 in DFW at the Studio Movie Grill. The wife and I both enjoyed it. I can remember watching the Laser Disk back in the day of the original Live at Pompeii. I still have it somewhere.

The new material was very well done. The sound was good but the theater I was attending was not really setup for that level of sound reproduction. My wife made a few comments during the show saying we need to see this at home.

Gilmour/Pink Floyd is in the top 3 of my favorites. This show was put together well and I would recommend catching a viewing when you can.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • Uilleann
    I've got the Blu-ray on its way to the house as I write this. Hope to have it by mid week. Then to enjoy it on the (admittedly very modest) home 5.1 surround, and OLED 65" tv.

Strange really, it seems that most of the cities that hosted a screening were only set up for one or two screens, and a single showtime. And the theaters choses to screen were all reportedly small, and with out of date audio capabilities. I was thinking this would be shown in IMAX with laser projection and full Dolby Atmos surround. Pity it wasn't even remotely close to that it seems. :(
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    I know a guy who took his "girlfriend" to Pompeii to see the show. She dumped him not long after - I know, that's a "shocker," right?" Should've taken me. B) He couldn't stop talking about the show when he first returned. I am going to have to get ahold of the blu-ray.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    I just ordered this thanks for the Heads up.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    What are you guys paying for the blew ray?
  • Uilleann
    Picked mine up from David's site directly:
    https://store.davidgilmour.com/product/X3AMDG09/david-gilmour-live-at-pompeii-box-set?cp=null
    Paid $69.98. Amazon might be cheaper, but I haven't looked.
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited October 2017
    I pre-ordered mine from amazon and now their telling me it is sold out and cant estimate when it will be back in. :(

paid $19 for mine but then they never delivered
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • Uilleann
    That can be the problem with the 3rd party sellers on Amazon sadly. Really, not much different than bad sellers on ebay - and very little means to tell if a transaction might go south until it does. Hope your discs arrive soon!
  • voltz
    mine was not a 3rd party vendor -it was amazon LLc
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

• Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    edited October 2017
    Saw Mr. Gilmour and the rest of Pink Floyd in 1972. In their second set they came out and performed the entire album of the something called "Dark Side of the Moon"

This was a HIGH lite in my my life that I will never forget!

And yes, I will be picking up this latest offering also.
  • Uilleann
    voltz wrote: »
    mine was not a 3rd party vendor -it was amazon LLc

Huh. Strange. I'd file a complaint in that case for certain.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    voltz wrote: »
    I pre-ordered mine from amazon and now their telling me it is sold out and cant estimate when it will be back in. :(

paid $19 for mine but then they never delivered

The Amazon listing that I glanced at was $77 the picture showed a 3 disc set. Darryl was that the blew ray for $19? Just wondering I am dead in the water right now and can pay attention.
  • Uilleann
    As of this morning, when I log in to my Amazon Prie account, they're showing pricing like this:

$26.98 for single Blu-ray (NON-deluxe set)
    $15.49 for audio CD
    $80.19 for Vinyl
    $24.99 for DVD
    $77.99 Deluxe Blu-ray
    $39.99 Double CD

And a few other listings for European versions etc. You can also order directly from David's site if you prefer. Pricing is clearly listed there as well as stock status. Hope you're able to grab the discs you want soon!

Brian~
  • voltz
    I printed my order page then took this photo of it with my phone.
    owct1wgoudm8.jpg

• Uilleann
    *shrug* don't know what else to say on that one. I'd be contacting Amazon though for sure. Perhaps see if they have a different offering that is in stock? Might cost a few bucks more...but no real Idea. Or order directly from David's site...
  • Uilleann
    I'd suggest just buying from David's site then.

https://store.davidgilmour.com/dept/live-at-pompeii?cp=84222_84671

Double CD $19.98
    Double DVD $24.98
    Blu-ray $26.98
    Double Blu-ray & Double CD $69.98
    4 LP set $99.98

Worth a look if the Amazon pricing or availability is distressing. :)

With that said, I'm excited to get my copy tonight. Looking forward to a fun weekend with friends watching the show and remembering our days performing the LASER Floyd shows at our old planetarium. Good times!!
  • voltz
    I just got a update to my order's delivery date, it now saying between Oct 18th and Nov 1st. so maybe they will ship it someday LOL.

• Uilleann
    Looks like mine just arrived today (a day late from original estimate, but not too concerned). Looking forward to the first screening! :smiley:
  • voltz
    looks like my Blu ray has Shipped!

• Uilleann
    Had a small watch party at my place last weekend. Great little bit of film this. The sound was excellent, and the video quality MUCH improved from his last Blu-ray (Remember That Night) from 11 years back. I was surprised at the small size of the audience - only a couple thousand were present each of the two nights.

Excellent musicianship across the stage, and some surprising new treatments to old favorites like Money, Great Gig in the Sky, and Shine On. As usual, Run Like Hell got the short hairs on on the back of the neck during it's finale. And Comfortably Numb was as solid as its ever been. One of These Days, the only carry-over from the original 1971 film, equally stunning to see there again.

Lots of drone shots with Vesuvius in the background really lent a sense of the place. Very cool to see the light and sound from a height. All in all, I'm well pleased! Anyone else have thoughts upon viewing their copy of the shows?

Cheers

Brian~
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    I have a blu-ray of the Albert Hall show, which I really like. I know this is a relative question, but I've been on the fence suddenly about getting this new one, does it make sense, and why or why not???
  • Uilleann
    Without too long and drawn out an explanation - GET THIS ONE. It's every bit as good as the RAH show, and in many regards far better. This may well be David's final concert like this as well. He's not getting any younger!
  • Nice! Thanks for the heads up. Will order a copy.

Enjoy!
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    Just received a notice that my copy is shipping today, so I should have it by Friday (at the latest). Since my accident, I have work of 'till Monday, so I will have an opportunity to watch this. I am looking forward to it.

On a (similar) side note, I hope that Pink Floyd: Live at Pompeii will come out on blu-ray (eventually) with the correct speed and without all the "director's cut" digital s*it included. Just give us the original version (16X9 is fine) but without all the added stuff and at the correct speed (not too fast).
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • Uilleann
    edited November 2017
    I honestly have no idea what you mean about "correct speed" The video is a direct 1:1 of the live event, presented with a standard frame rate. It isn't an old VHS with a dying roller motor... Honestly just rather confused by your statement there...

(Edited to add: on second look, I believe you were referencing the original recording with Pink Floyd, and not the latest Bluray which this thread was about. Sorry for the confusion if that's the case.)