Florida

tonyb
tonyb Posts: 32,902
Back from a long weekend, really enjoyed the break too as we got to see relatives we don't see often, soak up some sunshine, eat and drink well. Stayed in Coral Springs with a relative, around University and Palm. Spent a lot of time in Deerfield beach, as the wedding was at the Deerfield country club anyway which btw the food and staff were outstanding there.

rx8ja53qc3g3.jpg

Me and the wife are on the left closest to the sand. One thing that baffles me about Florida, no bugs. Sitting out by my relatives house by the pool, they have an open garbage can and I never saw so much as an ant in the 4 days I was there. Yeah, lizards may eat a lot of bugs, but that many ? Not even a fly. They don't freeze either so nothing dies off. On my deck, even if I spray bug spray around, they come back in 2 days and I certainly can't have an open garbage can, ever. Just doesn't make sense that Chicagoans should have more bugs than Florida, all things being equal.
HT SYSTEM-
Sony 850c 4k
Pioneer elite vhx 21
Sony 4k BRP
SVS SB-2000
Polk Sig. 20's
Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
Grant Fidelity tube dac
B&k 1420
lsi 9's

Comments

• decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    Hate to bust your bubble but as a lifelong resident of the Sunshine State I can assure you, we have bugs,lots of them!!!!
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • Florida has bugs, they just give them fancier names like "palmetto bugs'.
    As a matter of fact, Northrop Grumman based their design of the A10 Warthog off of the Florida mosquito.

Nice looking bunch, btw. In fact ..... well .... I better just leave it at that. Nice looking bunch. B)

Sal Palooza
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    So yes and no on the bugs... We have some really big bugs here in FL, but if you can catch a breeze they don't bother you. My pest control comes once a quarter to the house and have never seen a bug in the house. There are a lot of things here that eat bugs. As far as mosquitos go I used to get bit more in NJ in the summer, but if you go outside on a still evening they will find you... One of my date palms was flowering early this year and there were thousands of bees just going after the nectar it was AMAZING to see and then the next day they were gone.

We rarely if ever get a freeze in SWFL and bugs like that.

My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • Mikey081057
    Or maybe @Lightman1 was there recently and they haven't recovered from the gas attack yet.

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • Looked like you had a good time. I love going to Florida. Went down in July, and it was so strange that there was a Red Lobster right on A1A. I could not believe that the place was packed every night. Who goes to Florida and eats Red Lobster?! Reminds me when I took my great aunt years ago to her podiatrist. His office was down a flight of stairs to the basement.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Or maybe @Lightman1 was there recently and they haven't recovered from the gas attack yet.

No sir.....can't pin that on me. Up in NC however..... ;) Nary a bug, squirrel, chipmunk etc. was to be seen last weekend.
  • Mikey081057
    charley95 wrote: »
    Looked like you had a good time. I love going to Florida. Went down in July, and it was so strange that there was a Red Lobster right on A1A. I could not believe that the place was packed every night. Who goes to Florida and eats Red Lobster?! Reminds me when I took my great aunt years ago to her podiatrist. His office was down a flight of stairs to the basement.

And did you ever notice that you drive on a parkway and park on a driveway...

• Mikey081057
    lightman1 wrote: »

No sir.....can't pin that on me. Up in NC however..... ;) Nary a bug, squirrel, chipmunk etc. was to be seen last weekend.

The wind was coming from the North.

Just Sayin'

• Nice looking group, Tony. Glad you enjoyed your brief stay and dodged the bugs. Come back sometime when the "love bugs" are doing their thing. They'll spooge your car up in a heartbeat.
  • Another good thing about Florida is that there aren't any chiggers.
    Chiggers don't play fair and definitely hit below the belt.
    Sal Palooza
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    Another good thing about Florida is that there aren't any chiggers.

I'm just gonna leave this one alone. :p
  • Another good thing about Florida is that there aren't any chiggers.

No chiggers? Didn't know that. Fire ants must have eaten them all.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517

There is no such thing as global warming... its just @lightman1 increasing his cigarette intake (and as such the chemicals added to the air) from 1 pack to 50 due to workload and that Iowa cold :smile:

He's like the Chuck Norris of the Polk Forum. You always hear about him, rarely see him, and if you HAVE seen him and survived, you have battle scars, or dead shrubbery to prove it :wink:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776

There is no such thing as global warming... its just @lightman1 increasing his cigarette intake (and as such the chemicals added to the air) from 1 pack to 50 due to workload and that Iowa cold :smile:

He's like the Chuck Norris of the Polk Forum. You always hear about him, rarely see him, and if you HAVE seen him and survived, you have battle scars, or dead shrubbery to prove it :wink:

You are learning fast, grasshopper.....
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,087
    Nice group photo. Glad you're having a good time. The gent in the blue shirt right front has to be your brother.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Glad you had a great time Tony, thought you were off sulking because Verlander stole your girlfriend :p

2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Mikey081057
    Did you at least get to enjoy some STONE CRAB? Ts the season... yum i might just go for some right now.

• westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    edited November 2017
    Looks like a lot of fun Tony.
    Curious though, you had your back to the water?
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    Such a great picture Tony. Not necessarily quality wise but what it really is, a picture of a family / friends having a great time .
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Looks like a good time @tonyb :smile:
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    That's funny about the bugs! My wife said the same thing at panama city beach! But my daughter lives in Tallahassee and I got bit up by her place. Maybe its just less closer to the water sides of the state? ?
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • tonyb
    I dunno man, they tell me they have to have the exterminator come once a month to keep the place bug free. I don't know what they use down there, but we need some of it up here if it works that well. Almost seems like our bugs up north are immune to the crap they use.

Plus, if your spraying that stuff inside and out once a month, can it be all that good for you or the pets ? Might explain a few things... :):)

Not my first time there, or at Deerfield beach, but I find it getting overly expensive for what you get to eat. 234 on the beach was disappointing compared to last time I visited. Heck, they don't even have a decanter for the nicer wines. Rocko's Taco's in Fort Lauderdale.....sucked, and it was packed. You'd think with the Latin population down there it might be better. Guac was excellent though. Compounded by a waiter who didn't know the menu himself. Started to wonder if he knew he even worked there.

This bug thing just amazes me though, not even an ant....anywhere, outside by the pool, open garbage can.....nuthin' ? Little geckos everywhere, had a nice conversation with one at 4 a.m. as I took down the outside clock to turn back the time. Seems he didn't appreciate me waking up his old lady. I apologized and let them both sleep in. I'd offer them a bug too but ya know....there are none.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Mikey081057
    East Coast of FL is very expensive just like NYC. West coast is much more affordable. Not as built up as you would expect but we have everything here you would need. SW FL from Sarasota to Naples and Marco Island are growing right now so the time to get in affordably may be growing short.

With regard to bugs, the stuff they use nowadays is much less toxic than the old poisons. I have no pesticides inside my home but get the perimeter and lawn treated quarterly. If you keep your house clean then that will be sufficient.

• tonyb
    I wonder if inside anyway, it has to do with the lack of carpeting in most Florida homes, for the obvious reasons. Heck man, I didn't even see any sqeeters, anywhere, even by the beach or out on the streets.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Mikey081057

was there a breeze?

• Garlic keeps more than just vampires away. Just sayin'...
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Great timing of this thread Tony!

Our clan will be leaving the cold temps of PA for the warmth of Florida in a little over a week. Looking forward to a little vacation. We'll be spending a few days at Disney (Daughter No. 1 is performing with her high school orchestra), then about a week at the beach in Sarasota, and stopping for a few days in Savannah, GA on the drive back north. Looks like Florida's west coast has become our new family Thanksgiving tradition. B)

Mikey - Where would you recommend getting stone crabs? We'll be near St. Armand's staying on Lido Key.

Mike - still working out details with the family on meeting up with you all again! Looking forward to it.
  • scubalab wrote: »
    Mikey - Where would you recommend getting stone crabs? We'll be near St. Armand's staying on Lido Key.

Mike - still working out details with the family on meeting up with you all again! Looking forward to it.

Places we've tried and enjoyed stone crab in Sarasota in no particular ranking order:

Owen's Fish Camp - Burns Lane (close to where you are staying on mainland)

Fresh Catch Fish Market & Grill - South Tamiami Trail

Casey Key Fish House - Blackburn Point Rd.

We've heard good things about Dry Dock Waterfront Grill up a bit north (from where you'll be) on Longboat Key, but have not had stone crab there.

Joe's in Miami is the premier place for stone crab. I think they have other locations, but none near here.

Let me know if you'd like to hit that music venue I sent you.
  • Mikey081057
    BlueMDPicker is the Sarasota expert I am further south.

But do enjoy!

Sarasota is beautiful and the gulf area around Siesta Key is the nicest beach in the
    country